GS1000 First impressions
Oct 10, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #46 of 156
Not me. Those were on my wish list until I have heard them. I would buy them, not directly, but maybe later on if they were right to my taste.
wink.gif

It could be that people are simply pissed off at the price
biggrin.gif
I'm sure the HE-90 and R10 sucks too when you factor the price in.[/QUOTE]

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #47 of 156
I hope I can score another GS cheap on the FS to have a second BD Version with a low s/n soon for my girl, that would be
cool.gif
!

The GS is perhaps the most sensitive to source/amp phones and especially considering what is still available today still for sale new atop the Dynamic market.

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #48 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore
I think what John wants is to compromise with everything in one time, but unfortunately he made one mistake. En that is: What about Grado sound fans? You just can not push people like this and say, well my live is different now so the phones must to. It is like with some musicians. They have a huge group of fans and then after many years you don't see them anymore. Or even worse, they make some kind of "different" music, yeah right…

On this side note, you and I couldn't disagree more on the "responsibility" of an artist to their public (and the lack in reverse) and playing the same music over and over again. Blackmore, I know that was just a toss off line, but isn't this just a bit of a sense of entitlement and certainly far from artistic exploration? As for the comparison to Grado Labs, remember the RS1s, etc. are still available. Nothing has been displaced. No one has been "pushed" to a new sound (Is this that entitlement thing again? We deserve a better RS1 before anything else?). Arguably though (maybe where you and I meet), if this is the epitome of sound in John Grado's mind, maybe he will consider rolling the signiture back into the other models.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #49 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Well said. I find it suspect that people with 100% negatives about the GS-1000 seem to keep reading and have such an interest in the GS-1000 topic while Markl, Zanth, and Jude - not to mention John himself who designed the RS-1 seemed to think these compare to the top headphones out there.

It's no more suspect than having the same group of people that show up in every thread praising the GS-1000. Just because your on the praising side that doesn't mean we shouldn't have people stating their dislike of them nor does it make their opinions any less valid.

Oct 10, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #50 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Over generalization. You can use an external DAC with a PC based system. And there are DACs that sound just as good as the best CDPs.

He was referring to my system, Audio Mirror DAC2 (moddified DAC-AH) and an airport express with lossless files. I had bad silibance using a HR-2 and a GS-1 amp. It was acceptable with an RA-1.

Since then, I switched headphones to a PS-1 and Mapletree tube amp. Most of the silibance went away just switching to the PS-1 but now with the tube amp, the vocals, both male and female, are so damn smooth and the mids are just so euphoric. The GS1000 mids were ok but definately missing the Grado mid magic.

Even if I didn't have the silibance problem, the GS1000 didn't do it for me. I loved the energy of the RS-1. That live, in your face sound. The GS1000 were a livelier hd650 but not lively enough. The PS-1 is the real upgrade to the RS-1. Same basic sound but just more refined while still keeping most of the energy. I would have been perfectly happy with the RS-1, I just happened come across a PS-1 for sale at the time I was selling the GS1000.

Oct 10, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #51 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
It's no more suspect than having the same group of people that show up in every thread praising the GS-1000. Just because your on the praising side that doesn't mean we shouldn't have people stating their dislike of them nor does it make their opinions any less valid.

I'm not 100% positive with them. I state their stregnths and weaknesses. Where did I say their opinion wasn't valid?

Oct 10, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #52 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
No, it doesn't make your earlobes rattle like the K1000 or the GS1000, but I find the bass certainly more accurate than the inflated GS1000 variety.

I thought the K1000 has no bass???

Oct 10, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #53 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Yeah, I know...
frown.gif
....Even more if you find a bunch of people to get them, accept these compromises and limitations, and live with them. Unfortunately for them, and for other manufacturers as well, I don't think that I will ever be one of these, and I encourage people not to be as well....Compromises IMO belong to a reasonable priced headphones, but if I want to pay 1000+, at least I expect them to be better of what I already have and I have heard...that is why I'm still looking for a miracle...
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Of course no phone can be king when the R10's exist right? And certainly they too have no compromises
rolleyes.gif

That is, unless one wants to hear anything below the midrange and hopes to high Heaven that their ears won't bleed when listening to the highs. But then these aren't compromises, just "features."

Oct 10, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #56 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor
I thought the K1000 has no bass???

haha it has bass, but the bass starts to roll off after 50 Hz. This was part of the design since reinforced bass causes all sorts of acoustic problems with the rest of the sound. That's probably why the bass on the K1000 is about the best I've heard qualitywize.

Oct 10, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #57 of 156
If your K1000 has no bass, then you are not amping them right. But then again, if you are a basshead
basshead.gif
, I don't think any system can give you that kind of bass from a K1000 since they are designed with a roll-off around 45Hz.

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #58 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Over generalization. You can use an external DAC with a PC based system. And there are DACs that sound just as good as the best CDPs.

I dont agree. Today a well designed sound card(that "sound card" sounds cheap I know because it produced rather poor quality a few years ago) can generate near perfect line out quality. The line out signal quality is measurable by many popular tools.

Then why the best CD player still can survive with high price ? It is just somewhat similar playing DVD movie in your PC vs in stand along DVD player. They have their own purpose. It is nothing to do with picture quality.

For functionality, PC is far more prgrammable and useful than any best possible players. But using PC, you need OS/drivers and bug prone because of extreme complex PC environment today. A serious software driver for sound system in PC take more than a year with several experienced engineers to complete to useful level.

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #59 of 156
Ok enough of this back and "forth'age", who wants to sell me their pair for $700
very_evil_smiley.gif

I could use the backup pair for my girl, and there are obviously those that do not care for theirs so why wait, sell them now!
tongue.gif

AF can help you out of this mess indeed!

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #60 of 156
So there IS a dutch dealer letting people demo the GS-1000. Ouch, I guess I have to visit them next time I'm in the neighbourhood.

Good to read your impressions Sergei, saves the wallet and reminds me to keep my expectations fairly low when I do get to hear them. I love the upfront and in your head style of Grados, so I'm not sure what to expect of the GS-1000. I do like bass though, so they might just be my cup of tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back