GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
May 26, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #6,199 of 8,818
Yes it is
It has taken me years to get to the point I feel I have it dialed in right
Great John,
Hopefully Clive,Jake,Rodders and Dan can add there go to track and we will all have 4 or 5 tracks to compare to level things.
Of course,like everything things can be system dependent, but at least it one constant

May 26, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #6,201 of 8,818
May 26, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #6,202 of 8,818
Agree, but it should help with giving a sense of the timing issues
My go to for timing is Mombassa by Hans Zimmer but the one performed by the 2 Cellos, can be a bit brutal thought!

May 26, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #6,204 of 8,818
A good clock, I think now having experienced the effect, creates or rather allows the music to flow better. It's hard to pinpoint but you really notice it if it's missing once you have heard the effect.

May 26, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #6,206 of 8,818
Tracks I listen to…

For acoustic bass (double bass) - Oscar Peterson - You Look Good To Me from We Get Requests.

I have a playlist with very varied tracks eg from The Who - Behind Blue Eyes to a couple of versions of Adagio for Strings, also jazz tracks from Diana Krall. Some country/bluegrass too. Before reaching any conclusions I listen to at least half a dozen varied tracks to make sure that initial perceived changes don’t only happen on one specific track or have side effects.

May 26, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #6,207 of 8,818
Tracks I listen to… For acoustic bass (double bass) - Oscar Peterson - You Look Good To Me from We Get Requests. I have a playlist with very varied tracks eg from The Who - Behind Blue Eyes to a couple of versions of Adagio for Strings, also jazz tracks from Diana Krall. Some country/bluegrass too. Before reaching any conclusions I listen to at least half a dozen varied tracks to make sure that initial perceived changes don’t only happen on one specific track or have side effects.
Diana Krall 'Temptation' and 'Sway' are two I use a great deal too, double bass and strings. Jack Savoretti 'Dreamers' is great for depth. But for feeling if your system is getting the dynamics right JJ.Cale #8, this album can sound so flat on most systems but great when it's done right.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #6,208 of 8,818
@Jake2 ,
When you'll test the LB clock, try it with various cables. This point seems very important.
The LB does not like the LMR400 at all. It performs the best with a Pro Snake from Thomann that costs less than €10. It prefers it over the Gustard C-2, and even improves nicely the sound of the DI-20HE with it. Go figure…
That's an RG-58 Pro Snake cable from Thomann, not surprised it works well, Thomann are very big in the music industry must sell thousands of meters of the stuff to the professional music industry. Interesting it's RG-58 though...... and 0.5m BNC terminated cable is £2.21!!

May 26, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #6,209 of 8,818
What a brilliant read! Thanks for the link, helps explain the buzz around the Leo Bodnar clock and it's standing...... and what's truly important for a good sound.
It's nice to have an expert with familiarity using and measuring a wide range of clocks elaborate on why low offset phase noise isn't, in their view, the be all and end all, of clock performance.

As an aside, I've pressed pause on my shielding tweaks, will proceed, but with caution and once I have some electrical tape to ensure insulation at high risk junctures. Instead, while I wait to get the LB up and running (none of my many 5-12 VC DC adaptor's plugs fit it dammit) I've done I tweak I've been meaning to do for a while - small dots of fo.Q TA-102 anti-vibration tape on the caps. Damn.

Anyone else tried this with the R26?

May 26, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #6,210 of 8,818
It's nice to have an expert with familiarity using and measuring a wide range of clocks elaborate on why low offset phase noise isn't, in their view, the be all and end all, of clock performance.

As an aside, I've pressed pause on my shielding tweaks, will proceed, but with caution and once I have some electrical tape to ensure insulation at high risk junctures. Instead, while I wait to get the LB up and running (none of my many 5-12 VC DC adaptor's plugs fit it dammit) I've done I tweak I've been meaning to do for a while - small dots of fo.Q TA-102 anti-vibration tape on the caps. Damn.

Anyone else tried this with the R26?
It reminds me of my 'let's go damping' days in the 90's, everything was damped internally, caps, inside of covers, anything that rattled, mostly using sound deadening panels (as were used on car panels) Laser Disc players really benefitted. I'd just say less is more, where you've got these 'polymer hybrid' squares on the caps is right. I'd have punched circles but that's more wasteful and at €75 a pop you have to use it carefully. Try blu-tac that can have decent effect too depending on how sensitive the component in question is to micro vibrations.

Have you a battery bank you could use on the LB for now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back