GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Sep 8, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #181 of 8,833
Hello there,
I am very interested in this dac but only for HIFI use, so coaxial cabling and maybe a network.
I already have a Pontus II that I recently tried with my speakers against my M400 and found it to be much better.
I keep the Pontus for my headphone system.

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #182 of 8,833
I have the X26pro with a U18 and they sound really fantastic together. I'm having a hard time cost justifying a C18 given it's price. Will it improve the sound quality enough to justify paying more for it than I did for my DAC? That's the question. Sure it will improve the sq but is that difference worth the cost of the C18? Given how good my set up sounds to me now I'm leaning towards no as the answer.
Now I can't say this for 100%, because I don't own the C18.
But I'll bet dollars to donuts just getting a better DDC to start will outperform U18+C18.

If you're already thinking of dropping the dosh on C18, I'd highly recommend just getting the Audio-GD DI-20HE instead.

(I own both the U18 and DI-20HE)

While I do think the U18 is an amazing DDC, especially for the price, it's still soundly outperformed by the DI-20HE.
If somebody here says the C18 dramatically improves the U18, then maybe it would be as good...

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #183 of 8,833
Now I can't say this for 100%, because I don't own the C18.
But I'll bet dollars to donuts just getting a better DDC to start will outperform U18+C18.

If you're already thinking of dropping the dosh on C18, I'd highly recommend just getting the Audio-GD DI-20HE instead.

While I do think the U18 is an amazing DDC, especially for the price, it's still soundly outperformed by the DI-20HE.
If somebody here says the C18 dramatically improves the U18, then maybe it would be as good...
The DI-20HE should sound better as it's twice the price of the U18. But does it make the sound quality twice as good? Probably not. Not everyone can afford dumping a grand on a DDC. There's a point of diminishing returns. Sure you can always spend many times the price of a component like the U18 but the improvement in quality is smaller than say going from no DDC to a U18. IMHO the U18 is a great bang for the buck. Probably the best bang for the buck for a DDC on the market in my view.

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #184 of 8,833
Would I need a DDC if I use dac only through Coax or ABU?

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #185 of 8,833
The DI-20HE should sound better as it's twice the price of the U18. But does it make the sound quality twice as good? Probably not. Not everyone can afford dumping a grand on a DDC. There's a point of diminishing returns. Sure you can always spend many times the price of a component like the U18 but the improvement in quality is smaller than say going from no DDC to a U18. IMHO the U18 is a great bang for the buck. Probably the best bang for the buck for a DDC on the market in my view.
Um, ok... I wasn't trashing U18 my dude.

"Not everyone can afford dumping a grand on a DDC."
I know... I only mentioned it because the entire context of my reply, was about you wondering about buying a $1600 clock...

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #186 of 8,833

Have tried DI-20HE w/ X26 Pro or R26? If you read back some posts, users had playback problems (esp on DSD) w/ it. So it too appears on the DI-20HE thread.

I have the X26pro with a U18 and they sound really fantastic together. I'm having a hard time cost justifying a C18 given it's price. Will it improve the sound quality enough to justify paying more for it than I did for my DAC? That's the question. Sure it will improve the sq but is that difference worth the cost of the C18? Given how good my set up sounds to me now I'm leaning towards no as the answer.

See this post and user's successive posts on the next page. His comments of using both U18 and C18.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gus...ve-decoding-music-bridge.963630/post-17120557

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #187 of 8,833
We should have a system where compatible components can be listed for this R26 and for every thread for that matter. It would make it so much easier for those inquiring about these items. I was going to buy DI-20HE, but many say it's not compatible with Gustard R26, so I cancelled my order. Maybe it does work? Idk and I don't really want to test just to find out it doesn't work and have to ship it back at my expense. Whoever has one and can test should do so and inform us, so we can rule it out and eliminate debates/conv about if x ddc is better than y ddc. They're interesting for sure, but if the ddc doesn't work on the R26 (the topic of this thread), there's no point discussing further. Saves everyone time + money, so we can enjoy our music and get through these burn-in times faster :) Happy listening!

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #189 of 8,833
I've extensively used DI-20HE with the X26, never had a single issue, even using i2s over hdmi.

But, I've never used DSD on it.
that was my concern with the findings. That it would work outside the case of DSD, which I don't use. That being said, if I ever did want to, still perhaps DI-20HE isn't the best option for X26/R26 for those that want a ddc that can handle all formats with compatibility to the dac.

Sep 8, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #191 of 8,833
See my link above to ray12345's post and his other subsequent findings.

Sep 8, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #192 of 8,833
Too much questions about ddc, clock, etc...but does the R26 sound well without them or not? 🤣
Sounds too good for its price, heck too good for even twice its price without DDC. With DDC even better, but anyone can go with USB if not looking to squeeze every drop of SQ from it, still very good...

Sep 8, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #193 of 8,833
That's also what got my attention.

Been planning to upgrade my entry-level Metrum and Soekris DACs to something with i2s input but started researching eternal clocks too. No idea how much a 10MHz clock would improve things but definitely want the option to try it.

AFAIK, only other R2R DACs below $5K with a clock input are the Denafrips Terminator and a couple of Audio-gd models.

Don't get rid of your Metrum, that's nuts. Unless you are replacing it with another Metrum of course. Which one do you have?

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #194 of 8,833
Sounds too good for its price, heck too good for even twice its price without DDC. With DDC even better, but anyone can go with USB if not looking to squeeze every drop of SQ from it, still very good...
I'm be comparing almost every scenario with R26 when I get it.
Internal USB, a few DDC, Ethernet + Roon, upnp and airplay

I'm actually most excited about the ethernet + roon, it has the potential to be better than most DDC.

Not so excited about upnp, I know it's super easy and nice feature to have, but based on my previous experience with airplay, streaming audio over the air is, not good.
But idk, maybe upnp is vastly superior to airplay.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #195 of 8,833
I'm be comparing almost every scenario with R26 when I get it.
Internal USB, a few DDC, Ethernet + Roon, upnp and airplay

I'm actually most excited about the internet ethernet + roon, it has the potential to be better than most DDC.

Not so excited about upnp, I know it's super easy and nice feature to have, but based on my previous experience with airplay, streaming audio over the air is, not good.
But idk, maybe upnp is vastly superior to airplay.
I'm using it only in the old fashion way, at least for now, no roon, upnp etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back