[GUIDE] How To Properly Dampen Your Beyerdynamic T1
Jun 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #61 of 234
Also do you still have it like this? Going all the way around.

Or have you done something like this?

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #62 of 234
Jun 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #63 of 234
Good to know. Thanks.

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #64 of 234
Subscribing

I love the T1, and I really like how it pairs with the OTL Woo WA3. But occasionally I still find the treble a little 'hot,' usually with less than stellar recordings/masterings. I'm debating going for this procedure...

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #65 of 234
Quote:
Subscribing

I love the T1, and I really like how it pairs with the OTL Woo WA3. But occasionally I still find the treble a little 'hot,' usually with less than stellar recordings/masterings. I'm debating going for this procedure...

I think it helps but you must remember one thing. The more revealing your system is the less forgiving it is of bad recordings i don't think you can have it both ways. Think of this mod more allong the lines of evening out the frequency response.

Found some other felt and i get the impression that the softer it is the better the effect is on dampening. Think i'm pretty close to how i like it now but getting it perfect is very tricky and something that may take a while.

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #66 of 234
Yes it does take some trail and error. Especially since everyone is probably
getting different felts and felt thicknesses. But so far it seems we all agree
that some thin felt in front of the driver in that area across from it is definately
helpfull. Improving the soundstaging.

It's here under the driver that is most sensative to the sound and that's
where you need to experiment. I have just a small 2cm x 2cm square of
material whereas Zombie_X has the whole area felted. So experiment and
see what works here.

So experiment and have fun. My headphones sound awesome right now
gs1000.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #67 of 234
Yes the improvement is quite noticeable! I find myself listening to a higher volume now because the peak is pretty much flattened out. Really balances it out quite nicely. 

I have a thicker piece in front of the driver and a thinner piece under it atm, guess i can swap it later on and see how that sounds. Never had it fully dampened so to speak but yeah i like it. Was considering some other headphones or even another dac but frankly i think it's good now though i must i say a new dac is tempting 
beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #68 of 234

My hardcore T1 mod...  applied felts as per the topic here, but i added some ASI Sugar Cubes (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/acousticsystem4/sugar.html) directly behind the drivers.. had to sand down the cubes and fiddled them a lot (position, not much space inside T1, and individual cube rotations).. it was not easy i got to say... but i'm happy with the final sound..

the felts did what most were said here.. smoothened out the treble spike, reduce echoes and added a bit of warmth.. the Sugar cubes widen the soundstage, yet focused the mids(vocals) in the center.. the combo of both felts and cubes is good.. me and a few friends compared mine to a stock T1, there's definite improvement.. more texture, fuller sound, wider yet focused soundstage, less harsh sensitive highs.. good mod indeed.. 

OFF-TOPIC: My friends and I applied the ASI cubes to He-500, LCD-3 and PS1000... LCD-3 and HE-500 have a bigger effect cause reliant heavier on air... this mod should be looked into.. :)

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #69 of 234
WOW!! Insanity man!

I'll look into that for sure. 

Isn't it funny how something as a cheap piece f felt can alter the sound so much, and even improve it? With the mod, the spike that bothered so many has no fully vanished. Maybe beyer should add some felt behind the driver on their revision of the T1?

Quote:

My hardcore T1 mod...  applied felts as per the topic here, but i added some ASI Sugar Cubes (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/acousticsystem4/sugar.html) directly behind the drivers.. had to sand down the cubes and fiddled them a lot (position, not much space inside T1, and individual cube rotations).. it was not easy i got to say... but i'm happy with the final sound..

the felts did what most were said here.. smoothened out the treble spike, reduce echoes and added a bit of warmth.. the Sugar cubes widen the soundstage, yet focused the mids(vocals) in the center.. the combo of both felts and cubes is good.. me and a few friends compared mine to a stock T1, there's definite improvement.. more texture, fuller sound, wider yet focused soundstage, less harsh sensitive highs.. good mod indeed.. 

OFF-TOPIC: My friends and I applied the ASI cubes to He-500, LCD-3 and PS1000... LCD-3 and HE-500 have a bigger effect cause reliant heavier on air... this mod should be looked into.. :)

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #70 of 234
Very interesting!

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #71 of 234
By the way I was searching and could not find where to buy those. Where did you get them?

Jun 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #72 of 234
the sugar cubes are more for room treatment... you should be able to find them at any local audiophile hi-fi shop... :) 

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #73 of 234
Hi all,

of all the felts I have tried on my T1, the est is the felt I bought from Amazon. It yields the best results out of them all plus the soundstage stays nice and open. This is awesome! Even some 1/8" or 1/16" felt from ebay is the way to go. Just make sure you have the self adhering kind.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #74 of 234
Quote:
Maybe beyer should add some felt behind the driver on their revision of the T1?

You mean like they did w/ the DT880?  
cool.gif

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #75 of 234
Hey thanks. I will try and check these out.

Quote:
the sugar cubes are more for room treatment... you should be able to find them at any local audiophile hi-fi shop... :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back