GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
May 25, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #6,166 of 8,833
Were you using the two outputs together then, ie both BNC's connected to kit, or was one BNC (output 2) not connected to anything? We know that deselecting an unused BNC output improves the sound. Trying to make things as clear as possible for everyone.
I tried both two outputs, and single output.
But… While continuing testing, I realize at the present that even with a single output, the choice of the cable is very important.

With the Gustrad C-2, the LB improves slightly the sound of the DI-20HE.
With the LMR400 (+ the copper/Faraday tweak), it doesn't. With this cable, the sound with the internal clock of the DI is superior.

So, it's possible that the LB performs equally well in the two outputs mode.
The OCK-1 improves the sound of the DI-20HE with both cables.

EDIT
I reconfigured the LB to a single output mode, because that's what more experienced users on this thread advised me to try.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #6,167 of 8,833
Well, we're off to a good start 👍🏻
20230525_224339.jpg

May 25, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #6,168 of 8,833
I tried both two outputs, and single output.
But… While continuing testing, I realize at the present that even with a single output, the choice of the cable is very important.

With the Gustrad C-2, the LB improves slightly the sound of the DI-20HE.
With the LMR400 (+ the copper/Faraday tweak), it doesn't. With this cable, the sound with the internal clock of the DI is superior.

So, it's possible that the LB performs equally well in the two outputs mode.
The OCK-1 improves the sound of the DI-20HE with both cables.

EDIT
I reconfigured the LB to a single output mode, because that's what more experienced users on this thread advised me to try.
So a thought... From recollection the very positive experiences shared on this thread have been using the LB directly clocking the R26, not clocking DDCs. A suggestion of a serendipitous synergy between the two. Appreciate that you prefer the sound in your system via the very good DI-20HE, but if you have not already tried it may I suggest that could also try the LB directly with the R26 alone, say using the R26 HQP NAA, and compare it to the OCK-1 doing similar.

Thanks again for your impressions.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #6,169 of 8,833
may I suggest that could also try the LB directly with the R26 alone, say using the R26 HQP NAA, and compare it to the OCK-1 doing similar.
After reconfiguring the LB to single mode, all my trials were with a single 10 mHz output, and the C2 cable.
They were either:

• LB > R26 vs OCK-1 > R26
• LB > DI-20HE vs OCK-1> DI-20HE

May 25, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #6,170 of 8,833
When i used on the Di20He I could not hear any improvement at all it didn't make it worse either
If it is not working on the R26 then either software or cable issue for me I could hear the difference immediately
I have no experience with using 2 BNC outputs being used at the same time

May 25, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #6,172 of 8,833
f it is not working on the R26 then either software or cable issue for me I could hear the difference immediately
I reported in my previous posts that it works with the R26, but not as well as the OCK-1.

May 25, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #6,173 of 8,833
It works better with the DI-20HE and a 0.5m BNC cable of 50 ohms from Thomann that I found in the closet.
I think that I'll keep the GPS. I'm going to travel abroad on Saturday for a couple of weeks. I'll continue testing it when I'll be back.
Obviously, it does not like the LMR400.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #6,176 of 8,833
@Jake2 ,
When you'll test the LB clock, try it with various cables. This point seems very important.
The LB does not like the LMR400 at all. It performs the best with a Pro Snake from Thomann that costs less than €10. It prefers it over the Gustard C-2, and even improves nicely the sound of the DI-20HE with it. Go figure…

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #6,177 of 8,833
I think the fuse has a direction arrow on it, not sure though, as I haven't changed one out myself. The FMC before the fiber optic cable (the dirty side) can be a regular wall wart. Use a LPS on the FMC on the other side of the fiber optic cable (the clean side) were the short ethernet cable goes into the R26 (or music server). If you have an ifi power supply, you could always use it on the dirty side, can't hurt!
Thank you!
I assume the arrow on the fuse is supposed to pint upwards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back