GS1000 First impressions
Oct 9, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #31 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel
Transients:SLLLLOOOOW
Bass:Boomy and uncontrolled with peakiness
Highs: Shrill, piercing and peaky
Mids:Recessed, Recessed, Recessed (All I see is comments about how the black dragon helps this, and sure it did to a certain extent...but they were still buried. And no I'm not comparing to other mid-saturated Grados, they just weren't there.)
Balanced? I'm really not sure how anyone could call these balanced...

I agree that is the sound character if ur using it unamped. Most of the traits you mentioned can be altered with an amp,dac,source combo. At the moment, my dorm has size constraints so I'm limited down to my computer and little dot 2+, but when trying the Grados on my cousin's graham slee solo and my dad's custom built tube speaker amp (looped out to an H5) it sounded like a completely different animal. As I said earlier, these are very sensitive to other equipment. It also sounds alot like the HD650 and RS-1 morphed into one.

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #32 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
The "one note" bass statement was because I didn't know any other way to descibe it. I guess I should have said the "tonal shift wasn't as strong" or something. But I agree with everything you said in the quote above except the K-1000 is far from rattling bass. It's rolled of but extremely accurate and detailed.

Oh no question on the K1000. By earlobe rattling on those, I simply mean you can feel the soundwaves on your outer ear much in the same way that you can with a speaker. The K1000 is a whole different animal than the GS1000 when it comes to bass. Frankly, a more pleasant animal... someday if I strike it rich I'd like to build a K1000 rig to compliment my RS1 rig.

I too thought the GS1000 sounded like the HD650 and the RS1 combined at one point. Took me a while to realize that while it haid traits of both, it didn't do certain things as well as either. Namely midrange and texture. Nothing I plugged it into had the signature RS1 texture.

Oct 10, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #33 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
To me he addressed those two complaints very well, so I guess from an engineering point of view, the GS1000 is a success.

This is my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Why not addressing the complaints without creating others??? At this price tag and still doing compromises??? ...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

BTW they have other complaints to address, that were not even taken into consideration, maybe in the GS2700 they will get a perfect headphone...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #34 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Why not addressing the complaints without creating others??? At this price tag and still doing compromises??? ...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

BTW they have other complaints to address, that were not even taken into consideration, maybe in the GS2700 they will get a perfect headphone...
rolleyes.gif

In addition to soundstage and comfy improvement, its very refined detail sound is even more attractive.

Headphones use one driver to reproduce all frequencies. Then why not use 2 or even 3. I guess it will sound uneven because it is too close to ears to have more than 1 driver. So there is a bottle neck. No headphones can perfectly reproduce all sound as in studio, especially detail high vs deep strong bass. To my experience, a good set of near field monitors plus good sub, can come close to perfect sound. Headphone is just a shortcut.

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #35 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
At this price tag and still doing compromises??? ...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

You could certain spend a lot more and still be compromising.

I still feel the GS1000 is living in other Grados shadows. With very few exceptions most reviews seem compared to other Grados. The midrange is considered sucked out. The soundstage is considered huge. I think neither is the case unless your standard is the bubbled signature or nearly completely lacking soundstage of the SR and RS lines. At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, while the GS1000 price/performance ratio is poor, I'd say the same for the PS1, RS1, RS2, SR325, SR325i and now HF1. AKG, Sennheiser and Beyer all make better all-purpose/all-genre cans. The SR/RS Grados do somethings so well (love them with cello, great with rock, etc.), but honestly if you spent equal time with Classical, Jazz, Rock, Electronica, Folk, Country, J-pop, Balinese Gamelan, whatever, I'm not sure the other Grados would be top contenders. The HP1000 and the GS1000 are the only Grado models I've heard that don't have glaring major issues. While they've both been called boring, so have the other cans that seem superior to the SR/RS lines to me.

I hope this doesn't come off as defensive. $1000 is a lot of money and I'm sure the GS1000s are the wrong cans for many. From these impressions I want to give the bass specifically another listen. Because of the price I may not end up keeping them. I'm still debating. 1K still seems insane, but I'm considering selling off the HF1 and HD650 to cover. I hope to do a review of the GS1000 either way, so will wait for then to make more comments, but I just wish the cans were in more AKG, Senn and especially Beyer hands to balance out the Grado comments. Maybe they'd be equally negative, but at least possible purchasers could triangulate the pro/cons better. As many know Jude compared them to approaching the Orpheus with his system. Markl favorably compared them to the R10. Two other poor price/performance phones.
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #36 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx

Yeah, I know...
frown.gif
....Even more if you find a bunch of people to get them, accept these compromises and limitations, and live with them. Unfortunately for them, and for other manufacturers as well, I don't think that I will ever be one of these, and I encourage people not to be as well....Compromises IMO belong to a reasonable priced headphones, but if I want to pay 1000+, at least I expect them to be better of what I already have and I have heard...that is why I'm still looking for a miracle...
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #37 of 156
I could agree with you only if GS1 wasn't that creamy o.k. Like you wrote, they don't have any major issues, but I say they do. I think what John wants is to compromise with everything in one time, but unfortunately he made one mistake. En that is: What about Grado sound fans? You just can not push people like this and say, well my live is different now so the phones must to. It is like with some musicians. They have a huge group of fans and then after many years you don't see them anymore. Or even worse, they make some kind of "different" music, yeah right… I truly want to believe that those are like some "test" model. To see how people react and then he can make the next step. I don't think it is bad idea, but please before you call something like "STATE OF ART", it must earn this by the public first. And they still don't, well maybe by very small one...

Quote:

I still feel the GS1000 is living in other Grados shadows. With very few exceptions most reviews seem compared to other Grados. The midrange is considered sucked out. The soundstage is considered huge. I think neither is the case unless your standard is the bubbled signature or nearly completely lacking soundstage of the SR and RS lines. At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, while the GS1000 price/performance ratio is poor, I'd say the same for the PS1, RS1, RS2, SR325, SR325i and now HF1. AKG, Sennheiser and Beyer all make better all-purpose/all-genre cans. The SR/RS Grados do somethings so well (love them with cello, great with rock, etc.), but honestly if you spent equal time with Classical, Jazz, Rock, Electronica, Folk, Country, J-pop, Balinese Gamelan, whatever, I'm not sure the other Grados would be top contenders. The HP1000 and the GS1000 are the only Grado models I've heard that don't have glaring major issues. While they've both been called boring, so have the other cans that seem superior to the SR/RS lines to me.

I hope this doesn't come off as defensive. $1000 is a lot of money and I'm sure the GS1000s are the wrong cans for many. From these impressions I want to give the bass specifically another listen. Because of the price I may not end up keeping them. I'm still debating. 1K still seems insane, but I'm considering selling off the HF1 and HD650 to cover. I hope to do a review of the GS1000 either way, so will wait for then to make more comments, but I just wish the cans were in more AKG, Senn and especially Beyer hands to balance out the Grado comments. Maybe they'd be equally negative, but at least possible purchasers could triangulate the pro/cons better. As many know Jude compared them to approaching the Orpheus with his system. Markl favorably compared them to the R10. Two other poor price/performance phones.
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #38 of 156
I see the Grado troops are out in force. Go Go Grraadooo Go GS-1000s all the way… (JK to a degree) If you don’t like it there must be something wrong, but not with the headphones..

I suppose you charge enough and people think it’s got to be good, but that’s not saying it isn’t.

When I had the GS-1000s I found very few redeeming qualities. I like the RS-1 and the SR-225. But the GS-1000s just didn’t work so well with my set-up. My system already has a good amount of bass, which is somewhat typical of tube amps in general. Yet the GS-1000 brought it to another level where the bass overpowered. The highs were good, but at the same time after a while I got ear irritation and fatigued and they seem also overpowering. The mids were sufficient, but not as revealing as the RS-1s because they aren’t a really well “balanced” headphone. The low level details were just very hard to detect whereas my HD650 presented a clear and more focused picture. I suppose the GS-1000s might be better behaved with a solid-state amp. I did find them to be the most comfortable Grado I’ve worn, but I don’t have a comfort issue with Grado cans in particular. And yes the soundstage does provide a sense of space and depth due to the gigantic foam pads.

In the end, I found the HD650s superior in nearly every category and 1/3 the price too so go figure.

I don’t dismiss that some people like the way these headphones sound because I am a firm believer that system synergy plays a very important role as does our hearing, ear size and shape, and importantly what we “think” we like, what we've heard and been told or read. And other these factors play a huge role more so than most people apparently realize or led on that they do. And it’s very difficult for some to hear another criticize a headphone/product they own and love. And even more so, if the manufacturer is a friendly face known around these parts.

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #39 of 156
Sorry voor de mierenneukerij (2 nnen?) maar als de Nederlands vertaling te (als in te veel, te weinig enz. Niet de te voor een werkwoord zoals to be, to go enz.) of ook is, dan schrijf je too met twee OO's.

Thanks for the impression. I don't like boomy bass either so it's good to know I don't need to lust after these.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 10:07 AM Post #40 of 156
Not sure about set ups, cos some of the people disagree about any building around them. Well, they know better, I guess...
My RS2 sounds very good with X Can V3, sounds good out my Pioneer receiver and sounds BRILLIANT out my Tube Amp. GS1 was nothing but mess out X Can, so figure out the rest...

Thanks for sharing this with me. And yes, I found them also not particular balanced one, thanks to BASS that they overproduce. So I think that you do need a very good build up around them to make it "shine" somehow
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
I see the Grado troops are out in force. Go Go Grraadooo Go GS-1000s all the way… (JK to a degree) If you don’t like it there must be something wrong, but not with the headphones..

I suppose you charge enough and people think it’s got to be good, but that’s not saying it isn’t.

When I had the GS-1000s I found very few redeeming qualities. I like the RS-1 and the SR-225. But the GS-1000s just didn’t work so well with my set-up. My system already has a good amount of bass, which is somewhat typical of tube amps in general. Yet the GS-1000 brought it to another level where the bass overpowered. The highs were good, but at the same time after a while I got ear irritation and fatigued and they seem also overpowering. The mids were sufficient, but not as revealing as the RS-1s because they aren’t a really well “balanced” headphone. The low level details were just very hard to detect whereas my HD650 presented a clear and more focused picture. I suppose the GS-1000s might be better behaved with a solid-state amp. I did find them to be the most comfortable Grado I’ve worn, but I don’t have a comfort issue with Grado cans in particular. And yes the soundstage does provide a sense of space and depth due to the gigantic foam pads.

In the end, I found the HD650s superior in nearly every category and 1/3 the price too so go figure.

I don’t dismiss that some people like the way these headphones sound because I am a firm believer that system synergy plays a very important role as does our hearing, ear size and shape, and importantly what we “think” we like, what we've heard and been told or read. And other these factors play a huge role more so than most people apparently realize or led on that they do. And it’s very difficult for some to hear another criticize a headphone/product they own and love. And even more so, if the manufacturer is a friendly face known around these parts.

Oct 10, 2006 at 10:12 AM Post #41 of 156
No prob Lisa. Mij probleem is mij moedertaal en dat is geen NL en/of GB either.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Sorry voor de mierenneukerij (2 nnen?) maar als de Nederlands vertaling te (als in te veel, te weinig enz. Niet de te voor een werkwoord zoals to be, to go enz.) of ook is, dan schrijf je too met twee OO's.

Thanks for the impression. I don't like boomy bass either so it's good to know I don't need to lust after these.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #42 of 156
Does anyone feel that vocals seem to be distant and "small in proportion compared with the sound of instruments", which doesn't sound right and normal?

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #43 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Nice to hear this and sorry if I gave you that impression.

I was quite disappointed to GS1000's performance and might have expressed it quite "strongly". I still think that I shared all my expressions of them. They indeed were very sibilant with my rig and I'm not the only one with this opinion. As said before I should try them again with Stello rig, maybe they work better with them than D02 + RP5.1 combo.

No worries
wink.gif

The GS-1000's need at least a CD player or even better an TT. I've heard them on a computer based system and the sibilence was very strong. I don't have that problem on my system with that. They will expose sibilence, but not nearly as strong as they did on the PC/DAC system I heard them with.

These need a good system as they reveal the recording and equipment much more than the RS-1 - which IMO means they are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #44 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Oh no question on the K1000. By earlobe rattling on those, I simply mean you can feel the soundwaves on your outer ear much in the same way that you can with a speaker. The K1000 is a whole different animal than the GS1000 when it comes to bass. Frankly, a more pleasant animal... someday if I strike it rich I'd like to build a K1000 rig to compliment my RS1 rig.

I too thought the GS1000 sounded like the HD650 and the RS1 combined at one point. Took me a while to realize that while it haid traits of both, it didn't do certain things as well as either. Namely midrange and texture. Nothing I plugged it into had the signature RS1 texture.

I think the K1000 would be a good compliment to the RS-1. There are ways around the uber expensive amps. I think a couple of $3-400 amps were mentioned by some pretty senior member.

I think your last comments speek volumes: Namely midrange and texture. Nothing I plugged it into had the signature RS1 texture

It sounds like you were looking for a better RS-1. That's what I think the GS-1000's suffer from - the comparison, expectations.

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #45 of 156
Quote:

wink.gif

Well said. I find it suspect that people with 100% negatives about the GS-1000 seem to keep reading and have such an interest in the GS-1000 topic while Markl, Zanth, and Jude - not to mention John himself who designed the RS-1 seemed to think these compare to the top headphones out there.

I realize different tastes make play a factor, and I think certain music genre's can play against the GS-1000. Processed music is a not the best here becuase of the unnatural harmonics, but acoustic music does well.

Either way, I don't think these are the montrousities they are made out to be in this thread. It could be that people are simply pissed off at the price
biggrin.gif
I'm sure the HE-90 and R10 sucks too when you factor the price in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back