Grover Ultimate Reference
Apr 4, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #91 of 135
No one has yet to answer my question on what type of materials are used in the cables.

there are many praises but simple questions about the cable specs are ignored? there has to be someone in the thread that knows what the cables are made of?

Apr 4, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #92 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
No one has yet to answer my question on what type of materials are used in the cables.

there are many praises but simple questions about the cable specs are ignored? there has to be someone in the thread that knows what the cables are made of?

Buy a pair and cut them open hehe. Grover uses silver wire and nos style connectors.

Biggie.

Apr 4, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #93 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180

The purpose of this forum is to discuss the offerings of the marketplace and their performance. The build/materials questions that you raise are appropriate to the DIY forum. Each vendor retains the right of ownership over the knowledge they have accumulated and to decide to participate in the DIY forum, or not to, as they see fit. Grover's open-handed generosity is amply demonstrated in the modest price of his cable offerings and the gracious customer service he provides. I, for one, would appreciate your not persisting in trying to turn this discussion of the range and performance of the Grover cable offerings into a DIY thread. But please, feel free to participate in a manner appropriate to this forum. Thank you.

Apr 4, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #94 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
... with UR speaker cables and ICs now in place I am hearing details no other cable combination yet had been able to reveal in a huge believable 3D soundstage. Everything relaxed, natural and musical while at the same time more revealing of detail and 3D space vs any other cable I have owned. ...

DarkAngel has given a beautiful summary of the UR cable performance.
On Friday, I shipped my PPA off to have a buffer upgrade, and I am using my Headsave new Classic at home as well as work for awhile. The spot at which the new Classic has always had a hard time keeping up with the PPA is soundstage - the size and credibility of the soundstage provided from the new Classic do not detract from its overall performance, but have just not been compellingly good (despite its other sonic strengths). With the UR IC feeding it, I have never heard the soundstage from the new Classic as large, vivid or coherent as I am now hearing it while enhancing its crystal clarity, and textural/timbral richness that I have always appreciated about the new Classic. The more ways I use the UR IC in my rigs, the more of its sonic beauty and strengths I experience.

Apr 5, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #95 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack
The purpose of this forum is to discuss the offerings of the marketplace and their performance. The build/materials questions that you raise are appropriate to the DIY forum. Each vendor retains the right of ownership over the knowledge they have accumulated and to decide to participate in the DIY forum, or not to, as they see fit. Grover's open-handed generosity is amply demonstrated in the modest price of his cable offerings and the gracious customer service he provides. I, for one, would appreciate your not persisting in trying to turn this discussion of the range and performance of the Grover cable offerings into a DIY thread. But please, feel free to participate in a manner appropriate to this forum. Thank you.

Hi Sbulak,

I apologize if I offended you. Its not uncommon for cable manufactuers to post specifications. If you notice almost every professional assembler provides guage or wire, dielectric materials and connector types. Its not a big issue, Cardas is one of the big heads along with Nordost, audio quest, in a prior thread Ted Paisley even stopped by and answered the questions about his interconnect materials (Kudos to him). I dont think it pertains to DIY at all, but helps potential consumers decide on a purchase. After this explaination. If you still feel I have broken terms of use of this forum, please point it out and quote the rules in the forum I have broken. In all sincerity, I have been respectful and polite in my posts. No DBT in my posts.

No one should be getting defensive if the product is truely wonderful, a defensive post is the result of someone feeling threatened, which means there is negative info that should not be known.

shouldnt be too big of an issue, Im just curious, since there is so much praise, Id like to know why there is so much praise. and just for the record, No I am not trying to make a clone of anything. I already have a basic understanding how to make most every type of audio cable (within reason
smily_headphones1.gif
)
I dont want to know the braid technique or secret prioprietary assembly notes, NONE of that interests me. I was just wondering what the general specs were, thats all.

catch my drift?

Thanks to biggie for helping me with my enquiry.

If I have been disrespecful let me know where.

Apr 5, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #96 of 135
RnB180,

I think the person most qualified to comment there would probably be the G-man himself. I'm not sure how often he visits this forum, but why don't you drop him a message yourself and post your findings to the thread. He's a very nice guy and I'm sure he's happy to answer any questions as he is very proud of his work.

Apr 5, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #97 of 135
Guys, I am in the process of patenting my design. It's a new design and untill I receive the patent I am going to keep the details of the UR's construction quiet. Grover

Apr 5, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #98 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by grover
Guys, I am in the process of patenting my design. It's a new design and untill I receive the patent I am going to keep the details of the UR's construction quiet. Grover

Hey Grover,

Thanks for stopping by. Sounds understandable.

Apr 9, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #99 of 135
Just did some real listening to latest UR cables I received 3/31/05, Grover said there had been some changes. Hard to keep track of everything but I would say Grover had the midrange and treble very well resolved previously and last couple revisions did most to improve lower mids/bass and 3D soundstage size, and overall sound just seems more refined and coherent.

Newest UR has very detailed fast solid bass with no overhang or bloat, sounds that previously were slightly soft/fuzzy are now well detailed allowing echo and decay of notes to be better heard. This gives overall sound lots of rythm and snap, and soundstage becomes larger and more complex as you hear faint sounds and echos back deep in the soundfield that were previous obscurred or opaque........this is like watching HDTV
k1000smile.gif

Anyway I don't know how Grover does what he does at this price level, it really is amazing. I wish I had these years ago before I foolishly bought many highly rated $500-1,000 cables which have all been sold now.

I would seriously like to know if anyone has $500-1,000 cables they fell are better than Grover UR after trying them? (or any price really)

Apr 9, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #100 of 135
I don't know if many of you read Martin DeWulf's "Bound For Sound" but I sent him an email suggesting the UR's were definitely some cables he should listen to. The last two editions gave his Components of Merit as well as Exceptional Merit. Ray's XR-2 was included but the UR's should definitely be on the list.

Apr 17, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #101 of 135
Darkangel is right in that Grover has made some revisions to his UR series cables. I've been listening to a couple pairs of his revised wires in my rig for the past few days and they have provided a solid improvement over the previous incarnations. Overall coherance has improved with the newest version as has lower mid/bass performance--this has led music to have a significantly weightier/denser presenation and are really wonderful cables.

Also excitingly, Grover has discovered a speaker cable configuration which he feels is near perfection. He felt his previous SR speaker cable lacked a bit in the bass department but excelled in all other avenues and the UR was an attempt to remedy this, though at the loss of a touch of speed.

He is now using the two cables together with the SR handling the upper ranges and the UR handling low end and feels this is a totally uncomrpomised configuration and highly recommends it for anyone with bi-wirable speakers. I have both cables currently, but will be unable to test them in bi-wire configuration for a couple of weeks though. Judging by grovers excitement I am sure I will not be dissapointed.

Apr 21, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #102 of 135
Okay, I'm in the market for some new interconnects and this thread has me interested. Could some of you make some more direct comparisons to cables from more established brands, ie; Nordost, Kimber, Cardas and reference particluar cables?
These are extremely affordably priced, and Grover seems to be a class act, but I'm trying to determine where these might fall in the overall spectrum of cable quality. Some of those I am seriously considering (at used prices) are:

Cardas Golden Reference
Cardas Golden Cross
Kimber KCTG's (or hopefully a great deal on .5 meter pr. of 1030's)
Nordost SPM's
Nordost Valkyrja (again, would have to be a steal on a .5meter pr.)
Virtual Dynamic Nite2's

Also possibly considering:
HMS Gran Finale
Audience AU24
Pure Note Paragon
Tg Audio HSR- High Purity
HGA Silver Lace

JC

Apr 22, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #103 of 135
Anyone???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
Okay, I'm in the market for some new interconnects and this thread has me interested. Could some of you make some more direct comparisons to cables from more established brands, ie; Nordost, Kimber, Cardas and reference particluar cables?
These are extremely affordably priced, and Grover seems to be a class act, but I'm trying to determine where these might fall in the overall spectrum of cable quality. Some of those I am seriously considering (at used prices) are:

Cardas Golden Reference
Cardas Golden Cross
Kimber KCTG's (or hopefully a great deal on .5 meter pr. of 1030's)
Nordost SPM's
Nordost Valkyrja (again, would have to be a steal on a .5meter pr.)
Virtual Dynamic Nite2's

Also possibly considering:
HMS Gran Finale
Audience AU24
Pure Note Paragon
Tg Audio HSR- High Purity
HGA Silver Lace

JC

Apr 22, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #104 of 135
nightfall,

I haven't personally heard most of the cables on the list you mention, but suspect the Grovers would compete favorably.

I used to own HGA Silver Lace and the grovers are by far the superior cable in ever aspect (especially with imaging). I've also heard the Cardas cables mentioned though never owned any for my self and didn't care for any of it. There was something about the sound of Cardas cables that never really tickled me right. In fact I was once considering the Golden References for myseylf, but after auditioning them, decided to cable with acoustic zen wire instead.

Sorry I can't comment on more of the stuff on your list, but if you're willing to take a gamble with the grover cables I think you'll be rewarded.

Fred

Apr 22, 2005 at 12:58 PM Post #105 of 135
NF
I have not owned those in your list but several you list there are 5X or more the cost of Grover UR, if you need multiple sets of cables that will needlessly drain your wallet quickly, Grover has trail period give them a try.

I have previously owned and after getting Grover cables subsequently sold all my:
Acoustic Zen Silver Reference
Analysis Plus Solo Crystal + Silver Oval
HGA Silver Lace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back