GTA Spring 2016 meet
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #31 of 144
As part of Team Stax (and Team Guelph), I will bring my SRM-323S, SR-007, SR-Lambda Pro, and SR-Lambda NB, along with a Concero and gamma 2 DAC. 

Right now my SRA-3S sounds pretty bad. Can anyone *cough*charliex*cough* be persuaded to bring along their normal-bias Stax amp? I've never heard these cans on a decent amp! (on the same note, I'm in the market for a NB amp :wink:)
Also looking forward to hearing what the KGSS is all about :)

I missed my chance to hear the Stax setup at the last meet. About a year ago, I had narrowed my DAC down to the Concerto unit using the Sabre chip set. I ended up going for the poor man's version via the Audioquest Dragonfly ( version 2) but found it edgy soundwise. I hope the Cavalli headamp returns and CharlieX.

P.S. The 3E prototype is now in a "nice box".... Pictures to follow in a couple of weeks. Thanks again to Pavel.

Ray

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #32 of 144
  As part of Team Stax (and Team Guelph), I will bring my SRM-323S, SR-007, SR-Lambda Pro, and SR-Lambda NB, along with a Concero and gamma 2 DAC. 

Right now my SRA-3S sounds pretty bad. Can anyone *cough*charliex*cough* be persuaded to bring along their normal-bias Stax amp? I've never heard these cans on a decent amp! (on the same note, I'm in the market for a NB amp :wink:)
Also looking forward to hearing what the KGSS is all about :)

Hey my friend - I was planing on bringing just my Stax gear (or most of it) to the meet this time.  Unfortunately I have been having amp problems recently (my favorite dynamic amp the Headroom Maxed Out Home Headphone Amp is having channel issues) and more importantly, my Stax SRM T-1 with normal bias is also giving me issues - anyone out there that can do both dynamic and/or electrostatic amp repairs?
However, i terms of 'normal-bias' amps, I can bring my Stax SRM-1/Mk-2 amp and possibly my eXstatA amp, both with normal bias.  Not yet ready to bring my KGSS, but I understad there may be one coming.
Look forward to seeing you there.
o2smile.gif

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #33 of 144

Oooof - that's a lot of amp pain! Do you think it could be the tubes on the SRM-T1? If so, and you don't have any, we could try out the 6FQ7 tubes I have sitting in my SRA-3S. Just let me know!

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #34 of 144

Oooof - that's a lot of amp pain! Do you think it could be the tubes on the SRM-T1? If so, and you don't have any, we could try out the 6FQ7 tubes I have sitting in my SRA-3S. Just let me know!

Hmm.. might just be a tube issue and I have no way of testing tubes - so yes, let's try out the 6FQ7 tubes if possible - thanks !

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #35 of 144
Unfortunately, I'm likely going to be out for this one. My wife and I are expecting our first child in mid-May, so this is likely to be bad timing!

Too bad, after our last meet, I took the plunge and purchased my first set of high-end IEM's (JH Angie v1) - at least for now, I'm done with the headphone purchase: Ether C's for at home, and JH Angie's for on-the-go!

Have fun all!

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #37 of 144
  Congratulations! On both the child and the Angies.

Thanks - btw, I bought them at Headfoneshop, and Charles and I had a good discussion. I auditioned the Angie v1s and the new Rosies for about 3 hours before pulling the trigger on the Angies. We were talking cables and he mentioned you, and I remembered we had talked about your cables at Headfoneshop a few meets ago.

I described you as the "guy with the HD800s and the Bottlehead Crack who makes awesome cables"
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #38 of 144
   Hey my friend - I was planing on bringing just my Stax gear (or most of it) to the meet this time.  Unfortunately I have been having amp problems recently (my favorite dynamic amp the Headroom Maxed Out Home Headphone Amp is having channel issues) and more importantly, my Stax SRM T-1 with normal bias is also giving me issues - anyone out there that can do both dynamic and/or electrostatic amp repairs?
However, i terms of 'normal-bias' amps, I can bring my Stax SRM-1/Mk-2 amp and possibly my eXstatA amp, both with normal bias.  Not yet ready to bring my KGSS, but I understad there may be one coming.
Look forward to seeing you there.:o2smile:

Hi Charlie,
Bring down your gear and I can bring down some audio test signals and a scope to see if it is anything obvious.
I can pretty much sort out anything with transistors providing that a schematic is available. I had a look at a schematic for a Stax SRA-10S and it seems pretty straightforward but do not know how similar it is to the SRM-T1 (whose schematic I could not find). Send me a PM and maybe we can sort out a few more things over the phone before the meet.

Ray

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #39 of 144
Bringing some gear like a scope and a multimeter would probably be great, we had some repairs to do last time.

Can I propose something interesting? I know the last time there was literally no periods of total silence; what if every half-hour or hour there's just a few minute time slot when there's no talking, just listening in silence? So that we can get good listens with this ultra-precise gear! Anyone agree?

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #40 of 144
sold my hp-4a, modded my ether c, got a sony haps1b and have a senn 580 and possibly new tubes for my wa6 incoming, bringing all that schiit to the meet.

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #41 of 144
  Bringing some gear like a scope and a multimeter would probably be great, we had some repairs to do last time.

Can I propose something interesting? I know the last time there was literally no periods of total silence; what if every half-hour or hour there's just a few minute time slot when there's no talking, just listening in silence? So that we can get good listens with this ultra-precise gear! Anyone agree?

If I don't forget, I will bring my Fluke 177 with me.

I also like your suggestion of a few minutes 'quiet' time. Stax let in tons of outside noise!

Apr 15, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #43 of 144
Don't know if anyone saw this, but there's a SoundMagic/Fiio event on the 23rd in Richmond Hill.

Relevant to anyone in this thread, I suppose:

Quote:

Nexus International and Summit Hi-Fi are excited to host our first ever pop-up shop and listening event. Come try some awesome headphones and earphones from SoundMAGIC. Also available are gear from such brands as FiiO, Emotiva, and ELAC.

On top of getting to demo some gear, it is a great opportunity to meet other audiophiles, win door prizes, and get access to some great show specials.

We’ll be in both the Buttonville and Unionville rooms at the Sheraton Parkway Richmond Hill on Saturday April 23, 2016 from 11am-4pm.

Sheraton Parkway Hotel:
9005 Leslie St, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 1B2
11am-4pm

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #44 of 144
Don't know if anyone saw this, but there's a SoundMagic/Fiio event on the 23rd in Richmond Hill.

Relevant to anyone in this thread, I suppose:

Quote:

Nexus International and Summit Hi-Fi are excited to host our first ever pop-up shop and listening event. Come try some awesome headphones and earphones from SoundMAGIC. Also available are gear from such brands as FiiO, Emotiva, and ELAC.

On top of getting to demo some gear, it is a great opportunity to meet other audiophiles, win door prizes, and get access to some great show specials.

We’ll be in both the Buttonville and Unionville rooms at the Sheraton Parkway Richmond Hill on Saturday April 23, 2016 from 11am-4pm.

Sheraton Parkway Hotel:
9005 Leslie St, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 1B2
11am-4pm

holy schiit that's like 10 minutes away from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back