GS1000 First impressions
Oct 13, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #136 of 156
um, i was about to order these phones balanced with black dragon cable but im glad i tried them first.

setup:
silver dragon balanced gs1000
sds-xlr
meridian g08

the bass was absolutely unacceptable so much that I could not really listen to them for long or focus on any other aspect. I found the r10, hd650, and qualia superior and personally, imho, would not consider the gs1k at almost any price. I had huge expectations and was not impressed by any attribute.

if the sds-xlr and g08 are not up to snuff for the gs1000, i dont know what is.

Oct 13, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #137 of 156
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

um, i was about to order these phones balanced with black dragon cable but im glad i tried them first.

setup:
sds-xlr
meridian g08

the bass was absolutely unacceptable so much that I could not really listen to them for long or focus on any other aspect. I found the r10, hd650, and qualia superior and personally, imho, would not consider the gs1k at almost any price. I had huge expectations and was not impressed by any attribute.

I have similar experience with the PS-1. I prefer the RS-1 and HD-650 balanced more than the PS-1 balanced. Maybe the PS-1 and GS-1 just don't work well with the SDS-XLR? FYI, source was SCD-1 and Audio-Aero DAC.

Purk

Oct 13, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #138 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS

setup:
sds-xlr
meridian g08

I have heard before that the XLR balanced version of the GS is not as good as the single terminated Black Dragon version and researched this myself considerably before buying mine..although I have not heard the balanced XLR Black Dragon GS yet. Have spoken with several people on this one.

Interesting to see so many people denounce the sound of the GS at any price point, and the number of those that feel this way. Will be curious to see if this changes in the future one way or the other..

Oct 14, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #139 of 156
The GS1000 seems like the quintessential example of the emperor not wearing any clothes in hi-end audio. I briefly A-B-C'd it with an RS-1 and DT990. The GS1000 had nothing on the new DT990's, so I lost interest in it pretty fast. This was listening through the headphone out of a mid-line Denon SACD player mind you, which very likely didn't bring out the best in either headphone.

I've heard the new DT770 on another system, but haven't compared it to the GS1000, so I can only assume I would probably like it better. Just because the GS1000 costs 5x more than the DT770 doesn't make the comparison unfounded. Though it might be unqualified, it's not an ignorant comparison. Dismissing the DT770 as not in the same league as the GS1000 without having heard it is ignorant.

The RS-1 is still the top of the range in Grado sound to my ears. The sound profile of GS1000 puts it in competition with the top Senns, AKG's, A-T's, and Beyers, and in that arena it fails in my view. I cringe at the thought of someone blindly plonking down 1k on the GS1000 as a first set of good headphones. Bottom line is listen before you buy.

Oct 14, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #140 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony
The GS1000 seems like the quintessential example of the emperor not wearing any clothes in hi-end audio. I briefly A-B-C'd it with an RS-1 and DT990. The GS1000 had absolutely nothing on the new DT990's, so I lost interest in it pretty fast. This was listening through the headphone out of a mid-line Denon SACD player mind you, which very likely didn't bring out the best in either headphone.

I'm strangely curious. How can you have the confidence to casually toss out a line like quintessential example of the emperor not wearing any clothes, then ...

A) state you only briefly listened to the phones in question and only in a far from ideal situation?

B) backtrack with not to dismiss other's opinions who find the GS1000's worth it?

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:45 AM Post #141 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
I'm strangely curious. How can you have the confidence to casually toss out a line like quintessential example of the emperor not wearing any clothes, then ...

A) state you only briefly listened to the phones in question and only in a far from ideal situation?...

How much time does one have to spend with a headphone, and with what kind of set-up, to have an opinion? My listening session was about 1.5 hours, though mostly with the DT990's and RS-1's. Given the "far from ideal" listening situation, people should probably take my impression with a grain of salt. That's just how I felt given the circumstances. I think the Denon SACD player was actually quite good, though you likely need a spend atleast 1k on amp and source each, not to mention 4k on a Nordost Valhalla cable upgrade or some such, to bring out the very best in GS1000 low-volume listening.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
...B) backtrack with not to dismiss other's opinions who find the GS1000's worth it?

I don't really get that either. Maybe I was drunk at the time!?
blink.gif

Oct 16, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #142 of 156
Quote:

How much time does one have to spend with a headphone, and with what kind of set-up, to have an opinion? My listening session was about 1.5 hours, though mostly with the DT990's and RS-1's. Given the "far from ideal" listening situation, people should probably take my impression with a grain of salt. That's just how I felt given the circumstances. I think the Denon SACD player was actually quite good, though you likely need a spend atleast 1k on amp and source each, not to mention 4k on a Nordost Valhalla cable upgrade or some such, to bring out the very best in GS1000 low-volume listening.
wink.gif

As you suggest. I will take it with a grain of salt.

Oct 16, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #143 of 156
Quote:

The GS1000 had absolutely nothing on the new DT990's, so I lost interest in it pretty fast.

Interesting is your comment, as I too have heard the new DT990's and since your statement is pretty much all inclusive, I guess I needn't ask you how so then
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #144 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Grados need a lot of current, but not that much power. This is key to remember. In fact, I would say, HP-1000's require the most current of any phone made, and then it likely goes through the Grado line-up (electrostats excluded). Yet in terms of power, K-1000's require the most, then maybe Senns and so on. This new headphone is going to reveal flaws very quickly on par with R10's and Qualias I would suppose, to the effect that one is going to have to system match much more carefully than previously with other Grados. Now, some amps are just as good with the older Grados as the GS-1000 but the sources could be a problem.

What amplifier specification tells us how much current an amp delivers? The Aural Audition does the best with GS-1000's out of all my amps.

Dec 16, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #146 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarnauga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have discovered a review in the UK magazine Hi-Fi Choice on these cans. It is in PDF and you can download it here. This site is a spanish audio store.

http://www.supersonido.es/productos/...cumento236.pdf

Regards.

(I did a little search around and it seems nobody post it yet.)

They are really not all that. If you like GRADOS I suppose you would like them but if your used to SENNS you wont.

Dec 16, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #149 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vai, have you even heard the GS-1000 or are you just flame-baiting once again?

IIRC he has. Or atleast i remember someone with similar name not being satisfied with his GS1000.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #150 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vai, have you even heard the GS-1000 or are you just flame-baiting once again?

yes I have heard the along with the RS-1 and find them tobe extremly bright, (I am sensitive to high frequencies so....) but seriously I couldnt listen to them without running them throughan EQ which ould be blasphemy anyway.

GRADOS ARE NOT MY CUP OF TEA. Doesnt mean thier bad,but they are overpriced. for $1000 they should sound "good" out of a colby pcdp.

I guess Im part of the DARK SIDE

600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back