GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 16, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #2,581 of 8,847
I think you may be right and I have contacted the seller, Yanjing Store on Ali. I got the Beatechnik cable today and threw it right in, no difference. Nice cable though, Huler and Suner Ecoflex 400 with Amphenol connectors. Double shielded, silver coated copper conductor. Wish I could tell you how it sounds :sob:

Ugh terrible news. So sorry B.
If they are giving you a hard time and you used PayPal you can file a claim with PayPal and get a refund.
Happened to me once too

Dec 16, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #2,582 of 8,847
When I stream via Roon and upsample to DSD using HQPlayer I hear a soft noise at the beginning and end of every song.
Also when I pause a song I hear this soft noise for a few seconds.
When I play DSD directly or upsampled via Roon I don’t have this issue.
Any R26 owner here that has the same experience ?
what version of the streamer are you using?

Dec 16, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #2,583 of 8,847
When I stream via Roon and upsample to DSD using HQPlayer I hear a soft noise at the beginning and end of every song.
Also when I pause a song I hear this soft noise for a few seconds.
When I play DSD directly or upsampled via Roon I don’t have this issue.
Any R26 owner here that has the same experience ?

You can check to see what firmware you have for the R26, but my guess is HQplayer doing something weird.

Dec 16, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #2,584 of 8,847
Ugh terrible news. So sorry B.
If they are giving you a hard time and you used PayPal you can file a claim with PayPal and get a refund.
Happened to me once too
I've contacted the seller I bought the R26 from too, it could be the BNC input of the DAC for all I know. Ugh, to have heard such refined sound for only a few hours and then have it disappear is slightly annoying, thankfully the internal clock is very good so I'm not exactly impoverished here with my FWP.

Dec 16, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #2,585 of 8,847
It is difficult going back to sigma dac after hearing a good r2r dac like this Gustard r26
Gustard A26 on the way
now it turns out that this is the new grail with great sound and all that. by the way on delta sigma

Dec 16, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #2,586 of 8,847
what's with Gustard threads....they get derailed with clock discussion etc etc. Same is the story with Gustard U18 where it's all about the clock and BNC cable to be paired with it and nothing else
Probably because the U18 has been discussed to death by now and there's nothing else new to talk about. But yeah I've never seen a forum get threads hijacked like they do here. LOL. It's all good.

Dec 16, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #2,587 of 8,847
Well the first 100 pages were all about how incredible this DAC is. Frankly the best sub $3500 DAC that has ever existed.
So I guess we got bored of telling each other what we already knew and moved to experimentation and helping each other get the absolute most performance we could out of this.
nothing is best.... all are good and different

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #2,588 of 8,847
This is such a good R26 thread though. It has everything in it. Praises, critics, support, upgrades, etc. I've had received almost instantaneous help from other owners here. I'm also learning about clocks, optical network converters and cables. Hmm... I just changed my opinion. This is not a good R26 thread, this is the BEST R26 thread online.

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #2,589 of 8,847
This is such a good R26 thread though. It has everything in it. Praises, critics, support, upgrades, etc. I've had received almost instantaneous help from other owners here. I'm also learning about clocks, optical network converters and cables. Hmm... I just changed my opinion. This is not a good R26 thread, this is the BEST R26 thread online.

Hey now! Slow down!!! I just learned that……

“nothing is best.... all are good and different”
😂😂

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #2,590 of 8,847
nothing is best.... all are good and different
I don't think many here would disagree, pretty sure @camrector 's point was to colourfully convey (pretty accurately IMHO) the passionate sentiment and focus of those first 100 pages, not the truth of that sentiment.

There's been a great number of comparatives in this thread to DACs at many different price points - below, the same as, slightly above, and well above. Often with multiple people independently reaching the same conclusion. Not every DAC covered of course, very little if any comparisons to Holo Spring or Sonnet dacs for eg.

With the odd exception preference (person X with Dac Y) the consensus/ weight of evidence/anecdotes (admittedly probably inherently skewed by the fact they're in this thread, but that's life) favours this being an exceptional DAC at its pricepoint and above you'd have to spend a lot more on to clearly better. Holo May being one such clear step-up example.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #2,592 of 8,847
For some of us like me, who have been previously contemplating renowned mid-upper tier R2R DACs like the Venus, Musician Aquarius, Sonnet Morpheus, I don't need to know the R26 'beats' them... just that it is very competitive and snapping at their heels. And if you place a little more value on PRAT vs say purely the richest vocal timbre & palpability (eg Denafrips) then in some ways it may exceed them.

But anyway... the $1.5k price difference for someone like me allows plenty of room to play around with upgrades, tweaks like external streamers, DDCs, cables, power, network improvements and with the serendipitously timed release of the market disrupting OCK-1 & 2, quality external master clocks. Prior to their arrival equivalent performance cost >$1.6k for the Gustard C18, so wouldn't have been on the table for most folk here.

The fact that many of us have discovered the internal streamer of the r26 is so good (when fed an appropriate protocol, and preferably with clean ethernet) that it betters or achieves parity with all but the most expensive external streamer and/or DDC setups makes the value even more remarkable.

Edit - a couple of extra points...
- I hope this goes some way to explaining the passionate enthusiasm of me and others in sharing our optimisation experiences (speaking of which apologies in advance for my pending further impressions of the LHY SW-8 switch with the R26 😉)
- I consciously chose a DAC with an industry standard 10mhz external clock upgrade path vs the Denafrips/Musician with their bespoke external clock input frequencies (22/45mhz IIRC). VERY glad I did.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #2,593 of 8,847
You can check to see what firmware you have for the R26, but my guess is HQplayer doing something weird.
Firmwares are both the latest, CT221115 and 1v4 Upgrade.
I also think that the solution lies within HQPlayer or NAA and have already informed the developer.
Still I would like to know if other R26 owners face similar issues with HQPlayer when they upsample to DSD.

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #2,595 of 8,847
Firmwares are both the latest, CT221115 and 1v4 Upgrade.
I also think that the solution lies within HQPlayer or NAA and have already informed the developer.
Still I would like to know if other R26 owners face similar issues with HQPlayer when they upsample to DSD.
There is typically a few seconds of very faint clicks/pops before playing tracks pcm-dsd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back