GTA Spring 2016 meet
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #76 of 144
UPDATES:
- First post with the Attendance list
- The meet will officially start at 12pm (noon) and it runs until 6pm - I will be organizing the room and getting things up from 11:30am until around 1pm anyway, so you should just do your own thing while this is going on!  If you come early, I will be telling you to move  the furniture for the meet. Easy :wink:
- The regulars know what's up. For the new guys - if you show up before 1pm, we will probably still be organizing the room and you will be asked to help out! This usually takes until around 1pm as the room is quite large and has some specific table placements with the power jacks.

If you're bringing a system, bring a power cord! The average room configuration allows for 6 full tables with power jacks and 1-2 tables in the middle, plus 4 chairs around the middle and that's mostly it.

Quote:, 
  Hi Pavel,
I'm really sorry but I can't make it to this one :frowning2:  
On a positive note, I can't make it because it's my birthday so I have plans with family!
One of these meets I'll actually make it - I swear!!
P.S. The cable is working great.

Your awesomeness will be missed! We all know that there are a few handfuls of people that are very active in the meets and you're one of them, so I always love to have you around. Maybe next time buddy! I'm sorry to hear that you won't be there buddy.  You do now you can always send me a text and we'll have a listening session, plus I'm trying to get my telescope set up again. :)

Quote:
Looking forward to the 28th! The SRA-3S has been restored to working condition and has one Pro and one Normal bias, so it's good with pretty much any Lambda!

Special request - will anyone be bringing a KGSSHV? (Or even a KGSS?) I have been wanting to hear one with my 007 mk1 for a few years now but never had the opportunity. Indeed I've had such fit issues with the 007s that a KGSSHV demo is all I need to know if I'll keep them or get rid of them!

I'm looking forward to it buddy! :) If you have the 007s, I'm your automatic friend that will be asking to spend time with these as I really think they're my favourite across the board. I seriously hope there will be multiple high end Stax at this meet - @oogabooga,@charliex,  
I can't say off the top of my head, but I know some people might have a KGSS, or maybe the KGSSHV, which I also REALLY would love to hear too! :)

If you're thinking of getting rid of the SR007 MK1, we should talk, I am a fan of the SR007 MK2 as honestly my favourite headphone overall, like hands down, all headphones in the world. You might be able to sell me on the MK1 with a trade as I would have to make an electrostatic amp for them. :wink:

May 18, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #77 of 144
Cool stuff.

I'm super busy, as always....
That's it, it's rescheduled to the 28th!

We are rescheduling the meet to Saturday May 28th. ...
As the last time, we will also have Head-Fi and real name tags for entry into the event. You will not be allowed in without this!

Pavel and all,

I logged in today to say that I would missed the May 21 meeting due to a conflict with a river canoe trip down the Madawaska BUT it looks like the week delay will be open so add me to the list of attendees.

It be nice to make up cards describing the equipment stationed at each table in addition to the name tags for those who peruse the pics, afterwards....especially if you cannot
Make the meet. Last, Pavel could you list the various builds (3.5mm male , wire type, rca male plug make description) in 3 foot length you could put together for about $30. You described this to me at the previous meet but I forgot the details. Thanks,

Ray

May 18, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #78 of 144
Cool idea for those bringing gear to make up a spec sheet of some sort to describe the gear. I'll bring the Audinst product sheet for my DAC and the specs on my AKG K 240s.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

May 20, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #79 of 144
Last, Pavel could you list the various builds (3.5mm male , wire type, rca male plug make description) in 3 foot length you could put together for about $30. You described this to me at the previous meet but I forgot the details. Thanks,
Ray

Buddy, I will have my work station around, but I don't know if I could build you a custom cable for $30... I will have some parts around and could build a cable for anyone who asks.

How about a cable building session for the attendees?

Do people want a demonstration to building custom cables? I have a big bag of RCA plugs, maybe 10 pairs, and a huge spool of wire. Would you guys enjoy a session in braiding cables, using a DMM (Digital MultiMeter) and building your own cables? I think I can arrange a free lesson for anyone interested. It will cost me little and if you are already here and donated a little for the hosting of this meet, I'd gladly show you what's involved in making custom cables. :)

May 20, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #80 of 144
Buddy, I will have my work station around, but I don't know if I could build you a custom cable for $30... I will have some parts around and could build a cable for anyone who asks.

Do people want a demonstration to building custom cables? I have a big bag of RCA plugs, maybe 10 pairs, and a huge spool of wire. Would you guys enjoy a session in braiding cables, using a DMM (Digital MultiMeter) and building your own cables? I think I can arrange a free lesson for anyone interested. It will cost me little and if you are already here and donated a little for the hosting of this meet, I'd gladly show you what's involved in making custom cables. :)

I could give you a hand with the soldering lessons (worked on a hand PCB assembly line one summer). I had actually narrowed down the rca plugs to those made by canare and/or switchcraft. All ears to cable recommendations and 3.5mm (1/8") connector. Bringing down the raw components works for me as I rather do the soldering myself.

I am still on board to diagnosing/troubleshooting those intermittent amps and will bring down a single channel scope. Again, a schematic would be useful.

cheers,
Ray

May 20, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #81 of 144
 Lots of great ideas!

Quote:

I can also help out with the cable making lesson. Let me know if you want me to bring some gear.

Cool idea for those bringing gear to make up a spec sheet of some sort to describe the gear. I'll bring the Audinst product sheet for my DAC and the specs on my AKG K 240s.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I'll bring specsheets and measurements for my gear.

May 20, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #82 of 144
I'd like to come I could bring my dslr to take some photos/video.

I have hd800's but can't use them because I broke the stock cable and my balanced stefan art. Would be nice if I could get those cables repaired. I most likely need new connectors.

hd600's that I just bare wired with sponge holding them in place.

Audio-GD 10.32 es2 xlr amp/dac
Audio-GD compass original dac/amp/preamp

May 20, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #83 of 144
Hey guys, 

I'm pretty new here, just recently discovered the world of headfi. I was wondering what would be the requirements in attending the meet?
I live close by (Yorkdale area) so I'm willing to help in any way. As far as gears go, only gotten my hands on a modi/magni stack, an HD600, HD530 and an AKG k141.
Would really love to hear other gears before upgrading further. Let me know please?

May 21, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #85 of 144
I actually can't make it on the 28th 
frown.gif

Have fun and please post pictures!

May 22, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #86 of 144
  Hey guys, 

I'm pretty new here, just recently discovered the world of headfi. I was wondering what would be the requirements in attending the meet?
I live close by (Yorkdale area) so I'm willing to help in any way. As far as gears go, only gotten my hands on a modi/magni stack, an HD600, HD530 and an AKG k141.
Would really love to hear other gears before upgrading further. Let me know please?

The only requirement of attending is being a Head-Fi member and following the simple rules in the first post.

I could give you a hand with the soldering lessons (worked on a hand PCB assembly line one summer). I had actually narrowed down the rca plugs to those made by canare and/or switchcraft. All ears to cable recommendations and 3.5mm (1/8") connector. Bringing down the raw components works for me as I rather do the soldering myself.

I am still on board to diagnosing/troubleshooting those intermittent amps and will bring down a single channel scope. Again, a schematic would be useful.

cheers,
Ray

I actually don't like either Canare or Switchcraft RCAs. Amphenol makes really good ones though. In terms of 3.5mm, Neutrik makes good ones that are super easy to work with. Switchcraft looks better and are somewhat beefier, but aren't as easy to work with.

May 24, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #87 of 144
I am excited about attending and thrilled to hear offers of advice on cables and soldering and the like. so thanks.
A friend of mine built a homemade portable headphone amp in the early 1990's for me. His products eventually were sold through Bay Bloor Radio once they figured out why anyone might want one. But a little connection is loose.

May 24, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #89 of 144
It looks almost identical but powered by 2 AAs. Has a small red indicator beside the power switch indicating "on'
ty

It friggen rocks. My Grados don't really need an amp but I hear a huge benefit.

May 25, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #90 of 144
Hey guys – so far so good.  Outstanding weather, and health is holding up, finished with radiation treatments and looking forward to the meet.  As I mentioned earlier I’m planning on bringing electrostatic gear this time (note: the plural of gear is gear (not gears) - once a teacher always a teacher)
If you have any dynamic requests from my profile just let me know.
Hoping that I can bring my ‘broken’ Stax SRM-T1 and my ‘broken’ Headroom Maxed Out Home Headphone Amplifier and someone at the meet can troubleshoot my amps for channel issues.
See y’all on Saturday.   Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back