GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 3, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #2,221 of 8,955
I've explained the rationale already. If you are embedded in a belief that optical Ethernet is magically always an improvement, it may take some effort to see the other side.

Just consider the basics. With ethernet protocol being so robust, data integrity and jitter are meaningless. What matters then is noise. Optical can isolate from the network. That should be a benefit. But if the network is clean and a cheap optical Ethernet convertor model is inherently noisy, the result could be worse.

Blindly believing that all optical is always better is naive. It depends on the actual optical to electrical design. It may be much better. It may be worse. It may be the same.

However, blind belief is a great way to model expectation bias and generate a placebo response. Strip that out and results might be rather disappointing.

With respect, what scientist would research the audio properties of Ethernet data feed? Scientists generally have more important questions to solve. Id be interested to see you listing "all these scientists" and their papers, because I'm highly sceptical of your unreferenced claims here.

Please be careful in your referencing. Be aware that commercial white papers marketing laser Ethernet transmission that you have listed have nothing to do with audio and nothing to do with science.

Misquoting science is one of the worst sins in audio.

To be honest I think if you have to buy more boxes spending a few dollars on an optical LAN "filter" with LPS is one of the better rational buys. Just dont expect it to always sound better.

I’ve posted quite a bit of articles explaining the science and gained benefits of fiber media convertors. Not a single article can be found that says the results are worse. These are not “inherently noisy” devices as you claim.
Literally google and you will find hundreds of people reporting positives. I can’t find any negative reports.

I would agree with you that maybe no difference can be heard depending on the system.But then my $100
“magic improvement” (it’s not mine alone) provides my R26 lightening strike and surge protection.
So yeah it’s better. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dec 3, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #2,222 of 8,955
Lets move forward to R26 topic...there's Computer Audio and Sound Science sections for these...

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #2,223 of 8,955
Does anyone even hear the influence of jitter or any noise in LAN connection? I listen to it without any filters, converters, etc. and I don't hear any distortion or noise at all. I listen to music an average of 25 hours a week.

Dec 3, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #2,224 of 8,955
Does anyone even hear the influence of jitter or any noise in LAN connection? I listen to it without any filters, converters, etc. and I don't hear any distortion or noise at all. I listen to music an average of 25 hours a week.
It's not a noise that you can hear with your headphones or your speakers. You can only hear the sound improvement in an A/B comparison, when you filter it with an optical isolation. The sound has greater resolution, more depth, wider sound stage, and so on…

The optical isolation does not reduce jitter. It only suppresses the electrical noise of the LAN.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #2,225 of 8,955
The sound has greater resolution, more depth, wider sound stage, and so on…
if you buy an audiophile LAN cable for 1000 euros / 100 cm, then there will also be improvements in sound during the AB test. it is an endless process of searching for the grail instead of just buying a device and listening to music

Dec 3, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #2,226 of 8,955
if you buy an audiophile LAN cable for 1000 euros / 100 cm, then there will also be improvements in sound during the AB test. it is an endless process of searching for the grail instead of just buying a device and listening to music
It's a part of the fun in this hobby. We buy better DACs, better DDCs, clocks…
The optical isolation brings a serious improvement, and is affordable.

Dec 3, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #2,227 of 8,955
I don’t think I’ve tried to listen for jitter i think it would effect pitch generally I’ve been generally focused on lowering the noise floor one of a few examples are the differences in my servers one a basic effort cheap build the other select parts with separate LPS comparisons the noise floor obviously dropped revealing a much more appealing listening experience secondly cleaning up noise on Lan connection another big reveal .

Dec 3, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #2,228 of 8,955
@Dandoudou @Palyodgree what device would you recommend to clean the noise in the network? some discussed in this thread, but I did not understand which quality is better for the price

Dec 3, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #2,229 of 8,955
Wire the most confiscatory priced items in audio history, that 1000 Euros would be better spent elsewhere .

Dec 3, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #2,230 of 8,955
@Dandoudou @Palyodgree what device would you recommend to clean the noise in the network? some discussed in this thread, but I did not understand which quality is better for the price
I would advise you to use two TP Link media converters, like this one, for instance:

https://www.amazon.fr/TP-Link-MC200CM-Convertisseur-Gigabit-Multimode/dp/B001GWSMVU/ref=sr_1_10?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1Q81XN9YY85E4&keywords=Ethernet+optique+tp+link&qid=1670067524&sprefix=ethernet+optique+tp+link,aps,69&sr=8-10

I read positive feedback from audiophiles about the media converters of TP Link. You will also need to buy two SFP modules, and fiber in the length that you need. All in all, it will cost you about €100.

I used similar media converters during two years, and then moved to EtherREGEN as the receiver, because it has a 10 mHz input. (EtherREGEN has a built-in media converter.)

EDIT
An important point: to optimize the result, you should power the second media converter with a LPS.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #2,231 of 8,955
Fullbass I want to make it clear I do not stream my music so far , our network in my area all has just been updated with much more reliable service .
Streaming internet radio I never cared much at all for the sound quality until a friend came over with a English Electric switch advertised at reducing noise riding on Lan .
Also replacing a generic brand of Lan feed with Supra cat 8 terminated with Telegarner ends I never expected much to come out of it however I was bowled over with the change in sonics . It wasn’t much money one can spend a lot more of course .

Edit now we have fibre optic available in my area a change is coming .

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #2,232 of 8,955
Also replacing a generic brand of Lan feed with Supra cat 8 terminated with Telegarner ends I never expected much to come out of it however I was bowled over with the change in sonics . It wasn’t much money one can spend a lot more of course .
The problem with the shielded Cat.7 and Cat.8 cables is that they may create ground loops, because their shielding connects the ground of the two devices to which they are attached. To avoid such risk, it's better to use Cat.5 or Cat.6 cables on the LAN, up to the first media converter.
The optical conversion removes the inducted electrical noise on the cables, with the remaining of the noise of the LAN.

Then, the fiber creates an island for the audio gear. It does not only receive a clean Ethernet signal, it is also isolated from the grounding of the other devices of the LAN.
If the audio devices of the setup are all connected to the same ground (same electrical strip, same wall outlet), there's no risk of ground loops in connecting the audio devices with Cat.7 or Cat.8. And it's better indeed to use Cat.7 or Cat.8 to connect the second media converter to the streamer, to avoid inducted electrical noise on the cable.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #2,233 of 8,955
The problem with the shielded Cat.7 and Cat.8 cables is that they may create ground loops, because their shielding connects the ground of the two devices to which they are attached. To avoid such risk, it's better to use Cat.5 or Cat.6 cables on the LAN, up to the first media converter.
The optical conversion removes the inducted electrical noise on the cables, with the remaining of the noise of the LAN.

Then, the fiber creates an island for the audio gear. It does not only receive a clean Ethernet signal, it is also isolated from the grounding of the other devices of the LAN.
If the audio devices of the setup are all connected to the same ground (same electrical strip, same wall outlet), there's no risk of ground loops in connecting the audio devices with Cat.7 or Cat.8. And it's better indeed to use Cat.7 or Cat.8 to connect the second media converter to the streamer, to avoid inducted electrical noise on the cable.
Well that particular combination worked spectacularly well I was not expecting such a jump forward , I have no problems with listening to internet radio in my office every single day ,it’s no longer annoying sounding. I know what problems ground loops can create however none here , I will be taking steps switching too fibre optic starting with a DarkNight switch , I need a switch to feed other areas of my home fibre optic for those long runs is the only way to go .

Dec 3, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #2,234 of 8,955
My R26 came with 2022-06-11 SW version, is it latest available?
20221203_074959.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back