GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Sep 6, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #136 of 8,957
Yes, thanks. That is almost the path I took, to purchase the X26 Pro to go along with my U18. Instead I bought the C18 which is on its way knowing I could return it if the difference isn't enough. If I'm happy with the C18 I'll keep it and in a couple of months I might get the X26 Pro and pair it with the C18/U18. I'm kind of thinking before too long there may be an upgrade version of the X26 pro. X30 a possibility I wonder?
Maybe but I don't think so. However I tried also X26 pro with U18 and not a great change too imho

Sep 6, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #138 of 8,957
050B941C-3C49-4932-8710-4626C1CD604D.jpeg
My r26 also arrived today. Waiting on DI-20HE to ship. Need to download the manual. Briefly messed with it over my lunch break. Hope to spend more time with it later this evening.
What exactly is a DI-20HE ? What does it do and what advantages would something like that bring

Sep 6, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #139 of 8,957
What exactly is a DI-20HE ? What does it do and what advantages would something like that bring
it's a DDC similar to the Gustard U12/16/18 or denafrips iris/hermes/gaia. I've never had a ddc in my audio chain before, so I can't speak on if it truly brings improvements. My likely inefficient and brief understanding of what a ddc does is it basically assists in removing noise & timing errors by bypassing the source (a PC) prior to sending the signal to your DAC for conversion to an analog signal. There are far more knowledgeable ppl that can give a better explanation or correct my understanding here or in the DI-20 thread.

Sep 6, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #140 of 8,957
it's a DDC similar to the Gustard U12/16/18 or denafrips iris/hermes/gaia. I've never had a ddc in my audio chain before, so I can't speak on if it truly brings improvements. My likely inefficient and brief understanding of what a ddc does is it basically assists in removing noise & timing errors by bypassing the source (a PC) prior to sending the signal to your DAC for conversion to an analog signal. There are far more knowledgeable ppl that can give a better explanation or correct my understanding here or in the DI-20 thread.
I'm far from being the expert myself but I think the key is using the i2s connection between the DDC and dac

Sep 6, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #141 of 8,957
I wouldn't be using as pc if I pulled the trigger on the R26. I would be using my dx300 dap so I'm assuming there would be no need for one in that case.

Sep 6, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #142 of 8,957
I'm far from being the expert myself but I think the key is using the i2s connection between the DDC and dac
that's my plan, in addition to adding an external clock. Either the LHY-OCK1 or the C16. Waiting to hear impressions on that LHY. I like the price :)

Sep 6, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #143 of 8,957
I didn't believe it until I heard it myself but the sound changes during the first week of use or roughly 200-300 hours. At least to me.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #144 of 8,957
I wouldn't be using as pc if I pulled the trigger on the R26. I would be using my dx300 dap so I'm assuming there would be no need for one in that case.
If you're running USB bit perfect from your dap into your dac, I don't see how you could do much better for SQ. I run USB from my Android (Wi-Fi streaming Tidal and Amazon Ultra in airplane mode, and Wi-Fi turned off if I'm listening to downloaded tracks) into my U18/A22 and I think it sounds really good. I like the fact that my source is battery powered rather than running off AC current. I still can't find out if other than convenience I really can gain much (if anything) from using a different source. All please feel free to chime in

Sep 6, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #145 of 8,957
If you're running USB bit perfect from your dap into your dac, I don't see how you could do much better for SQ. I run USB from my Android (Wi-Fi streaming Tidal and Amazon Ultra in airplane mode, and Wi-Fi turned off if I'm listening to downloaded tracks) into my U18/A22 and I think it sounds really good. I like the fact that my source is battery powered rather than running off AC current. I still can't find out if other than convenience I really can gain much (if anything) from using a different source. All please feel free to chime in
Then it may be worth me picking up a U18 or A22. I wasn't sure if it would be worth it with usb. All I hear ppl talking about is using i2s with it. I'm all about maximizing if it's worth it.

Sep 6, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #146 of 8,957
My r26 also arrived today. Waiting on DI-20HE to ship. Need to download the manual. Briefly messed with it over my lunch break. Hope to spend more time with it later this evening.
If you read a few pages back (page 7?), there was a discussion that DI-20HE doesn't work with R26. Suggesting to go w/ own Gustard's DDC-U18 and Clock C18 for compatibility.

Sep 6, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #147 of 8,957
Then it may be worth me picking up a U18 or A22. I wasn't sure if it would be worth it with usb. All I hear ppl talking about is using i2s with it. I'm all about maximizing if it's worth it.
The A22 is no longer a current item. If you wanted one of those you would have to look on the used market. That's where I got mine. It seems the X26 Pro is the way to go if you're buying new, although you may find one used. If I were buying new right now I would go with the X26 Pro or wait a little bit and choose that or the R26 after a little more user feedback comes in

Sep 6, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #148 of 8,957
If you read a few pages back (page 7?), there was a discussion that DI-20HE doesn't work with R26. Suggesting to go w/ own Gustard's DDC-U18 and Clock C18 for compatibility.
i was under the impression that was only for DSD playback via I2S. Did i misinterpret that instead of it meaning I2S just flat out doesn't work whether DSD or PCM? Oof, I should contact Kingwa asap. I already paid, but item hasn't shipped. Bummer because I really wanted the DI-20HE

Sep 6, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #149 of 8,957
Frankly, IDK really. Haven't really dived into it. Just that I remembered it has issues on playback. And just gave you a heads-up. But please do ask more.

Sep 6, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #150 of 8,957
Frankly, IDK really. Haven't really dived into it. Just that I remembered it has issues on playback. And just gave you a heads-up. But please do ask more.
I just sent an email to kingwa to confirm. I don't want to be tinkering with settings at this price point. Perhaps this is a blessing as the U18 is half the price of the DI-20HE. Am I correct in that the SU-6 wouldn't be optimal for the R26 being a 75ohm output to a 50ohm input on the R26?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back