Gustard Amplifiers and DACs
Oct 12, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #527 of 605
Sorry for the stupid question: if I use XRL to RCA adapters in X10/12 DAC have I still the greater output voltage XLR provides vs. RCA output? Or have I to use XLR cables? 

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #529 of 605
thanks
so I should buy a cable with XLR at one end and RCA at the other end or should the amp have XLR inputs? (to preserve the greater voltage output of the DAC via XLR)
thanks in advance

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #530 of 605
  mogami comes to mind. great cable/ends, easy on the wallet :wink:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/balancedaudio/index.htm
for $30 these guys will put Neutrik heads on a Beldin 1800F cable in any color+length of your choice.  I wonder if bluejean could also permanently attach a Neutrik or Canare XLR/SPDIF transformer at one end for those people that can't use XLR on both ends.

I think everyone should start with one of those and a $7 Belkin gold USB cable.
They also make a great benchmark to quantify improvement after your system is tricked out and you're prepared to spend north of $200 of a cable.

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #531 of 605
  thanks
so I should buy a cable with XLR at one end and RCA at the other end or should the amp have XLR inputs? (to preserve the greater voltage output of the DAC via XLR)
thanks in advance

Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do, or the particulars of your dac and amp, but it seems to me like you're creating a problem that doesn't need solving; if your dac has xlr outputs, it'll most likely also have rca. So, why are you trying to connect xlr to rca? You can only use the connection protocol that both devices share, and rca is the most common.

Balanced may have a higher voltage (I don't know), but as I understand it, it's basically the same signal as rca, but with grounded (earthed) screening. This should have a benefit for very long runs (say 3-5m+), but for everyday connections the benefits of xlr vs rca are hotly debated. In other words: there's no definite advantage.

If your kit has xlr connections (on both components) get a balanced cable (don't pay too much) and enjoy the possible benefits. If they only have rca, then get a standard interconnect and be the same as the majority of us; happy with that.

Incidentally, some directional rca interconnects will give the benefit of what you're effectively trying to do (earth the screening at the source); they have screening earthed with the return signal, at one end. Some would argue that this is potentially superior to xlr, as it isn't passing interference from one component's casing to another.
I couldn't tell you models or brands, just don't spend too much; cables, whilst important, are the most 'snake oiled' products that I know of!

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #532 of 605
  http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/balancedaudio/index.htm
for $30 these guys will put Neutrik heads on a Beldin 1800F cable in any color+length of your choice.  I wonder if bluejean could also permanently attach a Neutrik or Canare XLR/SPDIF transformer at one end for those people that can't use XLR on both ends.

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a03.html

Ghent is a lot cheaper.

Oct 13, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #535 of 605
  indeed you'll save $10 but Canare DA206 has 12% higher capacitance than Belden 1800F
(I don't doubt the Neutrik connectors are identical)

do you use the ghent USB cables?  I wonder how the Belkin Gold would fare against those.

That is meant for AES/EBU connection.
Why use it to connect between X12 and H10?

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #537 of 605
I used AES cables which i got from mono-price to connect Gustard X12 XLR to my JBL 305 XLR's inputs and those work without issues. I didn't think they would as I originally had XLR cables that wasn't long enough to even use to do it.Since I originally had the XLR cables for the X12 to the H10. Just as long you don't go try to plug XLR cables into the AES plug on the Gustard X12 as it wont work right in reverse because of the XLR cable not being made around aes specs and would cause issues.

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #538 of 605
Hi guys,
I have sold my x12 and misplaced my windows driver installation disc. Can I find this online or would someone be willing to send me a download link for their copy? Thanks a bunch guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back