[GUIDE] How To Properly Dampen Your Beyerdynamic T1
Oct 15, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #227 of 234
Sounds and looks interesting--compared to the cost of these headphones, it seems like an inexpensive mod. I'm tempted to try it! Did you end up getting it?

No, I didn't get round to trying this mod. The T1's I owned sounded quite nice, it might be a useful mod for earlier examples.

Feb 28, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #230 of 234
Not many I guess. T1.2 sounds different than T1.1 no matter what damping material will be used. The deal will be with midrange, which is more distant and warm in T1.2 due to pads and slight changes in baffle material.

I've tested your modification on T1.2 and the result is very priomising, thank you for the idea. But unfortunately whole piece of cotton petal is affecting the sense of airness, making them sound slightly less three-dimentional by simply "closing" headphones that way. In some systems the most optimal way in my opinion is to use cotton petals with hole - the same way as Beyer used over the years with vide range of their DT series. You can tame a little resonating highs that way, keep airiness and warm midrange just a bit. The results and the whole point of using this modifications depends on owned gear. In some situations whole petals seems to work better, but still there is negative effect on soundstage and "magic" that T1 have. I think this is caused by messing with interior of the earcup itself. When it is empty, it works like acoustic deflector and WITH conjunction with driver. Those two elements works as a whole and I think it should be left in stock form or modified as secondary.

Since Beyerdynamic put a suppressor on central hole of the driver in T1.2, I would suggest to play with it. In both revisions. I made an "EvilKillaruna Mod". Before I've sorted things out, I've beet trying to put there Westone TrueFit with removed sleeve, then exchanged them for pieces of yellow ear plugs used for hearing safety. RCA caps can be used too if there is no other option available. The point was to completely close that hole in both drivers. It helped with excessive amount of highs without obvious negative effects (at least in T1.2). Still I missed some magic and sparkling together with holographic midrange however.

Then I tried to go back to Westone TrueFit, but this time WITH sleeve and much more shortened, to avoid closing the suppressor inside each driver completely. Each TrueFit was shortened to about 4mm height. With new T1 you can achive for now the best results with small Westone TrueFit tips with green (or blue after shortening) sleeves just inserted as they are directly into central hole of the driver. Blue and green TrueFits are the 1st and 2nd from upper row:

As I said before, it is good to shorten them to the point they won't make contact with mesh inside the central hole of the driver. With the first revision of T1 I would choose bigger black tips, because of bigger diameter of the hole in each driver. TrueFit should go inside the hole like this:

Effects: Midrange is now properly focused and highs are not pumped up so much, yet soundstage with holography and sparkling was kept mostly as it was before. No need for any damping material since Beyers drivers are tuned for using interior of the cup as acoustic deflector and this mod has probably proven that.

I am so far VERY happy with the results.

Tried this today. Bass is much more meaty, but less defined. Treble is tamed, but I am not sure wether there is unwanted reverb now. Mids are recessed. Did not like it.

I went with the half circle on the opposite side of the drivers (thick, 4mm felt) and a round shape smaller piece directly under the driver (2,5mm). Use the little suqare markings for alignment.

The headphones are still bright but slightly tamed. I like them much better now. Maybe that's a good middle ground for both gaming and music.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #232 of 234
I think you should try get the 880 damping rings.

Sep 11, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #233 of 234
Uhh, sorry if this has already been asked but has anyone attempted to do basically the SDR mod (HD800) to a pair of T1??? Looking at a video of the drivers (T1), they have a similar ~ 1/2" tube that's METAL in this case (super reflective acoustically)

Note - 1/2" = 1/4 wavelenght of 6K roughly... I'm totally guessing on that 1/2" though, it's a video, not in person. I haven't actually measured the diameter of that tube/opening.

Nov 21, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #234 of 234
LOL.
biggrin.gif

Another idea that I have just successfully tested out. Why no one figured it before?
I have ordered replacement pads for T1 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=770460&Q=&is=REG&A=details
They are using the same pads as DT880/990 just black in color. And they came in with acoustic foam dampening disks, which go on the top of the driver on DT880/990.
Well, just threw them in and yep, treble spikes are smoothed out, but the impact is minimal, I found even creatology foam I used before was too much.
Works the same way as cover on speakers.
You would need to take off plastic ring and install it under it, basically follow the instruction that comes with the pads. No need to mod phones internally.
L3000.gif

Having read this post by Andrew, I decided to do just that.

I ordered the following direct from Beyerdynamic, they are an improved version with a black front and grey back:

PXL_20231116_0921567251.jpg

Here's the plastic ring bracket holder removed:

PXL_20231116_092420110.jpg

Here's the foam disk inserted:

PXL_20231116_092438551.jpg

....and the bracket back on:

PXL_20231116_092530940.MP.jpg

I can confirm the headphones are less fatiguing across all genres of music, listening times extended. Well worth the mod. Thanks for the tip, Andrew.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back