GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 3, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #2,251 of 8,869
OK, so I wasn't aware there was a system firmware. After reading relevant posts, I'm going to attempt to upgrade it.
(I've only done the render 1.3)

One questions tho, the whole reason I missed this, was because for the life of my I can't find the download files on gustard.cn.
I click all four buttons at the top, none of them bring me to the system firmware files, or the serial driver.

The "support" section on the main part of the website, also does not bring to any system firmware files.

Of course I'm going to try and install the firmware @Super Sonico posted, but out of curiosity, where are the they located at gustard.cn??

EDIT:

jT9pl41.jpg

I got it updated with the file Super Sonico provided. It wasn't hard, but I work in tech.
Surprised they don't have a more elegant solution if they expect people to upgrade this...

Still curious as where the firmware files are hosted at gustard.cn if anybody knows?

EDIT2:

The system firmware actually did fix some popping for me.
I run my R26 in two configurations. For music, LAN, but it's also connected to my entertainment center Windows PC via AES (from a HydraZ DDC).
When windows system sounds would play, there was popping, or stuttering, at the start and end of when those super short windows system sounds played.
This is fixed with the 2022-11-15 firmware.

I don’t have any popping noises at all using LAN and Roon. No issues at all switching better PCM and DSD in every sample rate.

Do you notice any other improvements?
Is it worth it to upgrade?

Dec 3, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #2,252 of 8,869
Couple ways to get there. Off Home page, Service Support>Driver/Firmware. Off the R26 page, click on USB Universal Driver tab. I download overseas version.

gustard_downloads.jpg

This page only listed USB driver (downloaded this, it's just a .exe file, to install USB drivers, no system firmware within)
Bridge Firmware is the renderer firmware this also does not contain the system firmware.

Dec 3, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #2,253 of 8,869
@SupCompracer

The base system firmware, and the renderer firmware, are completely separate files, and procedures to upgrade, using different software.

system firmware =/= renderer firmware

I literally just learned that the system firmware exists today.
Again, the only place I've found a download for it is @Super Sonico post. He also has a jpeg image hosted for instructions.

If the date on display has not changed, the system firmware has not been updated.
Yes, you can updated the renderer firmware to V1.3 (the latest) without updating the system firmware.

I learned something today! Thank you comzee!

Dec 3, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #2,254 of 8,869
I don’t have any popping noises at all using LAN and Roon. No issues at all switching better PCM and DSD in every sample rate.

Do you notice any other improvements?
Is it worth it to upgrade?

If you have no issues, I wouldn't worry about it. When I was using LAN with Roon, never had issues.
Even when I had the HydraZ DDC -> AES -> R26, youtube, movies, whatever, never had popping or issues. So I never sought a solution.
The only oddity I ever had was windows system sounds popping, and the newest system firmware fixed that for me.

As far as SQ improvements, not sure, I just installed the firmware 15 minutes ago! LOL.
I highly doubt it does anything to the SQ of the device tho.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #2,255 of 8,869
If you have no issues, I wouldn't worry about it. When I was using LAN with Roon, never had issues.
Even when I had the HydraZ DDC -> AES -> R26, youtube, movies, whatever, never had popping or issues. So I never sought a solution.
The only oddity I ever had was windows system sounds popping, and the newest system firmware fixed that for me.

As far as SQ improvements, not sure, I just installed the firmware 15 minutes ago! LOL.
I highly doubt it does anything to the SQ of the device tho.

Thanks
I’m 100% streaming Roon LAN connection only. I’ll wait to see what you notice in the next few days before I try and track down a windows PC lol

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #2,256 of 8,869
deleted

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #2,257 of 8,869
Dec 3, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #2,258 of 8,869
mistake? Was not quick enough to ask. :)
It was just a reply where I was mentioning that my R26 came with the newest fw. I saw that the thread had correctly identified the 2022-11-15 as the most current, so I deleted it. Cheers!

Dec 3, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #2,260 of 8,869
It was just a reply where I was mentioning that my R26 came with the newest fw. I saw that the thread had correctly identified the 2022-11-15 as the most current, so I deleted it. Cheers!
I've read your deleted comment :) but was slow to response. :) Where have you ordered yours? Dealer said that my is from last batch and fixed, but it has old FW installed.... Thank you.

Dec 3, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #2,261 of 8,869
I've read your deleted comment :) but was slow to response. :) Where have you ordered yours? Dealer said that my is from last batch and fixed, but it has old FW installed.... Thank you.
I ordered from Shenzhen Audio on the last day of the 11.11 sale [I think it was 11.13], but it didn't ship until the following week as the distributor was waiting for more units to arrive directly from Gustard.
I guess it was updated before it left the factory en route to the distributor's warehouse.
I was not thrilled about the shipping delay, but am grateful it had the latest fw.
So far, no issues whatsoever.
<<knocks on wood>>
lol

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #2,262 of 8,869
Fu...k, this filling when you came to forum to read about Gustard R26, but reading about cables, and all other stuff....
Yeah, welcome to the reality of a mostly owners thread… 1% pure reviews, the rest in system optimisation discussion and the odd debate.

A lot of really interesting and useful stuff for us owners, but I get it might be a slog for a prospective buyer which I presume you are. Keyword search ‘review’ should whittle it down a lot. There’s a number of comparative reviews to other DACs like the Terminator, Venus, Pontus, Aquarius and May so you could chuck those keywords in too. Good luck. It’s a great DAC.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #2,264 of 8,869
I can't get my menu display to show the system firmware revision. It always show the volume level/status. Is there something else I need to do for it to show the firmware system firmware version?

Dec 3, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #2,265 of 8,869
I can't get my menu display to show the system firmware revision. It always show the volume level/status. Is there something else I need to do for it to show the firmware system firmware version?
hold down the button in the middle of the scroll wheel on right hand side of unit when unit is powered off, and then press the power on button on left hand side and the firmware will display

Users who are viewing this thread

Back