GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Nov 29, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #2,011 of 8,955
My Gustard R26 R2R DAC is burned in and have some final impressions on it (bar a clock which I'll be adding in a few weeks).

TLDR:

It's a fantastic DAC. It is incredible value for money.

Is it beating all the top of the line DACs out there that's claimed? I am skeptical but I don't have those to test with me.

Biggest thing it does - at this price point, is it changes the price to value equation when considering the bigger DACs in town. Is the sound difference vs say a Pontus II going to be worth another AUD$1000? It's for others to say, but the disruptive thing Gustard are doing is selling a v high quality piece of equipment at this price. It's a great landling point for mid-fi systems like mine.

DACs Compared (blind tested):
Zen stream / Burson Conductor 3x GT (in DAC only mode, and in DAC + Preamp mode) vs Mojo2/Poly 2 vs Lan / Gustard R26

System: Willsengton r8 tube amp with upgraded tubes -> Buchardt SK400 MKIIs and Hifiman Arya’s

Pros:
  • Sound (R2R ladder / OS) - is very good. The filters (Fast / Medium / Slow) made a good difference to tune the DAC to my rig (I settled on Fast).
    The Gustard has better base extension, timbre, soundstage depth relative to mojo 2 / poly 2. Burson was a distant 3rd really on all tests.
  • Sound (R2R ladder / NOS with HQ Player). With HQ player, these qualities remain, but the shimmer / air in the top end is really something (to my ears) and it pushes further ahead of the other two DACs. Interestingly, I found the base extension advantage lessened on some HQ filter settings which makes me wonder whether the native PCM filter is what's driving the bass impact.
  • LAN input - this is awesome, I think it outperforms slightly the other inputs. (Others have had other experiences here I know). The convenience of this is really good. Roon finds it straight away. HQplayer running via LAN is my preferred set up now similar to Jake. Really adds to the picture (though HQ player can be a little particular)
  • Clock - this is intriguing. Not yet tested.
  • I tested movies with the DAC and experienced no sync issues for me on audio / visual (via USB).

Drawbacks / Things to watch out for:
  • No idea is this the 'giant killer' that's been claimed. While it beat the Mojo by a fair degree, it's not 2x the DAC the mojo is. It's a good 20-25% better maybe (though they have different strengths). I am still a little skeptical of some of the claims. However, I suspect (and it would be nice, given I am invested) it will at least come close to those other DACs.
  • HQ player set up is not perfect. Without HQplayer, life is a wee bit simpler - turn on the rig and your playing music straightaway via Roon. With HQ player on, I find i need to sometimes reset HQ player (which is on a MAC away from the audio set up) first thing in the day to get it to talk to the Gustard. After that it works perfectly for the day (not sure if a gustard or HQ player thing). When a/b testing, I couldn't switch back from HQ player via LAN/DAC to just the LAN/DAC, without restarting the machine (this is an edge case scenario, can't imagine anyone really needing to do this often).
  • Menu system and the general software side of things is OK - not great. While the DAC finish and internals are good, software side feels more Topping end of town when it comes to the menu system / software. I haven't had any issues but it's not premium like other models
For many mid-fi rigs out there, like mine, I think the Gustard is going to be one of the best price / performance DACs out there. I think that’s why people are so excited and why the hype train has been good for this DAC. With other DACs I have tried in my system (with the exception of the chord dacs), there's always been something 'off' about the sound, this is the most engaged I have been in the music to date. It's a highly recommend from me (but don't necessarily expect the world from it).
Excellent write-up with specific feed back. Answered most of my doubts. I am planning to use in a similar way, through LAN/Roon/HqPlayer. I have ordered U18 too. Want to try with Mac Mini M1 through U18-USB --> R26-I2S. The HQPlayer binding happens to me also with my Pro-Ject S2. Till the HQplayer is on, I am not able to play anything direct to Pro-Ject.

Nov 29, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #2,012 of 8,955
Excellent write-up with specific feed back. Answered most of my doubts. I am planning to use in a similar way, through LAN/Roon/HqPlayer. I have ordered U18 too. Want to try with Mac Mini M1 through U18-USB --> R26-I2S. The HQPlayer binding happens to me also with my Pro-Ject S2. Till the HQplayer is on, I am not able to play anything direct to Pro-Ject.
I use the R26 in the same way as @Odezra with Roon/HQP direct to the R26 NAA/internal streamer - and I agree his was a quality review and is consistent with my impressions of the R26. I also have the U18 but prefer the sound of HQP via the R26 NAA. I shared my observations at length a little earlier in the thread.

Nov 29, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #2,013 of 8,955
My own experience with the R26 my early impression is the Gustard is cut from the cloth of musicallity , in my books is a big deal it’s easy to put together a system that plays back music though much harder for one that sounds musical,..So much out there today is highly detailed presentation seemingly hyper focused spot lighting which becomes fatiguing , that’s not what really music being played in an acoustic space sounds like at all .

This dac , R26 , scales up beautifully not only in my modest system in one that is a big step up over my , with other dacs laying around at my disposal I bet the majority here in a blind test could not pick between the Holo Audio May KTE dac and the Gustard R26 though I could I once owned the May KTE, perhaps member EMINENT can back me up or disagree.
$5,500.00 May over $1400.00 for the Gustard .

Don‘t get me wrong here about the difference’s in retail pricing most time you will get what you pay for though i look at a dac as a component to fine tuning the overall sound you prefer directly comparing the R 26 with three other dacs in the under 3K to 5-8k price categories the Gustard punched back hard knocking one dac out cold with one punch , the Musician Aquarius.

I said this awhile ago earlier in this thread the Gustard is biting at the heels of more prominent dacs with recent direct comparisons of other brands I am even more confident of this statement.

Nov 29, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #2,014 of 8,955
I use the R26 in the same way as @Odezra with Roon/HQP direct to the R26 NAA/internal streamer - and I agree his was a quality review and is consistent with my impressions of the R26. I also have the U18 but prefer the sound of HQP via the R26 NAA. I shared my observations at length a little earlier in the thread.
Thanks @Jake2, as I introduced my self, I am a newbie here and started reading this thread. I read many of your experience reg R26, much useful to me.

Nov 29, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #2,015 of 8,955
My own experience with the R26 my early impression is the Gustard is cut from the cloth of musicallity , in my books is a big deal it’s easy to put together a system that plays back music though much harder for one that sounds musical,..So much out there today is highly detailed presentation seemingly hyper focused spot lighting which becomes fatiguing , that’s not what really music being played in an acoustic space sounds like at all .

This dac , R26 , scales up beautifully not only in my modest system in one that is a big step up over my , with other dacs laying around at my disposal I bet the majority here in a blind test could not pick between the Holo Audio May KTE dac and the Gustard R26 though I could I once owned the May KTE, perhaps member EMINENT can back me up or disagree.

Don‘t get me wrong here about the difference’s in retail pricing most time you will get what you pay for though i look at a dac as a component to fine tuning the overall sound you prefer directly comparing the R 26 with three other dacs in the under 3K to 5-8k price categories the Gustard punched back hard knocking one dac out cold with one punch , the Musician Aquarius.

I said this awhile ago earlier in this thread the Gustard is biting at the heels of more prominent dacs with recent direct comparisons of other brands I am even more confident of this statement.
I was about to make a purchase of Denafripps Ares II. Luckily I came across Gustard R26 and changed my mind to R26. Point is, R26 will knock out many brand in the market. I want to put my hands on to believe R26 is in the similar calibre of Pontus or even Terminator ????

Nov 29, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #2,016 of 8,955
I was about to make a purchase of Denafripps Ares II. Luckily I came across Gustard R26 and changed my mind to R26. Point is, R26 will knock out many brand in the market. I want to put my hands on to believe R26 is in the similar calibre of Pontus or even Terminator
I had the Denafrips Terminator and then later tried the Terminator 2 I could not warm up to the sound signature of both models though many love this brand it’s not for me .
edit actually trying out different components in ones own system there is no better substitution though my analysis like anyone else’s boils down to personal taste .

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #2,017 of 8,955
Received a R26 today. Way too early impression - WOW!
Look forward to your and Camrectors impressions what the R,26 brought to your table‘s.

Nov 29, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #2,018 of 8,955
I had the Denafrips Terminator and then later tried the Terminator 2 I could not warm up to the sound signature of both models though many love this brand it’s not for me .
edit actually trying out different components in ones own system there is no better substitution though my analysis like anyone else’s boils down to personal taste .
I also owned the Pontus 2 and Terminator 2 12th Anniversary edition. They are very good. However I prefer the R26 out of the box as it jus seems more musical and organic. Also it is thouosands of dollars less than the Terminator 2 and has a nice streamer/bluetooth capability and also a pre-amp - wow !

Nov 29, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #2,019 of 8,955
I also owned the Pontus 2 and Terminator 2 12th Anniversary edition. They are very good. However I prefer the R26 out of the box as it jus seems more musical and organic. Also it is thouosands of dollars less than the Terminator 2 and has a nice streamer/bluetooth capability and also a pre-amp - wow !
You have a good ear for that musicallity.

Nov 29, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #2,020 of 8,955

While I worked on my second cup of coffee I read this comment then read it again after letting it sink in I realized just how much is being said here . I’ve had my R-26 for just overa week I struggled with comments I wanted to say here about it I didn’t just want to repeat what most everybody else were saying . Your comments of the R-26 sounding more like music is such a good description it just evaded my thinking what the R-26 brings to the table .

I use a Innuos Zenith server streamer HiFiman Susvaras with Ferrum Audio OOR with Hypsos power supply I seem to connect more readily to my music then previously, what I mean to say with the R-26 in my system now my favourite music gets to my emotions I’m not thinking what else I can do to improve the sound I’m just enjoying my music seemly more as more time passes I’ll most likely have more to say.

PS your remark of the R-26 bitting at the heals of more prominent dac brands hit the nail squarely on the head , my previous dac was expensive .

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #2,021 of 8,955
Having used Zen Streamer / Dac 2 and another set of Allo USBridge / Pro-Ject Digital S2, decided to bite the bullet with R26. Have ordered R26 and U18 together. Anyone trying this combination ? Also, kindly share your expereience on LAN port. Is it recognizing ROON ? Whats the option for streaming TIDAL (without Roon), till we get that feature available ? Is it unfolding MQA ??
Lan input is amazing
Roon immediately detects it. Nothing else is needed. Return your U18 and get a LHY Ock-1 or Ock-2 clock.

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #2,022 of 8,955
Look forward to your and Camrectors impressions what the R,26 brought to your table‘s.
I’ll do a detailed write up this weekend after some more burn in time.

I was about to make a purchase of Denafripps Ares II. Luckily I came across Gustard R26 and changed my mind to R26. Point is, R26 will knock out many brand in the market. I want to put my hands on to believe R26 is in the similar calibre of Pontus or even Terminator ????
The R26 beat my own Pontus 2 (which I sold) and a Venus 2 that I had planned to upgrade to and had borrowed.
I was not expecting this at all!! I am thrilled. I have upgraded my network system and plan to get a clock to try. Selling my streamer now too as it’s no longer needed.
My only complaint is that I was

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #2,023 of 8,955
Ccomparing the R 26 with three other dacs in the under 3K to 5-8k price categories the Gustard punched back hard knocking one dac out cold with one punch , the Musician Aquarius.

I said this awhile ago earlier in this thread the Gustard is biting at the heels of more prominent dacs with recent direct comparisons of other brands..

As what Sandu was saying on his review earlier. It was a BOLD statement back then. And basing from various experiences from you guyz, we could say it was valid afterall.

So my hunch was right :ksc75smile:.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back