Gun-Fi
May 23, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #166 of 1,730
P22_3_B_lrg.jpg

Does anyone here have any experience with the Walther P22? I've got a friend of mine who I let shoot my Ruger 22/45 and she did well with it. Also did well with my old Ruger Mark II. We went upstairs afterwards to look at a few in the case and she seemed to take a liking to it. It's a tad small in my hands but fit hers pretty good. They also had a Sig Mosquito, but I've read some so-so reports on the web about that one.

May 23, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #167 of 1,730
Any chances of leaving the discussion out of this thread before it gets locked, and at this rate, I don't doubt it's too late?

Everybody has an opinion on the issue of guns / careless use / right to own, etc, and most are completely beat-your-head-against-the-wall set in it so it's not like anybody will change their point of view easily. Everybody also has some logical way to explain why they're "right" and I'm sorry I posted a discussion type comment in this thread.

Some of the collector's weapons here are really beautiful and some are just interesting, and Old Pa, I was talking about the Winchester you posted in Post 144.

I really don't want to get this thread locked by going completely off-topic.

May 23, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #168 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P22_3_B_lrg.jpg

Does anyone here have any experience with the Walther P22? I've got a friend of mine who I let shoot my Ruger 22/45 and she did well with it. Also did well with my old Ruger Mark II. We went upstairs afterwards to look at a few in the case and she seemed to take a liking to it. It's a tad small in my hands but fit hers pretty good. They also had a Sig Mosquito, but I've read some so-so reports on the web about that one.

Don't buy a Sig Mosquito. Way too many issues.

I own a P22 and I love mine. You will find some "reliability" claims as each gun (Like any gun) does better with certain ammo then others. I ran 500 rounds through mine the other day within 2 hours and had no FTE's. It's a great gun and a fun gun to shoot. Nice thing also is that it shoots cheap .22 ammo.

I tried a quite a few of the .22 caliber handguns but liked the price, ergonomics, and such of the P22 more then others. It's also a very fun gun to shoot suppressed and is good to introduce you into the world of Class 3 items.

May 23, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #169 of 1,730
I have no pictures, but a Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62mm X 54R, almost exactly like the OP's, and a 12-gauge shotgun I'm "borrowing" from my dad. I'd like to eventually get a scoped .22 and a 9mm (thinking about the Ruger P95).

May 23, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #170 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by D1g1talV3n0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't buy a Sig Mosquito. Way too many issues.

I own a P22 and I love mine. You will find some "reliability" claims as each gun (Like any gun) does better with certain ammo then others. I ran 500 rounds through mine the other day within 2 hours and had no FTE's. It's a great gun and a fun gun to shoot. Nice thing also is that it shoots cheap .22 ammo.

I tried a quite a few of the .22 caliber handguns but liked the price, ergonomics, and such of the P22 more then others. It's also a very fun gun to shoot suppressed and is good to introduce you into the world of Class 3 items.

I could swear that the gun shop here said it's great but just a bit finicky with ammo. Something like lead only is best? Can't remember. If they made a +2 cap for the end of the magazine I would probably have no problem. Hope she buys one. They have one for range rent there so next time I go I'll suggest that she rent it and see how it works for her.

May 23, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #171 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could swear that the gun shop here said it's great but just a bit finicky with ammo. Something like lead only is best? Can't remember. If they made a +2 cap for the end of the magazine I would probably have no problem. Hope she buys one. They have one for range rent there so next time I go I'll suggest that she rent it and see how it works for her.

They are fickle about ammo but not as bad as people make it out to be. I just use CCI Mini Mag's or something with a bit higher velocity then standard. It's all about how the gun is taken care of and finding what ammo types it likes.

I have large hands and have had no issue at all with the P22. I actually love it's ergonomics. I looked that the Buckmark and Ruger 22/45 but I hated the looks, ergonomics, and size.

I am sure she will love the gun. Let her try it out like you said and maybe even you try it out. It's a good and fun gun for it's price.

May 23, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #172 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by D1g1talV3n0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are fickle about ammo but not as bad as people make it out to be. I just use CCI Mini Mag's or something with a bit higher velocity then standard. It's all about how the gun is taken care of and finding what ammo types it likes.

I have large hands and have had no issue at all with the P22. I actually love it's ergonomics. I looked that the Buckmark and Ruger 22/45 but I hated the looks, ergonomics, and size.

I am sure she will love the gun. Let her try it out like you said and maybe even you try it out. It's a good and fun gun for it's price.

I guarentee if she rents it I'll demand at least 2 magazines worth...
tongue.gif

May 23, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #173 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only in my dreams. The guys with the real armories are too smart to post.

i tried to dig up a photo that occasionally finds its way to gunboards.. the guy who runs 7.62x54r.net snapped a photo of one of his gun rooms... and i would love to see a set of group photos of Karl-Heinz Wrobel's collection (the guy has some truly rare pieces stuff that on the rarity scale of 1-10 rates a 50 at least)

May 24, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #174 of 1,730
.22 LR Rimfire! The cartridge and the guns that shoot it may well establish the heart and soul of the tradition and practice of modern single projectile firearms and shooting. Ever since the first .22 lead ball was affixed to a percussion cap, creating the first low cost, low powered, low blast, low recoil single cartridged ammunition, the .22LR has been carving its place in shooters hearts. And what’s not to love? With bricks (500rds) of ammunition available in many different configurations costing from $25.00 to over $150.00, there is something for everyone. Capable is proper gun/ammunition combinations of extreme accuracy (or just something that goes “bang” a lot), these are cartridges and guns that have received much consideration. And when the brass falls on the ground, it’s ready to be recycled as scrap, not to begin another reloading cycle; a fact dear to the hearts of those of us who reload. Pure shooting fun!

NOTE: not ignored by Hollywood, the .22 pistol is their weapon of choice for the fictional master up close assassin. What they do ignore is the .22LR’s unsettling proclivity for the mis- and hangfire. Test your lot of .22LR well before you rely upon it!

3041320370_17900ed1e3_b.jpg

I have shown you three .22 rimfires already, 2 Ruger 10/22 variants and a Remington pump, and discussed their significant aspects. The top rifle here is a Kimber Model 82 .22LR left handed bolt wearing another Leupold 4.5-14x40 scope and a nylon shooting sling. This was the original Kimber of Oregon, not the present 1911A1-manufacturing one dominated by Brooklyn merchants who think they know more than John Moses Browning. It is very persnickety about its fodder, but with Federal Premium Ultra Match B or some Eley Tenex, it will shoot under a minute.

The left hand pistol in the middle row is a High Standard Supermatic Trophy with military frame. It’s got a 7.5” fluted barrel, wears a 2X Leupold LER scope, and has some custom Herrett target grips carved thirty years ago to fit my left hand. It was my graduation present from my parents in 1974 when I received my B.A. (bad attitude
eek.gif
). Twenty years ago, when it wore an old Aimpoint, I shot it to my first Expert classification in NRA bullseye competition.

The middle pistol in the middle row is a Daewoo Model DP52 .22LR wearing Pachmayr grip for a Walther PP. As you might imagine, it is a copy of the famous Walther PP and a good one at that. Accurate, ergometric, and reliable, this is the real deal and it warms my heart that the South Koreans in the later 80s found a need to make them. It beats the current crop of wannabee .22LR tactical pistols with a stick, as did its famous forebear. It cries out for a suppressor.

The right side pistol in the middle row is a Browning Challenger .22LR with six inch barrel and adjustable sights. It is a Belgian Browning and is representative of the original .22LR pistols like the Colt Woodsman/Huntsman that dominated the sportsman/woodsman market from the 1910s through the 1960s (and largely are no more). It has an excellent adjustable trigger and is both reliable and accurate. We have logged many miles together.

The bottom rifle is another Ruger 10/22 that started life as their high end sporting carbine when I bought it new for its MSRP of $79.95. It’s undergone some changes, now wearing a Butler Creek folding synthetic stock, a Clark fluted sixteen inch bull barrel, another Leupold 4.5-14x40 scope, and extended magazine release, and a Clark rigger kit and a nylon shooting sling. Proper use of an appropriate shooting sling can bring considerable steadiness to the field shooting positions. As with my other 10/22s, the receiver has been drilled to allow cleaning from the breach. Ruger 10/22s have a cult following with many accessories available; the ones I have installed are of the greatest practical use to me.

May 24, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #176 of 1,730
I used to have a nice Walther KK Match .22. Lay down with a box or two of Lapua and you could shoot aspirin at 100 yards with it.

I really like the Federal Gold match and the Lapua Midas stuff. It always worked better for me in the wind than the Eley Tenex.

May 24, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #177 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You pay 25 dollars for a brick of 22s? My official price limit is 12 dollars.

$25.00 a brick is $2.50 per box of fifty and will get you stuff that always goes bang and without so much velocity variance. On sale or at a gun show, you might find good stuff for $20.00 per brick. I shoot mostly standard velocity .22LR because it is significantly more accurate than high or hyper velocity stuff with weird bullet weights and shapes. It doesn't really matter how fast the bullet is going if it misses the target. The only really interesting firarms are accurate ones. I've paid up to $125.00 per brick, but some good Russian match for under $50.00 represents a more realistic point of diminishing returns. My usual system is to buy lots of .22LR when I find good stuff on sale, then store is in a cool dry place until I've forgotten how much I paid and then go out and really let 'er rip!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
blink.gif
wink.gif

May 24, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #178 of 1,730
Most of my 22 shooting is close range plinking where minute-of-beer can is good enough. If I want accuracy, I just go get a .223 or something. I have a pretty sweet 10/22 with laminated thumbhole stock, 16" fluted stainless barrel, red dot, and worked-over guts.

May 24, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #180 of 1,730
Yugoslavian M24

and not the insanely common postwar M24/47 either

Users who are viewing this thread

Back