Gun-Fi
May 26, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #196 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by D1g1talV3n0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't go with a HK. Are they good guns? Of course. Is the price warranted? Not if you ask me.

True, the additional money for an HK doesn't get you much but the name. (Unless it's a P7 of course.
icon10.gif
)

But, as a member of the "small hands, fat fingers" club, if it fits, it fits. I've spent a lot of money cycling through wondernines to find one that fits right and shoots well, and I'd be kicking myself if I passed over the right one just to save a few hundred bucks.

May 26, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #197 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, the additional money for an HK doesn't get you much but the name. (Unless it's a P7 of course.
icon10.gif
)

But, as a member of the "small hands, fat fingers" club, if it fits, it fits. I've spent a lot of money cycling through wondernines to find one that fits right and shoots well, and I'd be kicking myself if I passed over the right one just to save a few hundred bucks.

Another gun he could try is FN Herstal or Walther. Those MIGHT be a better choice for him and save him money also.

To the OP...

I am not a big fan of the 40. I stick with the 9mm and 10mm personally. One thing is go to a range and try out the guns you think you might like. Once you find the one you can shoot well, feels good, and is reliably buy that one.

May 26, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #199 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to get a lever action chambered in 44 magnum, any suggestions? Thanks.

I showed you my Winchester Model 94 Trapper, and to my mind that's the pick of the litter. I've also owned the Rossi copy of the Winchester Model 92 in .44Rem Mag and a Marlin Guide Gun in the same caliber, but they were not as accurate as the Trapper for me and I needed room in the safe.
biggrin.gif
For a Trapper in .44Rem Mag, you are going to have to hit gun shows (where I found mine), Shotgun News, or the guns classified in print or on line.

May 26, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #200 of 1,732
Im on the way to get my first rifle in my name,
Im 18 and have grown up around guns my entire life,
but dont have a rifle in my name yet.

Im getting a Marlin 17 hmr

May 26, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #201 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I showed you my Winchester Model 94 Trapper, and to my mind that's the pick of the litter. I've also owned the Rossi copy of the Winchester Model 92 in .44Rem Mag and a Marlin Guide Gun in the same caliber, but they were not as accurate as the Trapper for me and I needed room in the safe.
biggrin.gif
For a Trapper in .44Rem Mag, you are going to have to hit gun shows (where I found mine), Shotgun News, or the guns classified in print or on line.

Thanks, let the search start!
icon10.gif

May 26, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #202 of 1,732
At one point I had 21 Smith & Wesson revolvers but have sold off almost all of them since I don't really have anyone to leave them to and the prices they now fetch have just gone nuts.

I have lots of photos of them all. Here is a Model 27-2 .357, from 1975, a real classic.

27-deck.jpg

May 26, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #203 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoFiveOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have lots of photos of them all. Here is a Model 27-2 .357, from 1975, a real classic.

Those N frame S&Ws with pinned barrels, counterbored cylinders, old style hammers and good sights certainly are muy beautiful and desirable. One of the only guns that made full .357Rem Mag loads pleasant to shoot from a recoil standpoint. Back them I had a four inch Model 19, a 2 1/2 inch Model 66 and a six inch Model 66, but I always felt that K frames were too light for shooting a lot of .357Rem Mags.

868-6.jpg

This is my current six inch .357 Smith; a Model 686 with Pachmayr Grippers. It doesn't have pinned barrel or counterbored cylinder, but it was one of the first production L frames and was set up at the factory as a PPC gun. It's had its timing cleaned up, a single action rebound spring fitted, and the main spring boned out to lighten it. An excellent field revolver.

May 26, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #204 of 1,732
Weekend outing at Whittington...

dsc00643.jpg

Sighting in at the target range

camo1.jpg

One of my recent FN FAL builds. This one is mostly from STG Austrian parts with a nice desert camo finish

dsc00708.jpg

The Silhouette Range banging the 600 meter gongs

dsc00717.jpg

dsc00736.jpg

The high power range

splat4.jpg

Chasing the deer off one of the CQB ranges.

May 26, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #205 of 1,732
FN/FALs! Before there were ARs in .308, there were H&K 93s/G3s and M-14s. The FAL was not originally developed in 7.62x51/.308Win (a shortened .30-06 made possible by the development of ball powder), but was rapidly converted to that caliber after the U.S. Army force fed .308Win to NATO. The FAL was a better rifle than the M-14, especially in full auto, but it was Belgian made in the 1950s and politics are politics. Especially in the hands of the U.K. and the Commonwealth nations, it served throughout the Cold War. With the 7.62x51/.308Win you have actual antivehicle as well as antipersonnel capability; SAS bricks in Northern Ireland were having trouble stopping IRA vehicles with .223 rifles until they began to employ some Argentinian folding stock FALs seized in the Falklands. Problem solved.

3040483733_a639ac3165_b.jpg

Mine is a D. S. Arms model of the 1990s made up on their receiver largely of Steyr parts. I chose it over the H&K as its adjustable gas system has significantly less perceived recoil. It carries another Leupold 4.5-14X40 scope in a light alloy see through ring mount arrangement which allows simultaneous use of the iron sights. It's mostly fed ChiCom 7.62x51 military ammunition which does little to develop the rifle's accuracy potential. Off of bags, however, it will keep 3 round "hammers" on a 12 inch by 8 inch log target at 100 yards.

May 26, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #206 of 1,732
How much do you all think .22-250 with 40 grain bullets drifts in the wind? We were trying to nail a groundhog at 410 yards today, but there was a stiff gusting crossbreeze. We shot at it 6 times, and never did get it. Quite embarassing.

May 26, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #207 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much do you all think .22-250 with 40 grain bullets drifts in the wind? We were trying to nail a groundhog at 410 yards today, but there was a stiff gusting crossbreeze. We shot at it 6 times, and never did get it. Quite embarassing.

the .22-250 and the .220 swift are two rifles that I have always wanted to own but never set the money aside to do so.
mad.gif
Now with all my money going the music I do not see geting one in the near future. Furthermore living in Miami Beach there are not places to shoot beyond 25 meters.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

May 26, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #208 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoFiveOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At one point I had 21 Smith & Wesson revolvers but have sold off almost all of them since I don't really have anyone to leave them to and the prices they now fetch have just gone nuts.

27-deck.jpg

Now this is a piece that I have shot (not same gun of course
icon10.gif
) and it was such a pleasure. If you shoot 38 special loads is like shooting 22's (well almost)

May 27, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #209 of 1,732
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Answer: a lot. Can't tell you how much not knowing your muzzle velocity or the wind speed and direction, but short .223 bullets like that sacrifice a lot of ballistic coefficient, which is also a measure of bucking wind drift, for velocity. It's all a compromise. I shoot no bullets lighter than 55 grains in the .22-250. If you had 20-30MPH of direct crosswind across the 410 yards, you could very well be talking 30 or 40 inches of drift. Did you even see any ground impact dust?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back