[GUIDE] How To Properly Dampen Your Beyerdynamic T1
Aug 14, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #212 of 234
I just removed my last experiment. I had 3 adjusted sizes, but with the T1, I prefer the original sound, even though the highs are too much sometimes. Maybe it's me, but it sounded dull.

On the other hand I’m happy with the Anaxilus modded HD800 for over a year.

Aug 16, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #213 of 234
I think I might have the perfect mod for people who want to tame the T1's highs just a touch without losing the air and space that makes the T1s so wonderful. This mod involves the use of dense, but soft adhesive foam that I originally received as part of so car audio gear. It's Nitto brand No. 500, but that's all I know. It's basically like memory foam, is self-adhesive and about 4mm thick.

The mod is very simple.
  • Cut 8 small cubes of the foam roughly 4 x 4 x 4mm (don't need to be exact)
  • Open your T1s and stick 4 of the cubes in the cup at roughly the 2:30, 4:30, 7:30 and 10:30 positions (if the cable entry is at the 6 o'clock position)
  • Close your T1s and enjoy stellar sound without treble peaks, but still with lots of air and transparency

@Aeolus Kratos has also tried the mod so he might be willing to share some impressions here and I am helping another local Head-Fier with it soon so will get his opinions as well if possible

Here are a few pics:

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #214 of 234
Can anyone recommend any tracks that really reveal this treble issue?  To be honest, i haven't been able to tell that there is an issue with my T1's, mostly just curious at this point.

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #215 of 234
  Can anyone recommend any tracks that really reveal this treble issue?  To be honest, i haven't been able to tell that there is an issue with my T1's, mostly just curious at this point.

If it ain' broken... 
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #216 of 234

It can also be a case of sources and synergy, or of our ears all being slightly different

Aug 16, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #217 of 234
Often is the fact that as everyone has different ears eg we listen to the same things in a different way, so sometimes our "sensitive" areas to peaks above 4-5k and beyond are not where the heaphone "tingles" the most. On the other hand, a nice balanced system just sounds right! With age and as our hearing deteriorates we become less and less sentive to sibilance and treble peaks.

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #218 of 234
Just complted some mods from the last couple of pages, and it really fixed the issue for me:

1. Using a compass, I cut circles of creatology foam to cover the black plastic circle on inside of the cup.

2. I put the foam coverings from a pair of DT990 pads on with the T1 pads.

No more treble issues. Fuller bass annd warmer mids. More natural timbre. Zero loss of detail and soundstage compared to stock. I'm loving the t1 now!

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #219 of 234
I would like to thank everyone on this thread for their many creative ideas. Wow, you guys have left no felt unturned!

I finally broke down and bought a pair of T1's after longing for them for the past couple of years. My reference phones have been the LCD2 v1 and for the past year the HE 560's. I also have the PS500's and owned the DT880-600 for a while. Although I liked the DT880's I thought they lacked some transparancy and detail compared to my other phones. Nice and smooth with great imaging but kind of boring. Well, I was expecting a similarly balanced but more detailed sound with the T1 but I immediately noticed the hot treble peak which made female voices sound very unnatural. I listened to them for about a half an hour before I was over it and decided that something had to be done.

So here goes my own mod which I call the "It Ain't Rocket Science Mod". (No offence to all you tweakers)

Go down to your local pharmacy and pick up some cotton face wipes from the cosmetic isle. They come packed in a plastic tube for a couple of bucks and are round and flat and less dense than felt. I simply put one pad against the back of each cup. They tend to puff up and get thicker so they stay in place pretty well. They soak up standing waves and other resonances and do not over damp the sound, IMO.

The results: Aaaaahhhhhh, that's more like it. Pretty much what you guys have been saying about your felt mods. The treble peak is greatly reduced, voices are much more natural, sound is better focused without all of the cavity resonances coloring the sound.

IMO the T1's are potentially one of the worlds best headphones but are flawed in stock form. How many of you guys want to bet that your damped T1's sound darn close to the new T1 rev2's?

I now prefer the T1's over the HE 560's. The T1's still have a bit of brilliance in the treble but they sound so focused and detailed and exciting that I am really hooked. Actually, I think they are more fun than stock since you can now turn up the volume without that peak driving you up the wall.

After listening for a while I may try some of your felt mods as, frankly, I think that they could still use a bit more damping but I could easily live with them the way they are. In stock form they would already be up for sale.

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #220 of 234
  How many of you guys want to bet that your damped T1's sound darn close to the new T1 rev2's?

Not many I guess. T1.2 sounds different than T1.1 no matter what damping material will be used. The deal will be with midrange, which is more distant and warm in T1.2 due to pads and slight changes in baffle material.

I've tested your modification on T1.2 and the result is very priomising, thank you for the idea. But unfortunately whole piece of cotton petal is affecting the sense of airness, making them sound slightly less three-dimentional by simply "closing" headphones that way. In some systems the most optimal way in my opinion is to use cotton petals with hole - the same way as Beyer used over the years with vide range of their DT series. You can tame a little resonating highs that way, keep airiness and warm midrange just a bit. The results and the whole point of using this modifications depends on owned gear. In some situations whole petals seems to work better, but still there is negative effect on soundstage and "magic" that T1 have. I think this is caused by messing with interior of the earcup itself. When it is empty, it works like acoustic deflector and WITH conjunction with driver. Those two elements works as a whole and I think it should be left in stock form or modified as secondary.

Since Beyerdynamic put a suppressor on central hole of the driver in T1.2, I would suggest to play with it. In both revisions. I made an "EvilKillaruna Mod". Before I've sorted things out, I've beet trying to put there Westone TrueFit with removed sleeve, then exchanged them for pieces of yellow ear plugs used for hearing safety. RCA caps can be used too if there is no other option available. The point was to completely close that hole in both drivers. It helped with excessive amount of highs without obvious negative effects (at least in T1.2). Still I missed some magic and sparkling together with holographic midrange however.

Then I tried to go back to Westone TrueFit, but this time WITH sleeve and much more shortened, to avoid closing the suppressor inside each driver completely. Each TrueFit was shortened to about 4mm height. With new T1 you can achive for now the best results with small Westone TrueFit tips with green (or blue after shortening) sleeves just inserted as they are directly into central hole of the driver. Blue and green TrueFits are the 1st and 2nd from upper row:

As I said before, it is good to shorten them to the point they won't make contact with mesh inside the central hole of the driver. With the first revision of T1 I would choose bigger black tips, because of bigger diameter of the hole in each driver. TrueFit should go inside the hole like this:

Effects: Midrange is now properly focused and highs are not pumped up so much, yet soundstage with holography and sparkling was kept mostly as it was before. No need for any damping material since Beyers drivers are tuned for using interior of the cup as acoustic deflector and this mod has probably proven that.

I am so far VERY happy with the results.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #221 of 234
Hi 

I have tried this mod on my T1 (1st generation) with black tips and i think it works! Not sure as i did not test long enough and its hard to compare but i think it smooths out highs. I think they sound little warmer with more low end.
I could be wrong.
Need to test more with and without mod. Thank you.

I have one question about T1. 
Does anyone know how to take apart slider assy? How to disassemble headband?
Mine is very loose to the point that its self "adjusting" when i pickup headphones. 
frown.gif

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #222 of 234
Hey T1 Head-fiers,
I'm kind of new in HighResolution audio with Hi-Fi headphones. I have one T1 v1 without mods, and I want to add detachable cable into my T1s. I checked some threads about that, but I haven't seem any sharing about what stuff would be needed to add detachable cable mod into T1s. I want to have mini xlr cables from headphone to dual 3.5 mm to amp balaced input, headphone input might be different than mini xlr. Do you guys have any suggestion? By the way, I know Peterek can do that, but I'm looking for cheaper option with the same results.
Thank you

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #223 of 234
... I think I might have the perfect mod for people who want to tame the T1's highs just a touch without losing the air and space that makes the T1s so wonderful. This mod involves the use of dense, but soft adhesive foam...  

So I had a an interesting walk-through of this thread and it's quite impressive what you T1.1 guys have come up with to improve your T1s!!!
beerchug.gif

@Loquah's latest mod really got my attention and here's why... !

I actually own T5p.2s which differ in a few ways from the T1 (impedance, open vs. closed, ...) but the things in common AFAIK include the general cup design and of course, the Telsa transducers.
Long-story-short, a fellow T5p.2 owner was unhappy with them because as a former T5p.1 owner, he felt that Beyerdynamic had over did it with the dampening... . So he tore his T5p.2s open to investigate. He didn't take any photos of his activities but basically he found something similar to a plastic tab connected to the center of the cup covered by a piece of rubber. It was clear to him that this tab was intended to connected to the driver as some sort of dampening mechanism.

I personally also feel that the T5p.2 is missing a bit of sparkle however I have no real experience (outside of a long testing session) with any of the other Ts. So while I wasn't ready to mod my brand new T5p.2s I wanted to see for myself what was going on and I grabbed a shots of Beyerdynamic's own "mod"
beyersmile.png
and here are some photos I took while surveying the area...

30684597136_f3a5d56f55_c.jpg

From the above image we clearly see the tab centered on the cup. The tab is made of plastic and a rubber "pad" is glued to it...
30602203872_8b24f59b4c_c.jpg

Being in the center of the cup, the tab makes contact with the driver in a "random" spot on the back-plate.
I would never have made that assumption but I just got (un)lucky that the pad portion got stuck to the driver when I opened the (first) can...
30086713193_8f41308a66_c.jpg

And maybe the next "mod" from Beyerdynamic is the filler / pad / whathaveyou that can be seen here just behind the so-called "suppressor"?
30630639501_5ba3e61e7f_c.jpg

So I'm just the "camera man" in this little story and I'm here to ask you dampening pros what the purpose of the above mods are, in your humble opinions.
Regarding the tab, my guess is that Beyerdynamic is using the weight and stability of the backplate / transducer assembly to stabilize the cup and in doing so, "dampen" the cup's own resonance.
As for the "suppressor", I have no idea. Given the fact that @EvilKillaruna plugged his with a tip I assume it is some form of dampening system for the driver itself (and not the cup?) I don't know why the backplate / ring-assembly would need it but hey, that's why I'm here... to learn
wink.gif

Finally there's the padding / filter just behind it. I have seen many photos of the original T1 (and less of the T1.2) but none that show what's behind that suppressor, so I don't really know if it is included in all versions of the T1s / T5ps... but you guys, having opened your T1s multiple times may be able to answer that - at least in terms of the T1.1...
smile.gif

Finally, using the "classification" below, how would you grade beyerdynamic's efforts with the T5p.2?

... (Originally Posted by AstralStorm)
Too much damping = reduced compliance = higher resonant frequency = treble + extreme highs rolloff. Also reduced efficiency which can also lead to bass drop.
No damping = ringing in small cavity = peaky treble.
Hard damping boundary = edge effects = time domain smearing = long decay, usually in mids/highs.

Thanks for your time and your insight, gents
beerchug.gif

Addendum
It would appear that despite all these tricks up Beyerdyanmic's sleeve, the T5p.2 still has that same ~8K spike that you have apparently been able to tame with your mods...

Recent measurement (Butterworth - Soundstage.com)
fr_lr_700h.gif

beerchug.gif

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #224 of 234
Hi,i bought T1 baffles with drivers and i am going to build T1s using some beyer parts i am going to machine earcups can somebody please answer measurements on picture ?

https://imageshack.com/i/poXyoM1ej

Users who are viewing this thread

Back