GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Nov 30, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #2,071 of 8,912
Interesting as I've read that if you're looking for a new DAC, get the R26. But if you have the X26Pro there's no real compelling need for an R26.

Curious for more opinions on the differences from those who've had the X26Pro and also got the R26.
I've sold my X26Pro and waiting for R26 to arrive... it is by DHL for a week now unf.! :frowning2: Cant wait to hear R26... :frowning2:(

Nov 30, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #2,072 of 8,912
When I'll receive the R26 that I ordered, I have the intention to use it a preamp + power amps.
Will I need to set something for its output level?
There is something to be said for using a quality built volume control in a preamplifier over Gustards .

Nov 30, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #2,073 of 8,912
Nov 30, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #2,074 of 8,912
for me, the musician does not sound better than the gustard at any volume level. and a gustard is more weightier and bassy for me than pegasus which has a very primitive bass in comparison
I just had the Musician Aquarius with three other dacs , the Aquarius lasted two tracks against the R26 then it was put back in its box and sent home .

Nov 30, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #2,075 of 8,912
is that a riddle?
I believe that Palyodgree means a good preamplifier can make the world of difference in a music reproduction system. This has always been the way a good music system works, well in my 45 years of experience of listening to recorded music and building systems. I believe that one should not ever underestimate what a good preamplifier can do. The R26 on board preamplifier sounds good out of the box, and it needs considerable pedigree preampfification to make the R26 work better.

If you are after a particular flavour of sound then a preamplifier can deliver the goods, tubes or solid state.

Of course if I have read his post wrong then..... well I still believe that pre is key. In any source of a music system. It is always remarkable what a well engineered preamplifier can deliver.

Nov 30, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #2,076 of 8,912
Nov 30, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #2,077 of 8,912
No I prefer the Accuphase control that’s all.
Possible to use other remotes for R26?

I think Im pulling the trigger on the silver/grey unit. Keeping my TT2 to compare if I still will like it.

Does it take long to switch between streamer and dac part?
-is it ancient technology like Holo RED where I have to restart it or something?

Nov 30, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #2,078 of 8,912
I should have mentioned that the point of this post is that the R26 delivers fabulous levels of detail and nuance that enables a preamplifier to tailor the sound to the listener, most Dac's do not have the resolution and the all important believable musical element to the sound to make the presentation enjoyable. There has to be enough musically believable material there for the sound to be moulded to the listener, if that makes any sense.....

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #2,079 of 8,912
I believe that Palyodgree means a good preamplifier can make the world of difference in a music reproduction system. This has always been the way a good music system works, well in my 45 years of experience of listening to recorded music and building systems. I believe that one should not ever underestimate what a good preamplifier can do. The R26 on board preamplifier sounds good out of the box, and it needs considerable pedigree preampfification to make the R26 work better.

If you are after a particular flavour of sound then a preamplifier can deliver the goods, tubes or solid state.

Of course if I have read his post wrong then..... well I still believe that pre is key. In any source of a music system. It is always remarkable what a well engineered preamplifier can deliver.
I apologize drifting off topic however I have to give credence to Sparko Lab preamplifier with that Reed gain , i no longer own the Sparkos however id like to say Wow what a pleasurable volume control that is to use , including a very good headphone section built in.

edit , $2500.00 it’s a stupid good bargain even better bought used .

Attachments

• 668C4548-DF5A-4D21-A73B-0D8F700A6823.jpeg
    668C4548-DF5A-4D21-A73B-0D8F700A6823.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #2,080 of 8,912
I apologize drifting off topic however I have to give credence to Sparko Lab preamplifier with that Reed gain , i no longer own the Sparkos however id like to say Wow what a pleasurable volume control that is to use , including a very good headphone section built in.

edit , $2500.00 it’s a stupid good bargain even better bought used .
Well said for preamps that make the difference between good and great sound

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #2,081 of 8,912
One last thing then I’ll shut up , that Sparkos preamplifier with a good quality headphone including the Gustard R26 pick a track that takes you away I’m pretty sure it put a 1000 yard stare on your face

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #2,082 of 8,912
One last thing then I’ll shut up , that Sparkos preamplifier with a good quality headphone including the Gustard R26 the first track of music would put a 1000 yard stare on your face I’m pretty sure of that .
Not sure what you meant by that being a Brit..... but I can guess!
One last thing then I’ll shut up , that Sparkos preamplifier with a good quality headphone including the Gustard R26 the first track of music would put a 1000 yard stare on your face I’m pretty sure of that .
Not quite sure what you meant by that being a Brit, but I can guess!

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #2,083 of 8,912
Not sure what you meant by that being a Brit..... but I can guess!

Not quite sure what you meant by that being a Brit, but I can guess!
That phrase just stuck in my head recently i had just finished listening to Mozart’s Ave Verum David Chesky fantastic recording my wife said the profound look I had on my face was like I was staring over a long distance ,just something about that piece thats deeply stirring.

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #2,085 of 8,912
No idea. I use fixed volume and don't flip back and forth
To switch between LAN and the other inputs is quite quick. LAN is just like another input.
Yeah me too I put my TT2 in dac mode and forget all about it. Thanks!

This R26 sure made doubt about my first R2R(audio-gd). But Im very close to pull the trigger on it(90%)

Does the R26 have op-amps or discrete?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back