GS1000 First impressions
Oct 9, 2006 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 156

Blackmore

Headphoneus Supremus
Before I start I would like to share with you how friendly and nice people from this HI-FI shop were to me, big thanks to them to give me this opportunity. I was in the neighborhood and thought what the hell I ask them if I can get some session with GS1. And to my surprising I could. Not only that! They even ask me in which set up I would like to listen to them, yeah. What can I say, very professional and easy going people. I am from Holland, so only Dutch head-fiers can use this HI-FI shop for same reason I did. If anyone wants to know about it, just drop me mail.

This is the one: http://www.snijders-hifi.com/index.p...sk=view&id=154

The set up:

CD PLAYER - Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V2

TUBE AMP - Music Fidelity X Can V3

PHONES - Grado GS1000 / RS2

I didn't ask them about the IC cable and didn't look either, so I am sorry for that.

Music that been used:

Fields Of Gold: The Best Of Sting 1984-1994
When We Dance
It's probably Me

Eric Clapton UNPLUGGED

Old love

Robert Plant - Fait of Nations

Calling to You
I Believe
29 Palms
Great Spirit

Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder
Learning to Fly

The Best Smooth Jazz Ever - Various Artists
Patricia Barber - Use Me
Marlena Shaw - Woman Of The Ghetto
Jackson, Paul Jr. - Inner City Blues
Earl Klugh - I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Esbjörn Svensson Trio - VIATICUM
Tide Of Trepidation

Well guys here is my first impressions from last Saturday listening session with GS1, "top" of the GRADO line.
The first thing I can directly say is that, those are not my phones at all. The reason of that is simple, I found them to boring to my taste plus the BASS is TO BOOMY. I mean when you listen to them it is like waiting when your brains will be damaged. The BASS is up front of your face and kills all excitement, however I found them NOT EXITING AT ALL either. The reason of that is that they are TO REFINED. It is like coffee with to much cream in it. If those didn't have the BOOMY bass I probably fell in sleep within 15 minutes for sure. The SOUNDSTAGE is much bigger than in my RS2, but so what!? When I was at home I was trying to recall the sound from GS1 and the strange thing has happened. I looked at my AKG phones, that I didn't used for month now, and I thought DAMN that's it! What I did, is set them up and here we go, I was listen to GS1 very similar sound again. Only one BIG difference, no BOOMY BASS at all, lucky me. Those are made for kind of people that want listen to music without to hearing it and paying attention to it. I have put all those songs together very carefully but unfortunately all for nothing. My expectations were to high, I guess. Finally I was putting my RS2 on and HOLY COW, yes. I was hearing everything again. The sound was alive and the music was moving me again. Get you to the point of joy and excitement.
Well that's it. My RS2 is much brighter than GS1, yes. But not only that. They have much tighter and deeper BASS, which is MUCH natural sounding than from GS1. The soundstage made the GS1 not better as well. The sound is far from your face and that's what I think I can call boring sound. Yes, TO REFINED with TO BIG SPACE and as last TO BOOMY bass just one big disaster. Sorry John…
And now the positive things. They are great looking and very comfy phones, but that's about it.
Once again the SOUNDSTAGE is there, but didn't move me from the chair even with PF. To tell you the true, I don't really know why they been made anyway. If you ask me RS1 and RS2 are the TOP of GRADO line. My SR225 gave me my ORGASMUS directly by every song I was listen to. I will choose SR225 above GS1 without any doubt.
Please don't misunderstand me, this is only impressions and not the review what so ever. My taste is my taste only. So if you want to make your mind, please take some time and get some listening session for yourself before you make any decisions. But one thing is for sure, PLEASE LISTEN THEM FIRST BEFORE BUYING THEM. They are very expensive one and needs a lot of investment around them, like AMP etc…

Thanks everyone for taking the time for reading all this. Take care.

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 156
The GS1000 definitely does not have the sound that makes John Grado headphones so loved or hated. If you really love the traditional Grado sound, and it sounds to me like you do, then it is not surprising that you found the GS1000 to be disappointing. As to why they are made, my guess would be that John Grado wanted to address the two biggest complaints that people who don't like Grados have been saying historically: 1) lack of soundstage and 2) lack of comfort.

To me he addressed those two complaints very well, so I guess from an engineering point of view, the GS1000 is a success.

This is my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Oct 9, 2006 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 156
Boomy bass?

Pair it with a narrow and sharp treble spike, and you must've got dynamite there
basshead.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 9:51 AM Post #4 of 156
Hi there,

You dont need it at all, it is already like DYNAMITE.
To my taste anyway.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Boomy bass?

Pair it with a narrow and sharp treble spike, and you must've got dynamite there
basshead.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #5 of 156
Thank you for that mini-review!

IMO, it's interesting that you compared the 2 least popular Grados side-by-side.
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:10 AM Post #6 of 156
RS2 is maybe not that popular because of his big brother RS1. But believe me they are fantastic phones.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
Thank you for that mini-review!

IMO, it's interesting that you compared the 2 least popular Grados side-by-side.
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 156
I have listened to Grado phones for more than 3 years, SR60->SR325->RS1->GS1000. I have compete opposite to your opinion. But it is simply subjective, so there are no absolute right ot wrong reviews

But one thing that I reasonably certain it is seriously wrong at the end of your review said "...needs a lot of investment around them, like AMP etc…..". Grado phones are one of least amp dependent phones. I have tried GS1000 with MP3 player(Zen visionM), integrated amp in EMU1820M, HA-611MKII,RA1,MPX3 SE. At the end, I love GS1000 + RA1 most. Other amps sound similar regardless their prices.

Some says John Grado has integrated amp built in his phones. It is a joke. But also true in a way.

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 156
Well, first of all I didnt write a review, but impressions.
And the thing is about amp. they do need one if you want the best sound of them. Tubes are the one.
But I am total agree that you can listen to them without one to.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by rshdhead
I have listened to Grado phones for more than 3 years, SR60->SR325->RS1->GS1000. I have compete opposite to your opinion. But it is simply subjective, so there are no absolute right ot wrong reviews

But one thing that I reasonably certain it is seriously wrong at the end of your review said "...needs a lot of investment around them, like AMP etc…..". Grado phones are one of least amp dependent phones. I have tried GS1000 with MP3 player(Zen visionM), integrated amp in EMU1820M, HA-611MKII,RA1,MPX3 SE. At the end, I love GS1000 + RA1 most. Other amps sound similar regardless their prices.

Some says John Grado has integrated amp built in his phones. It is a joke. But also true in a way.

Oct 9, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 156
Thanks for the review.

I tend to like more refinement and balance not less, so I have different goals then you. The bass has "impact" just like on the PS-1 - it's not boomy at all to me - and that's on an X-cans v.3. I think you may prefer the "one note bass" on the RS series.

About the only thing I agree with you about it that people should listen before they buy. These have a unique sound and just like in your case, some won't like it at all.
gs1000.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 156
You are very welcome. Thanks to you to, for sharing this with me.
Well, about the bass. I may better use word like OVERWHELMING. But I was trying to be honest and for me personally it is just TO MUCH.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Thanks for the review.

I tend to like more refinement and balance not less, so I have different goals then you. The bass has "impact" just like on the PS-1 - it's not boomy at all to me - and that's on an X-cans v.3. I think you may prefer the "one note bass" on the RS series.

About the only thing I agree with you about it that people should listen before they buy. These have a unique sound and just like in your case, some won't like it at all.
gs1000.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 156
I wonder if it would synnergize better for you with an M^3... A great sounding amp, that I found shouty and too aggressive with my RS1/HF1.?

Oct 9, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #12 of 156
I agree with those who have said it's a matter of preference.

I have paired my GS-1000's briefly with a PS Audio GCHA, but more often with the Zhaolu 2C's (CS DAC) headphone out. It mated well enough with the stock amp, and the discrete amp does well too.

The Zhaolu in it's stock form has been said to have a slightly light bass, and if this is the case than it works for me.

I liked the Grado "family" sound in general, but DID wish for more soundstage and space. And the fit always bothered me, whether bowls or flats.

To me, and my preferences, the GS-1000 is the first Grado headphone that I CAN take longer-term, and enjoy the sound quite a bit.

Oct 9, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #13 of 156
The more reviews I read the more I don't think the GS1000 is for traditional Grado fans. But for those of us that aren't that was what gave us hope. In my case I bought site unheard precisely because there were so many RS1s/PS1s are superior threads. I kept thinking "maybe, just maybe." And of course there's the unGrado nickname. I just hope enough Senn and AKG fans aren't scared away as the rest of the Grado line is so similar. I would never call the bass boomy, but if it is I wonder what the Senns would be called which is so much more overwhelming? The GS1K funky response curve certainly shows a bass emphasis though.

Oct 9, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #15 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
I would never call the bass boomy, but if it is I wonder what the Senns would be called which is so much more overwhelming? The GS1K funky response curve certainly shows a bass emphasis though.

IMO it isn't boomy or overwhelming but neither is HD650 bass. Actually the bass was one of the few good qualities of GS1000. I didn't like their overall sound at all but for some bassy music like electronica I think they might fit just fine. I'm curious to hear them again with Stello's though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back