Guitar Amp?.......
Jul 12, 2010 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

averagejose

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm quite new to all this, and i was wondering if a guitar amp could be used as a headphone amp? I thought it would work basically the same way a headphone amp does and having tried it i can notice a difference in sound. Thanks in advance 
smile_phones.gif

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 12
The function of guitar amps are mainly to colour the sound in a guitar way. Most electric guitar amps sound super mids heavy to give a growl to the sound and therefore do not function great as a head-fi amplifier. But if you like the sound, it can function as such, but it was not meant for high fidelity.

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 12
When you plug your headphones into the guitar amp, the amplification of your guitar amp speaker(cabinet) goes to your headphones. You can try it out, but probably wont be musically satisfying.

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 12
What amp you want depends on the headphones. If they're Grados don't worry about it too much, I haven't tried but people generally don't amp Grados or use relatively simple amps with them.

Jul 13, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #8 of 12
yah they are grado rs2, i was looking through the threads and the Schiit Asgard was about what im looking for. I'm gonna hold off on the amp for now but would the asgard be a good choice later on?

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 12
My old Boogie (Mesa Engineering 1978) had a jack you could use for phones.  As I recall it was nothing to get nuts over.

K

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #12 of 12
Yep, what Uncle Eric said is absolutely right. The main problem with guitar amps are that they are mono, and when used with headphones, they simulate as stereo; that way, imaging gets screwed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back