GS1000 First impressions
Oct 9, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #16 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I tend to like more refinement and balance not less, so I have different goals then you. The bass has "impact" just like on the PS-1 - it's not boomy at all to me - and that's on an X-cans v.3. I think you may prefer the "one note bass" on the RS series.
:

I think you're doing something wrong if you're getting one note bass out of an RS Grado.

Oct 9, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #18 of 156
Great honest review. I love your analogy, "It is like coffee with to much cream in it." I am a coffee lover and I know exactly what you are talking about...hehehe.

Oct 9, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #19 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I think you're doing something wrong if you're getting one note bass out of an RS Grado.

Not sure how you do something wrong to a headphone. I didn't mess with the driver. My gear is definately up to snuff for my preference.

Everything is relative. My RS-1 doesn't have one note bass like Bose does, but compared to the GS-1000 and PS-1, the tonal shift is much more solid than on my RS-1.

Lots of hate for the GS-1000, but I love it regardless. This would be only in addition to my K-1000 and HP-2 which meet my goals of accuracy without adding to the recordings. The GS-1000 is more of a romanticaly colored phone that doens't shine on rock but on classical. It has one major downside for me which is that high frequency spike that kind of gives an artificialness to the sound - everything else, especially the bass is just awesome to me
gs1000.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #20 of 156
I agree about ROMANTICALY COLORED PHONE, but only that. What I mean is if you listen them with some easy going music.
I just can not imaging that classical music will do with them, cos they are far from neutral sounding one. For example this particular song: Patricia Barber - Use Me. Its starting with bass viol and keeps you all the way to the end. But I am so sorry, when I listen it with GS1 it is killing the whole song. Same with: Esbjцrn Svensson Trio - Tide Of Trepidation. When piano plays it is very smooth, but only viol starts, BOOM end of the story. I am not trying to convince anyone to anything, but they do not shine with anything I have tried.

[/QUOTE] The GS-1000 is more of a romanticaly colored phone that doens't shine on rock but on classical.

Quote:

Not sure how you do something wrong to a headphone. I didn't mess with the driver. My gear is definately up to snuff for my preference.

Everything is relative. My RS-1 doesn't have one note bass like Bose does, but compared to the GS-1000 and PS-1, the tonal shift is much more solid than on my RS-1.

Lots of hate for the GS-1000, but I love it regardless. This would be only in addition to my K-1000 and HP-2 which meet my goals of accuracy without adding to the recordings. The GS-1000 is more of a romanticaly colored phone that doens't shine on rock but on classical. It has one major downside for me which is that high frequency spike that kind of gives an artificialness to the sound - everything else, especially the bass is just awesome to me
gs1000.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #21 of 156
Quote:

gs1000.gif

The GS1000 and PS1 to me feel more like seeing the forrest and not the trees. If you get used to over-exaggerated bass, then you're not going to notice the subtle nuances when it isn't blown up to way beyond life size.

To each his own, I suppose.

What pads are you using on your RS1, by the way?

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #22 of 156
When I auditioned GS1000 in Taiwan, the store owner even recommended RS1 over GS1000. And mentioned a lot of RS1 owners still prefer RS1. He did not know I already have RS1 for a while.

If you listen to rock-like musics mostly, then I very much understand why RS1 is in favor. But if you listen to wide variety of musics, then the re-balanced and detailed sound of GS1000 should please you a lot more than RS1. GS1000 does neither have mid bass punch of RS1 nor deep/warm bass of HD650. Instead, it increases soundstage and beautiful detail, that RA1 makes it more so.

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #23 of 156
Blackmore, don't apologize. You make very valid points. We are just stating different viewpoints, but I'm not trying to convince anyone or say anyone is wrong.

Have you burned these in? I'm enjoying mine more on my PPX and RA-1 lately. I have Telefunken tubes also on my X-cans, so that might be a difference as well.

Quote:

The GS1000 and PS1 to me feel more like seeing the forrest and not the trees. If you get used to over-exaggerated bass, then you're not going to notice the subtle nuances when it isn't blown up to way beyond life size.

To each his own, I suppose.

What pads are you using on your RS1, by the way?

I have flats and bowls but almost always prefer the bowls except for harsh high frequency recordings.

I agree that the bass is a bit exaggerated and thick. The bass on my HP-2 and K-1000s are far more accurate. Yes, subtle nuances in bass aren't going to be noticed as much. What I like is the fact that you feel the bass as you would with speaker (to some extent anyway).

You're not arguing that the RS-1 is an accurate balanced headphone are you? I see them both as flawed and colored in there own way, clearly tuned by ear and not going for accuracy.

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #24 of 156
Quote:

You're not arguing that the RS-1 is an accurate balanced headphone are you? I see them both as flawed and colored in there own way, clearly tuned by ear and not going for accuracy.

I'm certainly not arguing that, I wouldn't around here even if I thought it was true. But, at the same time I don't see colored as flawed in this case.

I think my main argument was that you called the bass "one note." If that's what you're hearing out of an RS1, I think something's wrong with your RS1. No, it doesn't make your earlobes rattle like the K1000 or the GS1000, but I find the bass certainly more accurate than the inflated GS1000 variety.

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #25 of 156
Quote:

...but I'm not trying to convince anyone or say anyone is wrong.

Actually I remember you calling me a troll because I didn't like GS1000 and you disagreed with me.
rolleyes.gif

Well I hope you don't think that way anymore.

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #26 of 156
I dont own them, just had a listening session at the local HI-FI shop. And maybe you are right about RA-1, cos the guy from the shop was telling me the same.
Well I have made my choice to listen them with X Can V3, which is the stock one, and talking about other amps is very difficult for me. But my RS2 did sound pretty good with X can as well. My home rig is still better to my taste
tongue.gif

I use two SOVTEKS and one JJ/Tesla. Have Mullard coming. Later will try some other tubes. But JJ/Tesla does the job very, very well.
wink.gif

robm321 said:
Have you burned these in? I'm enjoying mine more on my PPX and RA-1 lately. I have Telefunken tubes also on my X-cans, so that might be a difference as well.

Quote:

Blackmore, don't apologize. You make very valid points. We are just stating different viewpoints, but I'm not trying to convince anyone or say anyone is wrong.

I have flats and bowls but almost always prefer the bowls except for harsh high frequency recordings.

I agree that the bass is a bit exaggerated and thick. The bass on my HP-2 and K-1000s are far more accurate. Yes, subtle nuances in bass aren't going to be noticed as much. What I like is the fact that you feel the bass as you would with speaker (to some extent anyway).

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #27 of 156
As a GS-1000 I can somewhat understand many of the opinions here. I think they are very sensitive to what equipment you are using. Amps, DACs sources make huge differences. Yes the impedance is low enough that you can plug it straight on to an ipod nano's headphone jack. Its gonna work, but we all know thats not what these are for.

I definitely agree that the GS-1000 doesn't sound uch like Grados. I was originally planning to get a pair of RS-1s but went for these instead. To be pefectly honest, it was an educated guess in a linear way. At first I was a little surprised/disappointed and was very close to selling these. They definitely compromise in forwardness and the "string sound". But overall it seems like a versatile phone. If you want one quality headphone that can handle many genres of music, this is probably the one you should try. Jazz and classic sound particularly good because of the Grado's detail and pace as does hiphop, house or lounge which makes good use of the bass.

Oct 9, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #28 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85
As a GS-1000 I can somewhat understand many of the opinions here. I think they are very sensitive to what equipment you are using. Amps, DACs sources make huge differences. Yes the impedance is low enough that you can plug it straight on to an ipod nano's headphone jack. Its gonna work, but we all know thats not what these are for.

Really? Because I was sorely dissapointed with the GS-1000s. To each his own, but after listening to 2 GS1000s, 1 had a silver dragon (completely burned in) out of an SDS-XLR, fed by a G08 with all VD Revelation cables, the other single ended with a Black Dragon through a Singlepower supra, I was VERY DISSAPOINTED.

IMO, the GS1000s are barely competitive at 300 dollars. The soundstage is the only thing they got going for them, and even at that it was completely smeared when run single ended and only cleaned up when balanced. Resolution is not bad either but:

Transients:SLLLLOOOOW
Bass:Boomy and uncontrolled with peakiness
Highs: Shrill, piercing and peaky
Mids:Recessed, Recessed, Recessed (All I see is comments about how the black dragon helps this, and sure it did to a certain extent...but they were still buried. And no I'm not comparing to other mid-saturated Grados, they just weren't there.)
Balanced? I'm really not sure how anyone could call these balanced...

Buyers are much better served by a pair of RS-1s and Sennheisers or AKGs at the same price. Considering their price/performance ratio, I believe the GS-1000s to be one of the worst investments in the hobby.
I know this is pretty harsh, but I was very dissapointed. I almost bought these before hearing hoping they really were the Grados with soundstage.
blink.gif

/End Rant
All In my Honest Opinion.
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #29 of 156
Quote:

I'm certainly not arguing that, I wouldn't around here even if I thought it was true. But, at the same time I don't see colored as flawed in this case.

I think my main argument was that you called the bass "one note." If that's what you're hearing out of an RS1, I think something's wrong with your RS1. No, it doesn't make your earlobes rattle like the K1000 or the GS1000, but I find the bass certainly more accurate than the inflated GS1000 variety.

The "one note" bass statement was because I didn't know any other way to descibe it. I guess I should have said the "tonal shift wasn't as strong" or something. But I agree with everything you said in the quote above except the K-1000 is far from rattling bass. It's rolled of but extremely accurate and detailed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Actually I remember you calling me a troll because I didn't like GS1000 and you disagreed with me.

Well I hope you don't think that way anymore.

I was referring to the fact that you always said they were sibilent and offered nothing else. One liner negatives always seem like sniping and offer nothing to people interested in maybe trying or purchasing IMHO.

Now - I don't think you are a troll

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore
I dont own them, just had a listening session at the local HI-FI shop. And maybe you are right about RA-1, cos the guy from the shop was telling me the same.
Well I have made my choice to listen them with X Can V3, which is the stock one, and talking about other amps is very difficult for me. But my RS2 did sound pretty good with X can as well. My home rig is still better to my taste
I use two SOVTEKS and one JJ/Tesla. Have Mullard coming. Later will try some other tubes. But JJ/Tesla does the job very, very well.

I think you will like the Mullards. They are smooooth.

Oct 9, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #30 of 156
Quote:

I was referring to the fact that you always said they were sibilent and offered nothing else. One liner negatives always seem like sniping and offer nothing to people interested in maybe trying or purchasing IMHO.

Now - I don't think you are a troll

Nice to hear this and sorry if I gave you that impression.

I was quite disappointed to GS1000's performance and might have expressed it quite "strongly". I still think that I shared all my expressions of them. They indeed were very sibilant with my rig and I'm not the only one with this opinion. As said before I should try them again with Stello rig, maybe they work better with them than D02 + RP5.1 combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back