GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 15, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #2,552 of 8,912
My plan of battle (...well just a plan) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::
Ether Regen Project.png

BUT there's this. Don't know how good it is: https://kamaudio.com/TeraDak-T-S211-media-converter

T-S211c-500x500.jpeg
T-S211a-500x500.jpeg
T-S211e-500x500.jpeg

Too much Audio Nervosa....maybe i'll rest a little...:upside_down:
well the price is just right for TeraDek with no need to buy any external LPS and has OCXO version as well.

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #2,553 of 8,912
Yes I saw that, tempting, but thought I'd resist long enough for some other early adopter to blaze the trail... hint 😉
I have it on order but it will pair with Metrum Ambre streamer that I have and not with Gustard.

Dec 15, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #2,556 of 8,912
I have it on order but it will pair with Metrum Ambre streamer that I have and not with Gustard.
Give then some impressions! I know its not that expensive. But a quick word about it should be nice... :ksc75smile:

Dec 15, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #2,557 of 8,912
From what I've read the R26 has NAA built in. Does anyone use this option with HQPlayer and is there a sonic difference to Roon direct over ethernet?
I tried. NAA works without difficulty. But SQ is better for me with Roon. The Roon endpoint seems to be better implemented than NAA.

Dec 15, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #2,558 of 8,912
Oh I just noticed you have the Pasithea, awesome. The Ambre combo must pretty sweet. Became aware of Cees Ruijtenberg''s gear (and my Sopras for that matter) through the Alpha Audio guys, who are huge fans.

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #2,559 of 8,912
Oh I just noticed you have the Pasithea, awesome. The Ambre combo must pretty sweet. Became aware of Cees Ruijtenberg''s gear (and my Sopras for that matter) through the Alpha Audio guys, who are huge fans.
I tried multiple DDC and Streamer but later realized Ambre is best match for Sonnet and Metrum DACs

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #2,560 of 8,912
From what I've read the R26 has NAA built in. Does anyone use this option with HQPlayer and is there a sonic difference to Roon direct over ethernet?
Yes, there is a perceivable difference in midrange. Vocal is more accentuated with Roon -> R26's LAN. I initially enjoyed this but once I switched to Roon -> HQPlayer -> R26's LAN, I much prefer the latter. Nothing sounds out of place which can sometime happen with direct Roon to R26's LAN setup. It really depends how vocal centric the music is.

Dec 16, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #2,561 of 8,912
Yes, there is a perceivable difference in midrange. Vocal is more accentuated with Roon -> R26's LAN. I initially enjoyed this but once I switched to Roon -> HQPlayer -> R26's LAN, I much prefer the latter. Nothing sounds out of place which can sometime happen with direct Roon to R26's LAN setup. It really depends how vocal centric the music is.
I agree that it can sound like the vocals are a little forward. It depends on the setup.
But I would like to point out that everything sounds more alive with Roon, the orchestra is there in the room.
Whereas with HQ Player it sounds more like good HiFi.

Dec 16, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #2,562 of 8,912
I agree that it can sound like the vocals are a little forward. It depends on the setup.
But I would like to point out that everything sounds more alive with Roon, the orchestra is there in the room.
Whereas with HQ Player it sounds more like good HiFi.
No disagreement here. Both Atrium's and Arya's mids are already very strong so the additional boost can be a bit too much. There are some tracks where I wish the vocal can be more forward, the direct LAN between Roon and R26 sounds perfect indeed.

Dec 16, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #2,563 of 8,912
I have a Roon PC, a NAS and of course the R26. All of this is connected to each other via ethernet switch, ethernet cables. I also have an external clock that I can only connect to the DAC. The network switch is ordinary with smps. How important is it if I get an audiophile switch with an OCXO clock? When the signal is reclocked in the DAC, via an external clock, what is the influence of the OCXO clock in the network switch?

Dec 16, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #2,564 of 8,912
I’m having an issue with my OCK-1, not sure though if it’s the clock, the R26, or the cheap temporary cable between them.
Things went fine for the first few hours with the external clock, then last night when I fired up the system there was no music with the clock setting to ext, but an error message on the R26 screen that read “ext err”. When I switch to the internal clock it’s fine. The other thing is that now there’s a popping sound when swapping back and forth or when switching inputs. Hoping it’s just a crap cable. I’m going to try the other outlets on the OCK today and also the toslink and LAN inputs, this was happening with coax from my CDT.
Does this ring any bells?

Dec 16, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #2,565 of 8,912
So far I have ordered the plastic unmanageable Netgear. It uses 12V, I have such an LPS. I will wait for LHY to release a switch that will be able to receive an external clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back