GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Mar 23, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #5,176 of 8,893
Yea I was previously using my WiFI Mesh Unit so same concept. It's great. Issue is, for some reason in the last day Roon stopped reading the Gustard R26 via Lan. Anyone know by any chance what could be wrong? Roon is reading it fine through USB, but LAN it's not showing up anymore. I have made sure I'm on LAN on the Gustard when I'm checking.
I'd check with another free control app such as bubbleupnp on android or Mconnect on an iPhone/iPad to see if they see the R26 renderer on the network. If found that would then discount a router DCHP IP address problem. I don't use Roon myself so can't advise on that software.

Mar 23, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #5,177 of 8,893
Yea I was previously using my WiFI Mesh Unit so same concept. It's great. Issue is, for some reason in the last day Roon stopped reading the Gustard R26 via Lan. Anyone know by any chance what could be wrong? Roon is reading it fine through USB, but LAN it's not showing up anymore. I have made sure I'm on LAN on the Gustard when I'm checking.
Reserve on the router static IP address for Gustard. Standard rules apply: it must be unique in the LAN space and outside DHCP limits (while some routers have this function integrated with DHCP server). It will prevent it happen again.

Ping this addres to see a response. Reboot Roon computer and try again.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #5,178 of 8,893
Reserve on the router static IP address for Gustard. Standard rules apply: it must be unique in the LAN space and outside DHCP limits (while some routers have this function integrated with DHCP server). It will prevent it happen again.

Ping this addres to see a response. Reboot Roon computer and try again.
Thank you. I see where I an do address reservation on my mesh unit. Issue is, I don't see the Gustard Renderer currently on the list of devices. So not sure what the issue is. Maybe I should try connecting it to something else. I wish I could go into network settings ip settings on the Gustard, but I'm guessing I need a computer to show it on the address reservation list, correct?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #5,179 of 8,893
I wish I could go into network settings ip settings on the Gustard, but I'm guessing I need a computer to show it on the address reservation list, correct?
You could go to the setting on Gustard if router had no IP reservation option. Better do it on the router.

Router will show IP address reserved for Gustard, and whether link is established. Write this address down. Then from the Roon computer use command line 'ping' padded with this address you wrote down.

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #5,180 of 8,893
You could go to the setting on Gustard if router had no IP reservation option. Better do it on the router.

Router will show IP address reserved for Gustard, and whether link is established. Write this address down. Then from the Roon computer use command line 'ping' padded with this address you wrote down.
yea thanks. Unfortunately the app I was using with mesh setup did show the device as not connected but didn't see the IP and then I removed the not connected devices so I doubt I can get that info back. I'm at a loss. Luckily I've actually really been enjoying the DAC over USB again with plain NOS. Super great DAC either way. I might just wait for a firmware update if it happens. I wonder if I need some kind of total reset. I could try a different mesh unit or router at some point too. Thanks for your help!

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #5,181 of 8,893
yea thanks. Unfortunately the app I was using with mesh setup did show the device as not connected but didn't see the IP and then I removed the not connected devices so I doubt I can get that info back. I'm at a loss. Luckily I've actually really been enjoying the DAC over USB again with plain NOS. Super great DAC either way. I might just wait for a firmware update if it happens. I wonder if I need some kind of total reset. I could try a different mesh unit or router at some point too. Thanks for your help!
You could try reinstalling the Gustarender, which should probably reset your settings.

Otherwise, see if you can set it up again via the router if it has a Dect button or maybe activate Dect via the router software.

These could be two ways to try.

Mar 23, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #5,182 of 8,893
Have any of you had the opportunity to compare sound quality of the following two scenarios?

1. Connecting an ethernet cable directly from a basic router (like the D-Link I already have) to the ethernet port of the R26 or A26

2. Running a USB cable into a U18 DDC (that I already have) and then using its i2s output to connect it to the R26 OR A26

Not doubting that you guys are getting amazing sound quality with switches, filters, repeaters and such (which I know very little about) it's just that (at least for now) I want to keep it simple. Thanks

Mar 23, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #5,183 of 8,893
Have any of you had the opportunity to compare sound quality of the following two scenarios?

1. Connecting an ethernet cable directly from a basic router (like the D-Link I already have) to the ethernet port of the R26 or A26

2. Running a USB cable into a U18 DDC (that I already have) and then using its i2s output to connect it to the R26 OR A26

Not doubting that you guys are getting amazing sound quality with switches, filters, repeaters and such (which I know very little about) it's just that (at least for now) I want to keep it simple. Thanks

You may check this review:

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #5,184 of 8,893
You guys got me once again, I just bought an OCK-1 :sweat_smile:

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #5,185 of 8,893
And what lie did you say this time to your wife? 😂

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #5,186 of 8,893
No lies, I simply went the she won't notice another electronic box in the pile of electronic boxes route...

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #5,187 of 8,893
You could try reinstalling the Gustarender, which should probably reset your settings.

Otherwise, see if you can set it up again via the router if it has a Dect button or maybe activate Dect via the router software.

These could be two ways to try.
Thank you so much! Happy story - IT WORKEDDDDD!!!! So if anyone ever has this issue with lan not reading...easy fix is reinstalling the gustarender on first page. It didnt work until I restarted my computer after the full process. Now I appreciate the lan port so much more ha! I also did the address reservation on my mesh unit settings for the gustarender so hopefully this doesn't happen again.

Can't thank you enough! Now I can't wait to hear people's thoughts on external clocks more and more as we move forward here.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #5,188 of 8,893
Quick question, I know this was covered some time ago, but I can't find the posts.
Is the attenuation digital, ie do we lose bits as we drop the output volume? I'm getting a Liquid Platinum HP amp soon and it's a very hot amp with no gain adjustment, and I'd like more volume control.

Mar 23, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #5,189 of 8,893

I did exactly this back in Oct - compared the Zen Stream > USB > U18 > I2S > R26 to Router > Cat 5/6 ethernet > R26, OCK-1 clocking both U18 and R26.

Actually I realise you're probably asking for sans-ext clock head-to-head comparison, but anyway - see below for the comparison for what it's worth.

This was before getting the LHY SW-8 switch in Dec and then a second but much cheaper Netgear GS108E switch in Jan which progressively widened the gap between R26 LAN vs U18/I2S more than a better USB cable - the pure silver Gothic Audio Semperfi Outsider - narrowed it.

I have pretty much the exact same setup.

Mac M1 mini (Roon + HQplayer) > Zen Stream > U18 > R26, with the OCK-1 clocking both (c2 cable to U18 and generic 50 ohm to R26). DSD256 & PCM384. Have had my LHY for 3+ weeks now, so a little longer running in.

Have also tried Mac M1 HQP > R26 internal NAA streamer via ethernet. PCM768 & DSD256. Haven’t managed to get DSD512 working yet on the M1.

R26, U18 & OCK-1
Agree with you with the nature of the OCK-1 improvements which are perhaps a little more pronounced for me:
  • Probably the biggest benefits are with the Zen/U18 chain, by connecting the clock to both the U18 and DAC, brings additive benefits, uplift of U18 ext vs internal is say 1.5x that of switching the R26 to ext clock
  • there’s a more subtle but still valuable effect with the R26 NAA direct, an increase in depth and sense of acoustic space, note decay with the R26. R26 alone sounds a touch flat in AB comparison. EDIT: It’s not subtle when you use the Gustard C2 to connect the OCK-1. I just AB’d the generic 50ohm BNC vs the C2 connected to the R26. DAMN. I’d say the OCK1 + C2 is at least twice the improvement in sound over the R26 with internal clock than the OCK1 + generic BNC. With the C2 the soundstage is both higher and deeper with better macro and micro dynamics. Not subtle. The C2 let’s the OCK1 show what it’s capable of.
R26 internal streamer vs Zen + U18
I have to say the R26 via its internal NAA with PCM768 is to my ears a big step over PCM384 on either setup, the latter the max the Zen is capable of of course. R26 is very, very impressive for a ‘one box’ DAC/streamer solution when fed PCM768 from HQplayer. A really engaging dynamic, detailed (if not quite DSD level), full and natural sound with heaps of PRAT. The OCK-1 adds the finishing touches.

On DSD256 I’m still comparing the two (see caveats below), but listening last night it was very close, in fact I think I’d give the edge to the R26 NAA direct, vocals a touch more focussed and palpable, if not PCM768 level. I like the greater precision of the DSD256 soundstage vs PCM, and the greater definition of bass notes but miss the dynamic energy and tonal weight of PCM768. A mix of the two would be awesome… maybe DSD512.. wish me luck.

CAVEATS / posssible limiting factors
- my Sopra no 1’s are pretty resolving so YMMV
- Using this USD100 Aliexpress USB cable from Zen (supposedly Ok, but need to try another)
- generic Cat 5/6 Ethernet cables (next on upgrade list)
- Power - all generic power cords etc apart from Ifi Power X for Zen (looking at regen + cords)
- I need to take the Zen out of the chain and try PCM768 & DSD512 via the U18
- I need to try swapping the clock cables around

Mar 24, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #5,190 of 8,893
@DeckHiFi
Glad I could help, have fun with the R26.✌️😊✌️😊

@BShaw

Yes you can.
There are two possibilities if you are using Roon, you can change the Dsp settings or you should set the volume down via the loudspeaker symbol under other settings, e.g. 10 db less, so that you have more control in the potentiometer.
And find your personal sweet spot.

The other possibility would be to set Attunion, Dsd and Nos to off on the R26 and regulate the rest with the remote control to the personal sweet spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back