GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Feb 22, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #4,696 of 8,857
I don't think the measurements are the issue. Afaik Gustard sent L7 Audiolab a unit themselves.
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/gustard-r26/
I think it was more likely just due to supply issues around the time I asked
Well, I am certainly looking forward to your take on this DAC.
I bought the SMSL VMV D1SE after watching your review, which was excellent and thorough. [It is the best DS DAC I have heard, but admittedly haven't had too much experience with >$1K DACs until the R26.]
Anyways, thanks for dropping in my guy!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #4,697 of 8,857
Thanks for your constructive input
☝️☝️☝️ Agreed.
We need more positivity and constructive criticism and less negativity and vitriol.
Anyways, I am digging my latest acquisition, an Eddie Current ZDT Jr. It is an Output Transformer-Coupled [OTC] tube amp.
It sounds great; warm, organic & silky smooth and pairs beautifully with the R26.

1677114396210.png

EDITED FOR CLARITY.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #4,698 of 8,857
Oh, for sure. I was just agreeing. I like coming here but sometimes it gets waaaaaay too petty. Let's just chill out and enjoy the music, y'all.
:)
☝️☝️☝️

Feb 22, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #4,699 of 8,857
As someone who is thrilled with my Gustard components (not an R26 and for that matter I don't have any R2R dacs), I don't exactly have a dog in this specific fight. That said, I must say I am a bit concerned that whenever they release a new product it always goes to the same one or two websites for review. And the reviews always sing its praises. I'd like to see more reviewers get samples to report on

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #4,700 of 8,857
As someone who is thrilled with my Gustard components (not an R26 and for that matter I don't have any R2R dacs), I don't exactly have a dog in this specific fight. That said, I must say I am a bit concerned that whenever they release a new product it always goes to the same one or two websites for review. And the reviews always sing its praises. I'd like to see more reviewers get samples to report on
This is definitely fair. I'd Love to see as many comparisons by competent reviewers as possible!

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #4,704 of 8,857
Therefore not much pages left ... :upside_down:

Feb 23, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #4,706 of 8,857
I just purchased a mesh wifi system. So I will try the Lan input on this dac within the next week. I know it's not perfectly ideal if I'm connected it to mesh (possibly) but I will be trying the lan ports out on MacBook and Gustard R26 and see if I notice any audible differences. I already love the USB input, and I'm very skeptical this will matter more than solid USB connection where I can't hear any distortions or issues and high quality player like Roon. But we will see what happens, I wanted to upgrade home system to Mesh anyways. I'll try to report back with findings at some point. Exciting times!

Feb 23, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #4,707 of 8,857
I just purchased a mesh wifi system. So I will try the Lan input on this dac within the next week. I know it's not perfectly ideal if I'm connected it to mesh (possibly) but I will be trying the lan ports out on MacBook and Gustard R26 and see if I notice any audible differences. I already love the USB input, and I'm very skeptical this will matter more than solid USB connection where I can't hear any distortions or issues and high quality player like Roon. But we will see what happens, I wanted to upgrade home system to Mesh anyways. I'll try to report back with findings at some point. Exciting times!
The mesh is great. If you can turn off its transmit function so that it only receives Wifi and doesn’t connect to any other devices. Then use a switch to connect your Mac and R26. Add fiber media convertors and usb will be history lol

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #4,708 of 8,857
Usb seems to be getting a really bad shake in this thread. I agree that it should be the least used protocol when the usb from the streamer is a run o the mill variety. I would like to recommend the jcat xe usb card coupled with a nano lpsu in the server/streamer. Believe me, it destroys any lan connection. I have removed the u18 and its i2s connection from the set up, the usb is that good! The u18 was, in comparison, sucking the life out of the music.
Of course the usb cable is important. I gave up on branded cables and built my own with massive 2mm solid silver wiring. You need screw terminals to build such a massive cable.
Yes, this seems really off the beaten path but for those seeking Valhalla it's worth it.

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #4,709 of 8,857
These nice Cat8 cables from Amazon…

https://a.co/d/1Q1VxZL
Maybe someone mentioned this and I missed it but you shouldn't use Cat 7 or 8. They have shared ground with the router (the metal exterior of the plug) and shared ground means shared noise. Cat 6 does not have this, the plug is all plastic. Cat 6 is best for audio.

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #4,710 of 8,857
Usb seems to be getting a really bad shake in this thread. I agree that it should be the least used protocol when the usb from the streamer is a run o the mill variety. I would like to recommend the jcat xe usb card coupled with a nano lpsu in the server/streamer. Believe me, it destroys any lan connection. I have removed the u18 and its i2s connection from the set up, the usb is that good! The u18 was, in comparison, sucking the life out of the music.
Of course the usb cable is important. I gave up on branded cables and built my own with massive 2mm solid silver wiring. You need screw terminals to build such a massive cable.
Yes, this seems really off the beaten path but for those seeking Valhalla it's worth it.
I would imagine that a $1200 usb card and lpsu with a $500 usb cable might give the R26 LAN a challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back