GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 16, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #2,598 of 8,912
Dear friends,
I want to buy the R26 and maybe someone can help me:
1. I have a Mano mk2 streamer with I2S that is Ps audio compatible that cannot be changed.
What is the best way to use the Mano mk2 with the gustard R26 using i2s?

2. Is there a way to use gustard's streamer with Tidal and spotify connect so maybe I will use the onboard streamer instead the Mano mk2?

3. I think that there is a firmware update for the r26.
Where can I download it and find instructions?
Gustard's site and service is quite problematic.

Thank you very much!

Dec 16, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #2,599 of 8,912
Dear friends,
I want to buy the R26 and maybe someone can help me:
1. I have a Mano mk2 streamer with I2S that is Ps audio compatible that cannot be changed.
What is the best way to use the Mano mk2 with the gustard R26 using i2s?

2. Is there a way to use gustard's streamer with Tidal and spotify connect so maybe I will use the onboard streamer instead the Mano mk2?

3. I think that there is a firmware update for the r26.
Where can I download it and find instructions?
Gustard's site and service is quite problematic.

Thank you very much!

You won’t be able to use the i2s connection. You could use a usb output of the streamer but….
Or purchase a separate DDC.

My suggestion is sell the Mano and use the LAN connection and built in streamer of the R26

Dec 16, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #2,600 of 8,912
You won’t be able to use the i2s connection. You could use a usb output of the streamer but….
Or purchase a separate DDC.

My suggestion is sell the Mano and use the LAN connection and built in streamer of the R26
I guess he could try getting a custom I2S HDMI cable made thst correctly remaps the pins on the PS Audio layout to rhe Gustard layout. Though from what I've read that can be hit and miss. (@ilan5555 search for 'custom' in this thread) May be worth a go though. So he could at least compare to the R26 internal streamer.

But the fallback option you suggest isn't a bad one given how good the R26 streamer is...

Dec 16, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #2,601 of 8,912
Ok, y'all. I'm back with a quick update. I received the CORRECT fiber cable this time and have the fiber converter set up using an iFi SMPS on the TX side and an LPS on the RX side.
I'd like to give a special thanks to @camrector for the help guiding me to the correct kit. The key for me was finding a converter set that used 5v PSUs as I already had extras on hand to accommodate this.

I did not A/B before cranking up the fiber, but it sounds divine!

As mentioned earlier by others, this thread is not ONLY about the DAC, but also about finding ways to get the most out of it.
I think fuses, DDCs, clocks and fiber converters all add to the experience, but it would still be an amazing DAC regardless.

Currently, my 3 input paths are:
A. USB>U18 DDC [w/ OCK-1]>R26 [via I²S]
B. Cat 8>Pi2AES>R26 [via AES with OCK-1 into the R26] and
C. Cat 6>Fiber Converter [w/ LPS]>R26 [via .5m Cat 6 with OCK-1]
To me, they all sound good, especially with the OCK-1 but prefer route B and C for pure enjoyment.
I think most of the time I will use C [LAN] for music listening and A [U18] for using windows sounds [gaming, YT, movies, etc].
B [Pi2AES] sounds good as well, but is limited to PCM.

And in regards to what @ilan5555 was asking about, I concure with Jake and Cam. Just start off with the LAN because it's easy to set-up and sounds great.

1671242169613.png

All in all, I LOVE THIS DAC!!!

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #2,602 of 8,912
I guess he could try getting a custom I2S HDMI cable made thst correctly remaps the pins on the PS Audio layout to rhe Gustard layout. Though from what I've read that can be hit and miss. (@ilan5555 search for 'custom' in this thread) May be worth a go though. So he could at least compare to the R26 internal streamer.

But the fallback option you suggest isn't a bad one given how good the R26 streamer is...

I didn’t think that was possible.
For example
If pin 1 is data/dsdl + on the R26
And pin 1 is data /dsdl - on the Mano
How would you make that happen?

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #2,603 of 8,912
I didn’t think that was possible.
For example
If pin 1 is data/dsdl + on the R26
And pin 1 is data /dsdl - on the Mano
How would you make that happen?
I haven't looked at the particular pin configuration here, but I guess if in the example you gave if say pin two in each case had the required inverse +/-, the cable remap would point the internal cable from pin 1 at one end to pin 2 at the other. At least that's my understanding of how it can be done as a solution. No idea if it'd be viable here..

Edit- by remap I mean a physically customized cable with a connection between pin 1 at one end and pin 2 at the other.

There's known scenarios where remapping is no solution like for eg the DSD/PCM flag pin 15 where the DI20 DDC send no signal at all for that... nothing to remap. (Workaround there that worked for some but not all was to short pin 15 to ground at the sending end... hence me saying hit and miss)

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #2,604 of 8,912
I haven't looked at the particular pin configuration here, but I guess if in the example you gave if say pin two in each case had the required inverse +/-, the cable remap would point the internal cable from pin 1 at one end to pin 2 at the other. At least that's my understanding of how it can be done as a solution. No idea if it'd be viable here..

Edit- by remap I mean a physically customized cable with a connection between pin 1 at one end and pin 2 at the other.

There's known scenarios where remapping is no solution like for eg the DSD/PCM flag pin 15 where the DI20 DDC send no signal at all for that... nothing to remap. (Workaround there that worked for some but not all was to short pin 15 to ground at the sending end... hence me saying hit and miss)

I gotcha

Dec 17, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #2,605 of 8,912
The clicks/pops where reduced significantly by upgrading from v1.3 to v1.4 but the noise I mentioned earlier still remains when playing upsampled DSD via HQPlayer/NAA
Have you tried HQP striaght through usb or I2S without using NAA? I am very interested in this dac but it has to play DSD through HQP for me to take the leap.

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #2,606 of 8,912
Have you tried HQP striaght through usb or I2S without using NAA? I am very interested in this dac but it has to play DSD through HQP for me to take the leap.
Jussi (HQPlayer) supplied me with a test file (with recorded silence -120dB). When I upsample this to DSD (using Roon or HQPlayer) I hear a soft noise on R26; when I upsample the same file to pcm there is no noise. I have asked the seller (shenzhenaudio) to contact Gustard and verify if this is a known issue and if it can be fixed.

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #2,607 of 8,912
Jussi (HQPlayer) supplied me with a test file (with recorded silence -120dB). When I upsample this to DSD (using Roon or HQPlayer) I hear a soft noise on R26; when I upsample the same file to pcm there is no noise. I have asked the seller (shenzhenaudio) to contact Gustard and verify if this is a known issue and if it can be fixed.

Maybe you are hearing effects of upsampling DSD caused by Roon and HQ?

Dec 17, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #2,609 of 8,912
Maybe you are hearing effects of upsampling DSD caused by Roon and HQ?
It is possible that the noise is coming from the internal Roon streamer in the R26 but I have had HQP for many years and I can say that there is no noise from HQP background. It is as black a background as you will ever hear. I currenetly use HQP with Ares II. Totally black background on DSD upsampling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back