GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Nov 30, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #2,056 of 8,955
for me, the musician does not sound better than the gustard at any volume level. and a gustard is more weightier and bassy for me than pegasus which has a very primitive bass in comparison
I agree, but I'm more talking about tonal balance as opposed to technical prowess. I find the pegasus treble a lot more laid back and can imitate that sound at a higher level if I lower the voltage out on the r26. Some may prefer that sound? Also some amps may prefer a lower input if they have huge gain, again food for thought during dac comparisons.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #2,057 of 8,955
So you mean that the R26 volume control is in fact a treble control? :D Then you must measure the frequency response and adjust accordingly. Otherwise the comparisions are useless. Or use the RCA output instead, but that still needs adjusting, too.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #2,058 of 8,955
When I'll receive the R26 that I ordered, I have the intention to use it a preamp + power amps.
Will I need to set something for its output level?

Nov 30, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #2,059 of 8,955
So you mean that the R26 volume control is in fact a treble control? :D
I would say that would be oversimplified, it changes other things in tandem and also the limiting factor would be it could vary from amp to amp. Something people could easily try at home, if they're not 100% satisfied with the r26. I myself am on fixed output.

Nov 30, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #2,061 of 8,955
It could also be the case where the lower the output of the DAC the more your amp has to compensate, imparting more of its signature. Nevertheless, the ability to control the output voltage is not necessary but very underrated.

Nov 30, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #2,062 of 8,955
It could also be the case where the lower the output of the DAC the more your amp has to compensate, imparting more of its signature. Nevertheless, the ability to control the output voltage is not necessary but very underrated.
With all respect, that's incorrect. It's just to adjust either the sensitivity on the preamp input or to adjust the output of the R26 until the units in the comparision match more or less perfectly. Use a sound level meter.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #2,063 of 8,955
if they're not 100% satisfied with the r26
gustard has absolutely amazing resolution at high frequencies. this is one of the factors that made me fall in love with this DAC. the high frequencies have weight and never sound dry or thin, so I see no problem for a 'high frequencies'phobia

Nov 30, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #2,064 of 8,955
After about a week of burn-in, the R26 being fed by the audio-gd DI-20HE with a Wireworld Platinum silver starlight HDMI cable and using external 10mhz clock sounds absolutely incredible. At least equal to and perhaps better than my audio-gd R-7HE ($3500) dac; also known to perform multiples of times beyond it's price. There is simply nothing wrong with it. Detail, openness, bass, punch, layering, fullness, clear, airy, superb speed, superb separation. There is no weakness I can identify. Absolutely a miracle for the money and may be so so close to the very best one can obtain at any price that it probably makes no sense to even try.

I did attempt to pair it with my audio-gd HE-9 tube preamp (highly acclaimed) and it of course added weight and beauty to the sound. Detail was unaffected and remained superb, but speed and slam took a solid step backwards. The tubes will remain on on the sidelines.
I am really tempted to buy this just as a dac, ofcourse hope the streamer part will be “fixed” with future updates…but not important right now.

Im wondering if it will pair well with my DDC matrix spdif2, since no one has mentioned it here: I2s(matrix spdif2) vs usb(gustard r26)

1. Do you think it competes with the highed audio-gd?

2. Has anybody had any issues with the hdmi cables? - is the I2S port stock pin configuration
- any mods needed for cables?
- which high quality cables recommended?

3. Any noise, distortion, RF or hum?

Nov 30, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #2,065 of 8,955
Nov 30, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #2,066 of 8,955
can you remind me please what is the problem with the streamer?
I have just read problems with the streamerpart of the dac. If it works great and DLNA(Synology) also good Im in.

Nov 30, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #2,067 of 8,955
If it works great and DLNA(Synology) also good Im in.
I use Roon and UPnP in LMS or Audirvana, I have not noticed any problems so far

Nov 30, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #2,068 of 8,955
Love the R26 to death..had one before and was blown away by this DAC's sound but could not live with the audible hum so I send it back to the seller..
The new one is quiet and so I'm a happy camper.
Loved my X26pro but the R26 is better in many way (it's not subtle)..especialy the treble is more detailed, without any grain/glare, which is a great feature
for me since I listen a lot of piano music

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #2,069 of 8,955
Love the R26 to death..had one before and was blown away by this DAC's sound but could not live with the audible hum so I send it back to the seller..
The new one is quiet and so I'm a happy camper.
Loved my X26pro but the R26 is better in many way (it's not subtle)..especialy the treble is more detailed, without any grain/glare, which is a great feature
for me since I listen a lot of piano music
Interesting as I've read that if you're looking for a new DAC, get the R26. But if you have the X26Pro there's no real compelling need for an R26.

Curious for more opinions on the differences from those who've had the X26Pro and also got the R26.

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #2,070 of 8,955
gustard has absolutely amazing resolution at high frequencies. this is one of the factors that made me fall in love with this DAC. the high frequencies have weight and never sound dry or thin, so I see no problem for a 'high frequencies'phobia
The treble reminds me of the sound of tape reference recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back