GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Nov 29, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #2,028 of 8,955
I've been running my Gustard R26 for around 100 hours now to break it in. It probably will change within the next 100 hours, but so far it sounds really good. My previous dac was a Denafrips Terminator II dac, but I had to sell it to fund other projects. I've had a chance to compare it to the Terminator II (not the Terminator Plus). So far, the two dacs are similar but different. The sound from the Terminator II (in my system and in my opinion) was maybe 20% more thicker/denser/weightier than the Gustard R26. The Gustard is reaching down low ... real low. But it's not as dense or heavy sounding as the Terminator II. This might change with another 100 hours burn in though. To me, the Terminator II sounded a little warm, smooth, thick, and just relaxing. When I first plugged in the Gustard it sounded more exciting, like the transient responses were faster. It almost sounded like a combination of my previous Burson Audio Soloist 3XP dac and the Terminator II. I would describe the Gustard R26 as exciting and fast, whereas the Terminator II was smooth and relaxed. Also the Gustard R26 seemed to have a wider soundstage. I remember looking behind me when I first turned it on. Sounds were coming from directions I was not used to. I went to some go-to songs, like Michael Bublé, Fly Me To The Moon, NBV TV special, and the bass in deep and impactful. Not as much as with the Terminator II, but still very impactful. The sax sounds very real at the four minute mark with the Gustard. With Zuill Bailey, Bach, Cello Suite No 4 in E-Flat Major, you can hear the player breathing and creaking in his chair with the Gustard. I went through all my go-to songs to compare, and the Gustard R26 is delivering the goods.

If things change over the next 100 hours I'll update.

For being nearly $3,000 cheaper than the Terminator II, it is a great deal. With that money you could buy a ddc, or a master clock, or a better streamer, or better speakers or headphones, etc. The Terminator II, to me, sounds better...but with $3,000 I could probably purchase some things to make them equal or even make the Gustard come out ahead.

As a disclaimer I'm listening only on a headphone system, no speakers. I use ZMF Vertite Open headphones powered by a Burson Audio Soloist 3XP. My streamer is top notch, being powered by a Sean Jacobs ULPS with Taiko ATX and Pink Faun oxco clock for my motherboard chipset clock. I've only tested with usb so far, as I'm having a difficult time connecting via I2S. So I only compared the usb inputs into the Terminator II and the Gustard R26. I'll compare the I2s later. I needed to replace my Terminator II dac, and for me this was the best solution. I'm satisfied with Gustard R26 and look forward to making improvements by further burn-in, perhaps a master clock, a new SR purple fuse, and by utilizing the I2S input. Just my two cents.
Just as a follow up to my previous entry comparing the Denafrips Terminator II (not the 12 anniversary edition or Terminator Plus). I let the R26 run for a couple hundred hours and then compared it to what I remember of the Terminator II. I owned the Terminator II for six months, but recently sold it. So it's not a side by side comparison, but after listening to the Terminator II for six months, I believe I can remember pretty good its sound signature. In my system, and to my ears, the Terminator II sounds weightier, thicker, and smoother. The R26 sounds more "alive," faster, and exciting. The R26 is not as thick or heavy as the Terminator II. So basically they both have their own sound signature, which can change according to cables, amps, etc. I did keep all the cables and songs the same to do the comparison. Just changed the dacs. If I could keep one, I would personally keep the Terminator II and be happy, as I prefer the weightier sound. But because of budget constraints I will stay with the Gustard R26 and work on the rest of my system to hopefully bring it up to par with the Terminator II. I do have a Synergistic Research Purple fuse in my R26, which I believe adds to it. I do wonder if adding an external clock, like the LHY OCK-2 would add weightiness to the R26, or bring it to par with the Terminator II. I did initially have that high pitch hum coming from the display area on the R26 when in standby mode, but it seems to have gone away. I thought I heard it the other day, so I turned the standby button on and off, and it went away. So hopefully it's gone for good. I had a lot of issues connecting my streamer's I2S connector to the R26, but I discovered that pin 15 had to be shorted with ground on the I2S cable to make it work. Pink Faun, my I2S manufacturer, is going to short pin 15 with pin 17 on their I2S pcie bridge to make it work. So it's nice that Pink Faun is willing to work with me, and other Gustard dac owners, to make it work rather than having to make a custom I2S cable, which would be a pain. All in all I'm very satisfied with the R26. I'll continue to tweak it and see where it goes.... until the R26 Pro comes out :)

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #2,029 of 8,955
Just as a follow up to my previous entry comparing the Denafrips Terminator II (not the 12 anniversary edition or Terminator Plus). I let the R26 run for a couple hundred hours and then compared it to what I remember of the Terminator II. I owned the Terminator II for six months, but recently sold it. So it's not a side by side comparison, but after listening to the Terminator II for six months, I believe I can remember pretty good its sound signature. In my system, and to my ears, the Terminator II sounds weightier, thicker, and smoother. The R26 sounds more "alive," faster, and exciting. The R26 is not as thick or heavy as the Terminator II. So basically they both have their own sound signature, which can change according to cables, amps, etc. I did keep all the cables and songs the same to do the comparison. Just changed the dacs. If I could keep one, I would personally keep the Terminator II and be happy, as I prefer the weightier sound. But because of budget constraints I will stay with the Gustard R26 and work on the rest of my system to hopefully bring it up to par with the Terminator II. I do have a Synergistic Research Purple fuse in my R26, which I believe adds to it. I do wonder if adding an external clock, like the LHY OCK-2 would add weightiness to the R26, or bring it to par with the Terminator II. I did initially have that high pitch hum coming from the display area on the R26 when in standby mode, but it seems to have gone away. I thought I heard it the other day, so I turned the standby button on and off, and it went away. So hopefully it's gone for good. I had a lot of issues connecting my streamer's I2S connector to the R26, but I discovered that pin 15 had to be shorted with ground on the I2S cable to make it work. Pink Faun, my I2S manufacturer, is going to short pin 15 with pin 17 on their I2S pcie bridge to make it work. So it's nice that Pink Faun is willing to work with me, and other Gustard dac owners, to make it work rather than having to make a custom I2S cable, which would be a pain. All in all I'm very satisfied with the R26. I'll continue to tweak it and see where it goes.... until the R26 Pro comes out :)
It is great that you mention weight here because that’s what I think the R26 excels at over the Pontus2 and the Venus2
The music has weight to it. Like a live instrument resonance.
Maybe the Terminator has more of that( I haven’t heard one) but the R26 has a great musical weight and presence.

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #2,030 of 8,955
As what Sandu was saying on his review earlier. It was a BOLD statement back then. And basing from various experiences from you guyz, we could say it was valid afterall.

So my hunch was right :ksc75smile:.
Yes when read that I thought his remarks of the Terminator + Sandu was just in the same camp as me including others that weren’t overly impressed toward the Denafrips sound signature the more we listened however as I discovered myself with other high performing dacs this goes beyond Denifrips flagship dac .

Edit A friend was over a bit of a snob however a nice fellow , I threw a blanket over my component stand moved my desk out of the way and had him sit in my office chair , i played back some choice music he was familiar with . He sat their enjoying it he asked what’s the secret under the blanket I said a $1400 dac , LOL he couldn’t let his guard down melting away his snobbery commenting, yeah sounds OK .

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #2,034 of 8,955
Hi guys can I use a 2A slow blow fuse in the r26? Or which should I use? thank you for any feedback.
Yes, if you use 230V. If you use 120V, you need more. 2,5A or 3,15A

Nov 29, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #2,036 of 8,955
I also owned the Pontus 2 and Terminator 2 12th Anniversary edition. They are very good. However I prefer the R26 out of the box as it jus seems more musical and organic. Also it is thouosands of dollars less than the Terminator 2 and has a nice streamer/bluetooth capability and also a pre-amp - wow !
That is high praise Tom, thanks for sharing, the fact you tried the R26 after having a DAC of the calibre of the TII shows the truth in your username. I’m glad you found the R26 and it met or exceeded expectations, tis a rare thing.

@Palyodgree nice one grounding us back in musicality, enjoyment of the music is what it’s all about. I’ve probably been a bit focussed on technicalities of audible differences between combos of components etc when AB’ing. So many variables so little time. It’s certainly fun to experiment, to optimise, and share one’s observations in case they aid others in their quest, But I do need to just let the music play more.

Nov 29, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #2,037 of 8,955
Yes true enough enjoyment of your music each and every time you want to listen as for the avalanche of components it’s easy to loose sight of your goals and your wallet , stepping off the Merry go round and asking yourself just what is it your looking for . I made a comment in the WarWick thread here on Headfi a couple months ago regarding this very subject, it was a brief comment on wondering why my headphone system is about to hit the 25k mark.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #2,038 of 8,955
Yes true enough enjoyment of your music each and every time you want to listen as for the avalanche of components it’s easy to loose sight of your goals and your wallet , stepping off the Merry go round and asking yourself just what is it your looking for . I made a comment in the WarWick thread here on Headfi a couple months ago regarding this very subject.
In my case I’m coming back to separates since June after years with the KEF LS50W active speakers which I always found a bit unsatisfying. So the pendulum has swung far back the other way, as it does. Indeed it seems I’m going all in with separates, with an impulse buy of a local 1yo Athena pre last week, a beautiful silver/alloy beast of a thing at 17kg. Now need a power amp and then the - as you say - avalanche - of gear really must stop. A consolidation/sell off in the new year of old & unused gear is on the cards.

Edit- WHOA! belatedly read your 25k mark comment, had mislaid my glasses. Goddamn. I had a bit of a read up on the Warwick range last month after seeing them appear in your comments and sig. impressive stuff.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #2,039 of 8,955
My Gustard R26 R2R DAC is burned in and have some final impressions on it (bar a clock which I'll be adding in a few weeks).

TLDR:

It's a fantastic DAC. It is incredible value for money.

Is it beating all the top of the line DACs out there that's claimed? I am skeptical but I don't have those to test with me.

Biggest thing it does - at this price point, is it changes the price to value equation when considering the bigger DACs in town. Is the sound difference vs say a Pontus II going to be worth another AUD$1000? It's for others to say, but the disruptive thing Gustard are doing is selling a v high quality piece of equipment at this price. It's a great landling point for mid-fi systems like mine.

DACs Compared (blind tested):
Zen stream / Burson Conductor 3x GT (in DAC only mode, and in DAC + Preamp mode) vs Mojo2/Poly 2 vs Lan / Gustard R26

System: Willsengton r8 tube amp with upgraded tubes -> Buchardt SK400 MKIIs and Hifiman Arya’s

Pros:
  • Sound (R2R ladder / OS) - is very good. The filters (Fast / Medium / Slow) made a good difference to tune the DAC to my rig (I settled on Fast).
    The Gustard has better base extension, timbre, soundstage depth relative to mojo 2 / poly 2. Burson was a distant 3rd really on all tests.
  • Sound (R2R ladder / NOS with HQ Player). With HQ player, these qualities remain, but the shimmer / air in the top end is really something (to my ears) and it pushes further ahead of the other two DACs. Interestingly, I found the base extension advantage lessened on some HQ filter settings which makes me wonder whether the native PCM filter is what's driving the bass impact.
  • LAN input - this is awesome, I think it outperforms slightly the other inputs. (Others have had other experiences here I know). The convenience of this is really good. Roon finds it straight away. HQplayer running via LAN is my preferred set up now similar to Jake. Really adds to the picture (though HQ player can be a little particular)
  • Clock - this is intriguing. Not yet tested.
  • I tested movies with the DAC and experienced no sync issues for me on audio / visual (via USB).

Drawbacks / Things to watch out for:
  • No idea is this the 'giant killer' that's been claimed. While it beat the Mojo by a fair degree, it's not 2x the DAC the mojo is. It's a good 20-25% better maybe (though they have different strengths). I am still a little skeptical of some of the claims. However, I suspect (and it would be nice, given I am invested) it will at least come close to those other DACs.
  • HQ player set up is not perfect. Without HQplayer, life is a wee bit simpler - turn on the rig and your playing music straightaway via Roon. With HQ player on, I find i need to sometimes reset HQ player (which is on a MAC away from the audio set up) first thing in the day to get it to talk to the Gustard. After that it works perfectly for the day (not sure if a gustard or HQ player thing). When a/b testing, I couldn't switch back from HQ player via LAN/DAC to just the LAN/DAC, without restarting the machine (this is an edge case scenario, can't imagine anyone really needing to do this often).
  • Menu system and the general software side of things is OK - not great. While the DAC finish and internals are good, software side feels more Topping end of town when it comes to the menu system / software. I haven't had any issues but it's not premium like other models
For many mid-fi rigs out there, like mine, I think the Gustard is going to be one of the best price / performance DACs out there. I think that’s why people are so excited and why the hype train has been good for this DAC. With other DACs I have tried in my system (with the exception of the chord dacs), there's always been something 'off' about the sound, this is the most engaged I have been in the music to date. It's a highly recommend from me (but don't necessarily expect the world from it).
ok - I thought i would come back and update this earlier post based on my experiences with adding an LHY Ock-1 to my system.

Current System: Google Nest Router (as a point) with ethernet to Gustard R26 -> Willsenton R8 with upgraded tubes -> Buchard SK400 Mkii's / Hifiman Arya's

Comparisons: Inserting the LHY Ock-1 to current system with Gustard R26 (blind testing with the external clock off and on), Introducing a laptop into the system via USB instead of the Wifi Router (as USB should bring about more noise) and again testing the external clock. No DDC to test with the clock unfortunately at this time. All comparisons were driven off Roon. Cable used was the 50ohm cable available from the supplier (Beatechnik).

Note: I think what's important here to note in my set up is that my speaker system is down the other end of the house, with no other heavy electronics working on same line or at same time. There is no PC driving the signal - so it's relatively clean, driven by LAN. There is no power conditioning or any other power purifiers on the line.

TLDR:

In blind tests, there is a small difference - slightly base improvement and slight soundstage. This was only really noticeable on electronic / base heavy tracks. Was not noticeable on natural instrumentation tracks.

On the LAN setting with wifi router - the difference is v small, and only noticeable with extensive A/B testing. I would not recommend purchasing this clock if you are working on the LAN setting. I can't say the cost of purchases justifies the v v small improvement I am hearing.

On the USB set up - two things were apparent.
  1. there was more noticeable sound quality degradation via this input
  2. the difference with the clock was more noticeable but still small.
On USB set ups - people could potentially benefit from a clock (but i suspect a good DDC should suffice). I think people should research the audio-gd di20he and Singxer SU-6 which do not need ext clocks and have measured very well on jitter / noise performance.

Pros:
  • The LHY Ock-1 is a beautiful piece of equipment. Well made - heavy feel. Nice black finish. It looks great on the rack. Service / shipping were great.
  • V small improvement in base performance / soundstage
Drawbacks:
  • The difference was v small - i.e. 1%. The clock and cable was nearly 1/3 the price of the DAC. I don't think it's worth it
    • Some notes here
      • The science says that external clocks introduce jitter / noise, almost always. It's possible that this change in sonic performance is preferable (people don't always like what measures well).
      • Goldenone did a review of the Gustard x26 with an ext clock (which I just found) and his measurement analysis revealed overall increased jitter with the external clock, but potentially less jitter performance in the lower frequencies. I believe, but can't be sure, the R26 is using the same femto clock synthesiser as the x26. He is using a different ext clock and the X26 dac but I hypothesise this is what is happening in my set up
      • My guess here is that if you have a noisy set up (e.g. with a pc) - you are betting on a DDC (with potentially an external clock) introducing less jitter / noise overall than by not having the DDC/Ext Clock, and this would make sense to me based on my limited experience with these tests.

So if you have a noisy set up (e.g. with a pc) - you might benefit from a clock and ddc. However, i'd explore those other DDC units mentioned above first as they have good internal clocks and you may avoid the external clock route altogether.

If you have a LAN set up similar to mine and a speaker system of similar resolving capability to mine - I think most people can rest assured the DAC is great in its own right. @Jake2 has (i think from his sig) nice Focal Sopras so his results mentioned earlier might be down to those speakers and his particular set up. @Jake2 - if you have any pointers that I can try with this clock to get any additional benefits - happy to test.

Overall - was good to experiment and learn something new. I'll most likely consider moving the clock on to an owner / system that might benefit from it.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #2,040 of 8,955
ok - I thought i would come back and update this earlier post based on my experiences with adding an LHY Ock-1 to my system.

Current System: Google Nest Router (as a point) with ethernet to Gustard R26 -> Willsenton R8 with upgraded tubes -> Buchard SK400 Mkii's / Hifiman Arya's

Comparisons: Inserting the LHY Ock-1 to current system with Gustard R26 (blind testing with the external clock off and on), Introducing a laptop into the system via USB instead of the Wifi Router (as USB should bring about more noise) and again testing the external clock. No DDC to test with the clock unfortunately at this time. All comparisons were driven off Roon. Cable used was the 50ohm cable available from the supplier (Beatechnik).

Note: I think what's important here to note in my set up is that my speaker system is down the other end of the house, with no other heavy electronics working on same line or at same time. There is no PC driving the signal - so it's relatively clean, driven by LAN. There is no power conditioning or any other power purifiers on the line.

TLDR:

In blind tests, there is a small difference - slightly base improvement and slight soundstage. This was only really noticeable on electronic / base heavy tracks. Was not noticeable on natural instrumentation tracks.

On the LAN setting with wifi router - the difference is v small, and only noticeable with extensive A/B testing. I would not recommend purchasing this clock if you are working on the LAN setting. I can't say the cost of purchases justifies the v v small improvement I am hearing.

On the USB set up - two things were apparent.
  1. there was more noticeable sound quality degradation via this input
  2. the difference with the clock was more noticeable but still small.
On USB set ups - people could potentially benefit from a clock (but i suspect a good DDC should suffice). I think people should research the audio-gd di20he and Singxer SU-6 which do not need ext clocks and have measured very well on jitter / noise performance.

Pros:
  • The LHY Ock-1 is a beautiful piece of equipment. Well made - heavy feel. Nice black finish. It looks great on the rack. Service / shipping were great.
  • V small improvement in base performance / soundstage
Drawbacks:
  • The difference was v small - i.e. 1%. The clock and cable was nearly 1/3 the price of the DAC. I don't think it's worth it
    • Some notes here
      • The science says that external clocks introduce jitter / noise, almost always. It's possible that this change in sonic performance is preferable (people don't always like what measures well).
      • Goldenone did a review of the Gustard x26 with an ext clock (which I just found) and his measurement analysis revealed overall increased jitter with the external clock, but potentially less jitter performance in the lower frequencies. I believe, but can't be sure, the R26 is using the same femto clock synthesiser as the x26. He is using a different ext clock and the X26 dac but I hypothesise this is what is happening in my set up
      • My guess here is that if you have a noisy set up (e.g. with a pc) - you are betting on a DDC (with potentially an external clock) introducing less jitter / noise overall than by not having the DDC/Ext Clock, and this would make sense to me based on my limited experience with these tests.

So if you have a noisy set up (e.g. with a pc) - you might benefit from a clock and ddc. However, i'd explore those other DDC units mentioned above first as they have good internal clocks and you may avoid the external clock route altogether.

If you have a LAN set up similar to mine and a speaker system of similar resolving capability to mine - I think most people can rest assured the DAC is great in its own right. @Jake2 has (i think from his sig) nice Focal Sopras so his results mentioned earlier might be down to those speakers and his particular set up. @Jake2 - if you have any pointers that I can try with this clock to get any additional benefits - happy to test.

Overall - was good to experiment and learn something new. I'll most likely consider moving the clock on to an owner / system that might benefit from it.

Once again a great write-up @Odezra. But darn! I’m naturally disappointed you didn’t experience the improvements I got - and still very much enjoy - in my system. I gotta say I feel bad for effectively encouraging you to spend a decent amount of money on this if it ends up bringing your system such a minor improvement. I’ve tried to acknowledge I’ve been a bit of a convert/zealot on this (and still am) and say YMMV a few times but appreciate that far from cancels out the enthusiasm I’ve expressed and my positive observations.

In terms of why the different result? I don’t claim to be any technical expert here, just a hifi enthusiast trying things, and reading as much as I can. I am aware of others in this and other threads getting very modest results and a lot of variability with cables etc. And others like me who get great results and would never give theirs up.

I can and will theorise on the reasons for the differences, but really it is just very slightly informed guesswork. So here goes: variability in phase noise of OCXOs from unit to unit (some suggestion early OCK-1s may have phase noise up to 5db better than the claimed spec of -110db. No longer the case with OCK2s getting the best OCXOs. One experienced clock user was surprised/impressed I could hear cable differences with a ‘mere’ -110db unit, so perhaps I lucked in, I’ve no way of measuring it); variation in OCK1 units’ quality of internal wiring /circuits resulting in greater internal impedance mismatches/reflections; shielding & level of internal reflectivity (return loss) of cable used (what cable did you use?); length of time OCK-1 has been left on - how long have you had it?

So only obvious controllable variables, things to try that jump out to me are: more time (eg days/week); sine rather than square output (former better for me); putting DAC in NOS/DSD Direct mode (also better); maybe a different cable but totally understand if you don’t want to go there - good money after bad etc. That’s it off the top of my head, will advise if I think of anything else.

Again, darn!

Jake

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back