GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Sep 7, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #166 of 8,851
Seems to be ready and available the usb firmware update for mqa full decoding on Gustard site. But update instructions are not clear. In that case we need to connect the USB type B or type C? The device on or off (standby mode)?
I assume still USB-C like on firmware, wouldn't be wrong to check both, it is a USB driver installer after all. Machine state on or standby i don't think it matters for usb driver installation. Using i2s, haven't tried the new driver yet, will do at some point.

Sep 7, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #167 of 8,851
Was able to cancel my Di-20he order prior to shipping. Now to decide between SU-6 or U18 DDC paired with C16 or LHY-OCK-1 clock. Oddly, aoshida said they couldn’t guarantee the U18 would work with the R26 despite it being a Gustard ddc. I’d have assumed they’d play well being gustard products.

Strange...

Yes. It works... with PCM. I have yet to get my Oor back to see if protection shutoff is still happening when going PCM-DSD with HQP. Should get it back Friday.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #168 of 8,851
Seems to be ready and available the usb firmware update for mqa full decoding on Gustard site. But update instructions are not clear. In that case we need to connect the USB type B or type C? The device on or off (standby mode)?
I did the firmware update upon receiving the R26 yesterday. You unplug the USB-B and plug in type C. Put in standby mode. execute the update file. exit the software. unplug USB-C & plug in USB-B. not sure how to check what firmware I'm on though to confirm it worked, but that's the process I took when doing firmware update.

Sep 7, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #169 of 8,851
I did the firmware update upon receiving the R26 yesterday. You unplug the USB-B and plug in type C. Put in standby mode. execute the update file. exit the software. unplug USB-C & plug in USB-B. not sure how to check what firmware I'm on though to confirm it worked, but that's the process I took when doing firmware update.
The new USB driver update should work about the same as for the firmware update. Usually are instructions embedded into the executable

Sep 7, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #170 of 8,851
This depends very much on your personal taste and type of music you listen to. R2R is a very different sound to your D2, personally I would say R26 is superior but then I have listened to P1 and I don't like the sound of P1 either, so personally I don't like the Lumin sound.

My friend has a Bluesound Node and he found that Lumin U1 mini (mod to external LPS) is superior to Bluesound in every way. Yet, the Lumin U1 mini + R26 sounds worse than UPnP streaming to R26 direct using BubbleUPnP. So the only certain advice I can give is skip the Bluesound if you go R26, buy a good network cable though.
Hi ray12345
Great info being posted about the Gustard R26. Mine arrived yesterday and have been leaving on 24/7 to start burn in. I have tried USB direct with OTG adaptor from a Samsung S7 FE tablet using Amazon Music app just to get started and the result from cold on first switch on is very favourable. It is a big improvement on my old Chord Mojo much better soundstage and detail.

My question is how did you setup the Lan connection, I have Bubbleupnp on my tablet and it sees my DLNA server on the network to play NAS files but doesn’t see the Gustard as a renderer. Does the new firmware update need to be applied to get the Lan functionality working perhaps? I have made sure the Gustard source is set to LAN. Any help deeply appreciated.

I eventually want to get I2S working from Rpi3+Allo Isolator+Allo Kali as my serious streamer source but getting Amazon Music working on that setup may be an issue.

Sep 7, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #171 of 8,851
Wouldn't pairing the R26 with the U18 be enough? Why do I need the C18 also? You're more than doubling the cost of the R26 at that point...
https://www.beatechnik.com/lhy-audio-ock-1
This external clock has specs comparable to the C16/C18 at a lower price. Could stay under the price of the R26 going U18 paired with it over the C18. On Aliexpress can be found as low as 355$ USD. Unfortunately, nobody has commented on how it performs, but nice to have options at a great price point, imo.

Sep 7, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #172 of 8,851
050B941C-3C49-4932-8710-4626C1CD604D.jpeg
My r26 also arrived today. Waiting on DI-20HE to ship. Need to download the manual. Briefly messed with it over my lunch break. Hope to spend more time with it later this evening.
I have Soloist GT too and R26 on order. I run Roon from Sonictransporter and Ultrarendu so hopefully it will all sound good.

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #173 of 8,851
I have Soloist GT too and R26 on order. I run Roon from Sonictransporter and Ultrarendu so hopefully it will all sound good.
This combo has brought out the bass / low end on my HD800S i didn't think was possible. I've never experienced this type of sound coming from this headphone. Not sure which is contributing more to that R26 or GT, but I'm very much enjoying a new perspective out of the HD800S. I also just received Denafrips BIC500 to include in my audio chain. Back to burning in the gear :)

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #174 of 8,851
This combo has brought out the bass / low end on my HD800S i didn't think was possible. I've never experienced this type of sound coming from this headphone. Not sure which is contributing more to that R26 or GT, but I'm very much enjoying a new perspective out of the HD800S. I also just received Denafrips BIC500 to include in my audio chain. Back to burning in the gear :)
I replaced a Burson Soloist MK11 with the GT and got bass definition and a much larger soundstage with the GT into the Utopia’s.

Sep 7, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #175 of 8,851
Looks like it'll be awhile for me,
Hello dear customers, in order to ensure the quality of the product, R26 takes 10-20 days to produce, due to the outbreak of the new crown epidemic, the factory production is delayed, it is estimated that it will take 15-25 days to produce, thank you for your patience and support

:frowning2:

Sep 8, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #176 of 8,851
Looks like it'll be awhile for me,

:frowning2:
Damn, sorry to hear that.....From what I understand from that message, it will be a 5 days delay in production though, still decent

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #177 of 8,851
Bit of a random question, but i don't suppose anyone with an R26 has measured - or if not wouldn't mind doing so - its latency /audio delay? In particular I'm interested in NOS mode fed PCM via I2S, but would be interested in feedback on other modes too.

I ask as am considering the R26 as part of a setup with a crossover in the digital domain, where I'd be passing the R26 a high-passed signal so would need to compensate by delaying the low-passed signal via a more modest Delta Sigma DAC to the subs. If the R26's delay is in the hundreds of milliseconds it'd likely be well beyond the maximum delay I'd be able to set.

Any feedback appreciated.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #179 of 8,851
Bit of a random question, but i don't suppose anyone with an R26 has measured - or if not wouldn't mind doing so - its latency /audio delay? In particular I'm interested in NOS mode fed PCM via I2S, but would be interested in feedback on other modes too.

I ask as am considering the R26 as part of a setup with a crossover in the digital domain, where I'd be passing the R26 a high-passed signal so would need to compensate by delaying the low-passed signal via a more modest Delta Sigma DAC to the subs. If the R26's delay is in the hundreds of milliseconds it'd likely be well beyond the maximum delay I'd be able to set.

Any feedback appreciated.
Usually the latency on a r2r is very high not comparable to a delta sigma. I don't know on R26. I had an Ares II and a Matrix mini-I 3 Pro but I've never been able to get them to play together. The latency of the ares was too high

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #180 of 8,851
Wouldn't pairing the R26 with the U18 be enough? Why do I need the C18 also? You're more than doubling the cost of the R26 at that point...
I have the X26pro with a U18 and they sound really fantastic together. I'm having a hard time cost justifying a C18 given it's price. Will it improve the sound quality enough to justify paying more for it than I did for my DAC? That's the question. Sure it will improve the sq but is that difference worth the cost of the C18? Given how good my set up sounds to me now I'm leaning towards no as the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back