GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Jan 25, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #3,871 of 8,842
If there is anyone here who would like to beta test Tidal Connect with the R26, pm me with your email and I’ll pass your info on to Mr Zhang at Gustard.
He contacted me yesterday to check up on the issues I’d been having, and asked if I wanted to test it out. I told him no but I’d inquire and send him contact info for some people who would be interested. It’s great to see these guys keeping their promises, not just floating “in future update” and never coming through, kudos to Gustard for being so responsive in general to the end users!

Jan 25, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #3,872 of 8,842
If there is anyone here who would like to beta test Tidal Connect with the R26, pm me with your email and I’ll pass your info on to Mr Zhang at Gustard.
He contacted me yesterday to check up on the issues I’d been having, and asked if I wanted to test it out. I told him no but I’d inquire and send him contact info for some people who would be interested. It’s great to see these guys keeping their promises, not just floating “in future update” and never coming through, kudos to Gustard for being so responsive in general to the end users!
@BShaw, any way you could inquire with Mr Zhang as to the timeline on when the firmware update is planned to add the ability to turn off the display screen?
As of now, I'm putting the R26 into standby mode when I go to bed each night but I'd like to be able to leave it on most of the time.
Cheers!

Jan 25, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #3,873 of 8,842
@BShaw, any way you could inquire with Mr Zhang as to the timeline on when the firmware update is planned to add the ability to turn off the display screen?
As of now, I'm putting the R26 into standby mode when I go to bed each night but I'd like to be able to leave it on most of the time.
Cheers!
Will do, I'm with you on this one. I've left mine on 24/7 since I realized it fixed my external clock error.

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #3,875 of 8,842
Hello,

During the burn-in phase, I occasionally switched off the R26 without any effect on the sound or the like.

Since I was out last night and it was running for the last time on Monday, I had it switched off until just now.
Personally, I don't notice anything that has changed in terms of sound, even after 30-45 minutes, but if I have, I have noticed that it sounds better after a certain amount of time.

Gustard himself wrote me in the support ticket that you can switch it off without hesitation.
If that is so important to you, you can switch it on an hour before.
Then the biggest spook is already over.

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #3,876 of 8,842
For me was R26 disappointment, playback stuttering problems, hum problems, for asked price not really good. IMHO :frowning2: Sound was OK, but nothing magical, less resolution than X26Pro. But not everybody can be happy, right? :) So no problem here we have many choices to pick. :)
I have read this complaint in some other forums, however I have not experienced these issues. I hope you find the DAC for your taste, this hobby is time consuming, especially with all the DAC options. I was saving for the Holo May KTE, but for now I will stick with R26.

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #3,878 of 8,842

Literally was just about to post this.
I really don’t understand these reviewers sometimes lol. They seem to always miss the best parts of these DACs.
The Ares now has an I2S which buddy didn’t use, and no reviewer to my knowledge has used the LAN input to stream lol.

Imagine reviewing a Porsche GT3 and never getting out of first gear lol

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #3,879 of 8,842
Literally was just about to post this.
I really don’t understand these reviewers sometimes lol. They seem to always miss the best parts of these DACs.
The Ares now has an I2S which buddy didn’t use, and no reviewer to my knowledge has used the LAN input to stream lol.

Imagine reviewing a Porsche GT3 and never getting out of first gear lol
I recall him saying that he streamed using Roon with the R26

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #3,882 of 8,842
In any case preference of these DACs is probably system dependent. Since I disagree with his assessment. The R26 was much better than the Pontus 2, which in itself is an upgrade over the Ares. I do agree the bass slam on the R26 isnt as good as some chip DACs I've heard.
Agree I even said so on the review. R26 had me selling my Pontus 2 and not buy the Venus 2 I was demoing.
My Yamaha As2200 just does bass perfectly so I don’t get the “lack of bass”
people seem to mention.

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #3,883 of 8,842
In any case preference of these DACs is probably system dependent. Since I disagree with his assessment. The R26 was much better than the Pontus 2, which in itself is an upgrade over the Ares. I do agree the bass slam on the R26 isnt as good as some chip DACs I've heard.
I can't say that.
On tube amps, the bass is magical for me.
And definitely better than with the DeltaSigma.
The Ares was out for me straight away, despite the update.
The Ladder Schumann had been on the shortlist again.

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #3,884 of 8,842
Agree I even said so on the review. R26 had me selling my Pontus 2 and not buy the Venus 2 I was demoing.
My Yamaha As2200 just does bass perfectly so I don’t get the “lack of bass”
people seem to mention
I use Simaudio Moon W5.3 power amp and run a couple of speakers. That amp is quite beefy. I noticed the bass drop with my Maggies when i swapped out my old chip DAC for the R26. It didnt bother me since i just had to adjust my subs.

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #3,885 of 8,842
@duffer5

My Finisar Aoc cable arrived today.
I first listened to the I2S input and then switched to the Fmc boxes with the first noname optical cable.
And it was generally bright in the sound.
The voice of Simply Red was clearly more forward. (At first I thought you don't know that, it will fit).
But with the Finisar Aoc cable, my first impression was that it was clearly darker (but not negatively, quite the opposite).
And Simply Red's voice is clearly more placed and correctly presented.
Vocally it is also much more pleasant and accurate.

And the rest of the bass, slam mids, treble separation, timing, detail, homogeneity are much much better.
I'm biting myself right now because I have to go to bed soon because of work.
The Finisar cable is really good and worth the wait.
And not comparable to the optical cable that Amazon offers.
It's two worlds in different ways.
Thanks again for this good tip with the cable and your help with the selection of the boxes.
It was definitely worth the effort, even if I have to listen to it for a while longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back