Grover Ultimate Reference
May 21, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #121 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
It is very difficult for me to compare the two because my SRs are RCAs and my URs are XLRs -- i.e. I can't just swap them in the same amp/headphone setup. The URs are not bright in my KGSS/O2 -- they just let the Meridian music through. But then again, the O2s are DARK phones to begin with, so I can't really tell how bright they are. Alll I can tell you is that, the UR XLRs are detailed and airy without being bright in a Meridian G08 (balanced)=>Grover UR XLR=>(balanced)KGSS=>Stax Omega II setup.

I just sent my SR-IIs RCAs to Grover for upgrade to the new URs. I will let you know in a week or two. Hold on.

PATB...just did the same yesterday. Sent the SR's off for the upgrade. Hope it's going to be all that and more.

May 21, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #122 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
No silver cable will ever approach the warmth of the pinnacle golds. The empress cable sounds like the sr-II but without the excess brightness. I have the UR's coming to compare to the empress.

Biggie.

I've got the Empress on a short list so keep me posted on the comparison. Sent my Grover SR's off yesterday for the upgrade. I know it won't have me forgetting that at their heart, they're silver cables but if it takes the edge off and adds just a touch of warmth, they might be keepers. Still I'd like your thoughts of the UR as compared to the Empress. If they're even close, considering the price difference, it would seem a no-brainer of which to purchase. With cable the tube rolling, I'm bound to find my sweet spot.

May 23, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #123 of 135
KenW,

I posted a review specifically comparing the Empress' to the latest UR revisions.

Jun 1, 2005 at 11:00 AM Post #126 of 135
why dont you just drop the man himself an email?
wink.gif

groverhuffman<AT>hotmail.com [replace the <AT> with @]

Jun 2, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #128 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
Edit:He email me back and i am soon to be owner of some.
biggrin.gif

ditto here.
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #129 of 135
I would like to warm my main speaker system up a bit, do you guys think the new Grover URs can do the job? It is silver right? Shouldn't I be looking at copper to achieve this? Right now I have HGA Silver Laces. Thanks

Jun 12, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #131 of 135
Kieran,

They're wonderful cables and I can't recommend them highly enough--but in your case, if you're looking for additional warmth, they might not fit your bill. They really are very neutral tone.

Jun 12, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #133 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kieran Comito
Well, I might give the a try anyway. If they don't work in my main system, I will just throw them in my second system or sell them.

Grover's are definetly warmer then the home grown lace ic's. Gord_SW_Ont owns a pair of grovers and a pair of home growns and we did a comparison between them, the empress and grover reference II's at his house one day. I found the home grown to homogonize the sound in a way I didn't like. However none of the grovers have that extra blanket of warmth that many copper cables I've heard have.

Biggie.

Jun 19, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #134 of 135
Quick message to thank those here (Gopher!) who posted about the Grover UR. I was pretty skeptical about inter-connects but tried my luck ordering these cables (the return policy makes it a no brainer almost...).

Well, one word sums it all up: WOW!!!! What an improvement over my Outlaw Audio PCAs! I could not believe it. More controlled / deeper bass was one thing. But the most noticeable difference was in the highs: they are so much cleaner! The Outlaw Audios are sounding completly unrefined in comparison: bright, harsh. The Grover cables make my Meridian shine, the highs are extended and crystalline sounding but never brittle sounding. Simply amazing!

For less than $150, I definitely recommend it!

Jun 19, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #135 of 135
my grover URs arrived around 4 days ago.

while they look, frankly, awful, they sound pretty damned good!
biggrin.gif

they are relatively flexible so i would assume either a twisted-pair or double-straight type geometry is used.

i cannot do any meaningful review/comparo right now as (ratshack ICs aside) i currently do not own any other ICs. HOWEVER. in a month or so the UR will go up against a cardas golden reference...
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back