Gun-Fi
May 18, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #901 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I'm hoping to go to a shooting range over the summer and fire some shotguns and maybe some pistols (even though I'm under 21). What's the average price of partaking in such an activity, or does it vary wildly (i.e. how much ammo you use, how long you plan to use it, etc.)?

Range rates are about $12 an hour at the LAX Firing Range near me. Ammo runs $15-$25 for 100 rounds, you also have to buy paper targets ($0.25-$0.75 each) and you have to rent a gun if you don't have one. I haven't rented, bub IIRC, they're $6-$12 an hour or so. When I go, I usually spend about $60-$70 to shoot 200 rounds, which is a pretty good day. You'll also need to bring eye and hearing protection, or you can rent them. It's probably been discussed here, but I like to use foam plugs under a headset. Either is good enough, but doubling up can't hurt.

If you're going to be around LA and want to shoot, drop me a PM some time. I've got a couple .45 ACPs, a 9mm and a 20 gauge pump. There's an assortment of rifles and shotguns down in the desert - I should probably bring a few of those up next time I'm down there. Anyhow, drop me a line if you want to go.

May 18, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #902 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Range rates are about $12 an hour at the LAX Firing Range near me. Ammo runs $15-$25 for 100 rounds, you also have to buy paper targets ($0.25-$0.75 each) and you have to rent a gun if you don't have one. I haven't rented, bub IIRC, they're $6-$12 an hour or so. When I go, I usually spend about $60-$70 to shoot 200 rounds, which is a pretty good day. You'll also need to bring eye and hearing protection, or you can rent them. It's probably been discussed here, but I like to use foam plugs under a headset. Either is good enough, but doubling up can't hurt.

If you're going to be around LA and want to shoot, drop me a PM some time. I've got a couple .45 ACPs, a 9mm and a 20 gauge pump. There's an assortment of rifles and shotguns down in the desert - I should probably bring a few of those up next time I'm down there. Anyhow, drop me a line if you want to go.

$15 - $25 for 100 rounds? If that's 9 mm or 45, I may have to buy some when I'm LA for CanJam. Not counting Walmart, which never has either in stock almost all the time, the best I've been able to do is around $14 to $20 per 50 of either 9 mm or 45.

May 18, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #903 of 1,730
Cheers for the great offer, Uncle Erik. Unfortunately, this is finals week, and then I'm back in San Jose until late August.

May 18, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #904 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$15 - $25 for 100 rounds? If that's 9 mm or 45, I may have to buy some when I'm LA for CanJam. Not counting Walmart, which never has either in stock almost all the time, the best I've been able to do is around $14 to $20 per 50 of either 9 mm or 45.

You need to go to a gun show Mike, a bit cheaper.

May 19, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #905 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to go to a gun show Mike, a bit cheaper.

I will check out the next one but I hear the prices are high at the shows as well. People buy all they can from Walmart and sell at a profit.

Jun 7, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #907 of 1,730
I am new gun owner and really enjoy the chances I can get to the range (or find ammo...).

My first handgun was a Bersa Thunder .380 which I quickly traded for a Glock 19 since I regretted not getting one as soon as I came home with the Bersa :

DSC01160.jpg

Then I got the Glock 19, my baby :

DSC01162.jpg

I am going to look at getting a Nagant M1895 7.62mm revolver and then I will probably be done buying handguns for a while.

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #908 of 1,730
Hello Yall !

I use to have SigSauer 226 9mm., but here in Germany, you cant have any arms @ home ...
So i give my Sig to my best man, and will get new piece when i move back to Florida !

I would like to share opinion about possible handgun!

I prefer .40 SW ammos, but time after time i am thinking about .45 just cuz i see some idiots on crack keep going even after multiple 9mm shoots ...

Too bad "Black Talon" is out for good !

Black Talon

Black Talon Wiki

Anyway ...

There is couple choices for self defence gun i am thinking about:

"Tanfoglio Brothers" Gold Custom:

Gold%20Custom%20Eric%202.jpg

is famoust IPSC [International Practical Shooting Confederation] champion Eric Grauffel gun ... If is good for him - will be good for me too .. LoL

Eric Grauffel and "Gold Custom" in action:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Second choice should be a "Bull Transmark" model Bul-M5 Ulrimate Racer:

BULM5UltimateRacerWeb.JPG

... based on 1911 model

... "Caspian Arms" High Capacity

caspianhc1.jpg

Caspian Arm High Capacity

Then, "STI" MatchMaster

MatchMaster09_Main.jpg

MatchMaster09_Detail2.jpg

I know, i know, those are a bit bulky pieces, but, i like it ...

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #911 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am new gun owner and really enjoy the chances I can get to the range (or find ammo...).

My first handgun was a Bersa Thunder .380 which I quickly traded for a Glock 19 since I regretted not getting one as soon as I came home with the Bersa :

DSC01160.jpg

Then I got the Glock 19, my baby :

DSC01162.jpg

I am going to look at getting a Nagant M1895 7.62mm revolver and then I will probably be done buying handguns for a while.

Hi there, Glocks are great pieces (owned a couple) however they require you to become fully familiar w/ their operation. Hope you spend a couple hundred rounds breaking the piece, and regular visits to the range to maintain proficiency.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #912 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by komi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad "Black Talon" is out for good !

Winchester learned a marketing lesson after the hysteria and fairy tale reputation they erroneously took on.

This round was relabeled and, reportedly, improved slightly by Winchester. The scary black coating (Lubalox, not Teflon) was removed and the round is now simply called Ranger SXT or T series. The retail boxes now are labeled "Law Enforcement" although it's readily available to the general public here. Again, this is "good marketing", as it gives the outward impression that it's only used by government agencies.

Tanfoglio, STI and others are incredibly impressive in the hands of competition shooters, but I can't see bothering for HD. I recently starting shooing practical shooting matches (production only), and those cats who are running race guns are doing so for a reason. They are very fast!

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #913 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Winchester learned a marketing lesson after the hysteria and fairy tale reputation they erroneously took on.

This round was relabeled and, reportedly, improved slightly by Winchester. The scary black coating (Lubalox, not Teflon) was removed and the round is now simply called Ranger SXT or T series. The retail boxes now are labeled "Law Enforcement" although it's is readily available to the general public here. Again, this is "good" marketing, as it gives the outward impression that it's only used by government agencies.

Tanfoglio, STI and others are incredibly impressive in the hands of competition shooters, but I can't see bothering for HD. I recently starting shooing practical shooting matches (production only), and those cats who are running race guns are doing so for a reason. They are very fast!

I got IPSC competition Licence too, but - i dont have a gun anymore, this mean, no competition for me while i am here !

Black Talon was out after nick name - Cop Killer ... !

Thanx for let me know there is substitution ... :)

Regards !

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #914 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Glock and Nagant... that's going to make an interesting, juxtaposing pair.

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #915 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm personally not a fan of race guns. Give me an Ed Brown Special Forces Carry any day

x2. Except I live in IL where there is no concealed carry so I'll take the Government size instead.

I'm debating between a Brown Special Forces or a Baer Thunder Ranch in hard chrome as my next 1911 purchase. Also thinking about a HC HW Monolith but it should probably be something with night sights as I only have one pistol with night sights in my collection and could use another.

IMG_0377.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back