GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Aug 29, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #61 of 8,851
What do you mean by dedicated oscillators?
Most DACs will have separate clocks for multiples of 44.1 kHz and multiples of 48 kHz (say a clock running at 384 kHz + a counter to take every 8th tick for 48 kHz content). A clock synthesizer is more generic/flexible (but needed in conjunction with a single, generic 10 Mhz external clock) and therefore possibly less accurate.

Aug 29, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #62 of 8,851
Most DACs will have separate clocks for multiples of 44.1 kHz and multiples of 48 kHz (say a clock running at 384 kHz + a counter to take every 8th tick for 48 kHz content). A clock synthesizer is more generic/flexible (but needed in conjunction with a single, generic 10 Mhz external clock) and therefore possibly less accurate.
Several have hypothesized that the C18 and U18 will make this great dac significantly greater. I look forward to people who get a chance to listen to it that way confirming this if it is indeed true

Aug 29, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #63 of 8,851
The double amount of ladders only means that the DAC section of the Pontus is balanced, whereas the Gustard R26 DAC section is single-ended and only the output-stage is balanced. Doesn't necessarily result in worse sonics. What do you mean by dedicated oscillators?
That’s true although in a balanced setup it also means greater dynamic range.

With dedicated oscillators I mean fixed clocks. They should have lower jitter than the Gustard’s clock synthesizer.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #64 of 8,851
This is as good as the soundnews review says? And you can control the volume with the remote? In 100 steps?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #65 of 8,851
Aug 29, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #66 of 8,851
Aug 29, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #67 of 8,851
Only in OS mode. NOS mode is FIXED.
In that case I would need to run it in OS mode because I would use the preamp function. At least if the quality of the built-in preamp matches my Gustard A22 dac. At first I ran the A22 into my Violectric V281 with balanced cables, using it's preamp function. The V281 is considered by most to be great when used as a preamp. However running balanced from the A22 directly to my power amp sounded noticeably better. In this particular case is running in OS mode considered a disadvantage? I should have mentioned I'm talking about using this equipment in a stereo system, more so than a headphone setup

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #68 of 8,851
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've not owned a DAC with NOS mode. If in NOS mode, the audio becomes fixed and not controllable via the remote. I assume you're able to control the volume in your OS settings or does the volume just stay at a constant maxed out? Thanks!

Aug 29, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #69 of 8,851
The built-in streaming capability is immediately head-turning for me. I like the Bluesound Node and all, but I think I'm ready to try Roon out or some other method to reduce the amount of hardware clutter in the living room, and maybe even get a bump up in sound quality. I don't know if I need new computer hardware for Roon or I can just use my current PC and get a Roon account, but I liked using the app at CanJam haha.

If the DAC section is as good as Sandu says it is, then this is worth upgrading from the R1 and a separate streamer. It's funny how once you get a possible endgame status with a piece of kit, it takes a LOT to get me considering an upgrade, I don't even need balanced outs for an integrated amplifier, but if the R26 can have XLR cables plugged in the same time as RCA without taking a hit in sound quality, then I can try a balanced amp later on down the road, or maybe a headphone amp. This is something all AGD DACs do, but not a lot of R-2R DACs in the price range do. Even if it doesn't, the built-in streaming still makes this a worthy upgrade. It's so much fun to get excited by new gear again! Fingers crossed it does gapless playback!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #70 of 8,851
The double amount of ladders only means that the DAC section of the Pontus is balanced, whereas the Gustard R26 DAC section is single-ended and only the output-stage is balanced. Doesn't necessarily result in worse sonics. What do you mean by dedicated oscillators?
Seems like it has double stereo ladder so it's still balanced but there's only two per channel vs Pontus which has four per channel. Dedicated oscillators seem to mean dual 45.154/49.152 oscillators compared to Gustard's 10MHz clock + clock synthesizer.
IMO, more components != better performance.

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #72 of 8,851
does this allow hdmi audio from a tv?
No, it's just an IIS/I2S/I²S input, exploiting that there is a common connector with lots of pins (HDMI). RJ45 is also used for that in some cases without implying Ethernet capability (though in the R26, Ethernet is exactly what the RJ45 port is for).

Aug 30, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #73 of 8,851
how do I stream tidal? direct from tidal app?
IDK how it's streaming functions (esp. Tidal) are implemented, but it has a UPnP renderer. Once enabled, you could use BubbleUPnP on your tablet/smartphone to access your Tidal, Qobuz, Cloud, or NAS music and send it thru R26.

Aug 30, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #74 of 8,851
Several have hypothesized that the C18 and U18 will make this great dac significantly greater. I look forward to people who get a chance to listen to it that way confirming this if it is indeed true
I am one of the lucky ones that has the chance to try R26 with U18 and C18, I guess I will chip in.

I am an owner of X26 Pro, I only borrowed R26 for testing. With U18 and C18, the R26 of course gets better with better soundstage and details, but the improvement is not as big as U18 and C18 on X26 Pro. Overall, R26 is a very likable DAC with a nice R2R sound. Its treble is more smooth than X26 Pro, but its bass is not as clear and as good as X26 Pro.

With U18 and C18 connected to X26 Pro, and PC upsampling to 705/768 with NOS mode, the X26 Pro displays stunning details near levels of high end DAC, while it sounds also quite analog. I can literally hear the singer breathing in front of me. R26 with U18 and C18 still cannot provide the same level of details.

I think the selling point of R26 is the UPnP though. With a good network cable, I can play via UPnP just through my Samsung phone a better sound than when I use Lumin streamer connected to R26. That is a big savings! I think users should just stay with R26 without U18 and C18 and enjoy the UPnP. That is a bargain for this sound quality, considering R26 already does a streamer plus dac. Beware though, different phones sound different. I found it sounds best with my Samsung Note 20 using BubbleUPnP, iPhone with MConnect does not sound as good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back