GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Feb 11, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #4,516 of 8,870
Go right to the first page of this thread.
Follow and read the links about Fiber Media Converters. 👍🏻
do i need still to use lan with the fiber set up

Feb 11, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #4,517 of 8,870
It sounds to me like you need a wifi extender like Cam has.

Assuming you have a broadband connection + wifi router elsewhere in your house, then in the room your hifi is in:
- wifi extender (receiver) > ethernet cable >> FMC box 1 > fibre cable >> FMC box 2 > ethernet cable >> R26

With advice on FMCs and power supplies on page 1.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #4,518 of 8,870
Assuming you have a broadband connection + wifi router elsewhere in your house, then in the room your hifi is in:
- wifi extender (receiver) > ethernet cable >> FMC box 1 > fibre cable >> FMC box 2 > ethernet cable >> R26

With advice on FMCs and power supplies on page 1.
This should be enough in most cases:

WiFi extender in a wired network adapter mode -> UTP Ethernet Cat5e -> R26

Use not a fancy extender N300 $15 with power plug build-in (no power cable). Plug it into the HiFi extension box next to a DAC. Most of extenders configure automatically in a wired adapter network mode when plugged to a DAC.

Optionally, if your WiFi router allows it, create a separate wireless access point for this conection, VLAN on the wired router or both.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #4,519 of 8,870
You don't have to - you can go straight from a wifi extender (or mesh network) if you put one beside the audio equipment. If you go with fiber, you'll still need lan to run into the fiber solution and back out the other side.

Feb 11, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #4,520 of 8,870
Has anyone being trying PGGB files with the R26? I have been experimenting and am finding they sound v v good going through the ladder with NOS ON. v close to upsampled PCM files to DSD 512 with Direct DSD ON. Seems like a good (if expensive option) for those who have a lot of local files and don't want to upsample.

Feb 11, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #4,522 of 8,870
Today I noticed I can't reduce the volume on the Gustard. Stuck on Fixed. Anyone have this issue before?
Have you put NOS ON or DSD Direct On?

Feb 11, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #4,524 of 8,870
Has anyone being trying PGGB files with the R26? I have been experimenting and am finding they sound v v good going through the ladder with NOS ON. v close to upsampled PCM files to DSD 512 with Direct DSD ON. Seems like a good (if expensive option) for those who have a lot of local files and don't want to upsample.
Been eyeing this. Not sure if I have the cpu processing power though.
What have you found that works etcetc?

Feb 11, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #4,525 of 8,870
Pggb up to 128 is v good and is almost identical to dsd 512 (via hqp upsampled from Qobuz files). Haven’t tried 256 yet and I haven’t tried 1024 with the Gustard yet.

I like that there is less processing on my machine with pggb files once they are processed and saved to local and with Roon arc, the flexibility to use on the go is great which is not there with hqp.

Pluses and minuses. Overall - if you stream, go hqp. If you have a big local file system and don’t mind the pggb costs (software and maybe extra dsd storage), then it’s worth taking a look at pggb.

Early days still - more testing to go.

Feb 11, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #4,526 of 8,870
Pggb up to 128 is v good and is almost identical to dsd 512 (via hqp upsampled from Qobuz files). Haven’t tried 256 yet and I haven’t tried 1024 with the Gustard yet.

I like that there is less processing on my machine with pggb files once they are processed and saved to local and with Roon arc, the flexibility to use on the go is great which is not there with hqp.

Pluses and minuses. Overall - if you stream, go hqp. If you have a big local file system and don’t mind the pggb costs (software and maybe extra dsd storage), then it’s worth taking a look at pggb.

Early days still - more testing to go.
are you doing 16fS or 32fS @128?
How much RAM ya got?

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #4,527 of 8,870
16fs @ 128 so far. As I understand it, 16 bits is about right for the Gustard given it’s sinad score - applies to hqp too.

16gb ram on my MacBook Pro.

Feb 12, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #4,529 of 8,870
..... As I understand it, 16 bits is about right for the Gustard given it’s sinad score .....

R26 linearity degrades rapidly above 18bits, so you might want to do 19bit depth processing to match the ladder accuracy and then avoid dithering? Does doing 19bits cost much in processing time compared to 16bits with dithering?
Linearity-20-2-1024x777.jpg

Just for R2R reference, the Holo May shows what good engineering can do (maybe about four times better). That is unlikely to be audible usually.
820HoMayfig11.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back