Grossed Out By Used Phones?
Apr 13, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #31 of 66
More fun to buy and sell from another head-fier. As a group we are more honest than you will find anywhere. Plus its a great way to avoid break-in time.
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #32 of 66
I did buy used headphones (hard to tell they were not new),
But still, I already ordered and had the new pads waiting here when the cans arrived
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #33 of 66
My father, whose business was once located in New Jersey while he maintained residence in Missouri. Because he had to be in New Jersey for at least 1/3 of the year, he ended up getting an apartment as it was cheaper then a hotel. For it, he purchased a virtually unused, but still used, mattress set.

This creeped everyone out, until he pointed out, that another 1/3 of his year he is sleeping in hotels. He got to see the people that had owned the mattress he bought. Thousands of people slept on the hotel mattresses, and he had no idea who they were, or what they did on them.

I always thought it was a pretty good observation.

That said... Some of you go to headphone meets. Some of you demo phones in shops. Some of you buy and return multi $100 headphones under 30 day return policies. What's the difference as long as they were well cared for, and you're not jamming waxy IEMs into your ears?

Apr 13, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #34 of 66
No problem buying used here either. As long as the stuff is clean what s the problem?after a little dusting of my headphone gear you d never know it was used.
The smelly sock auction was funny
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #35 of 66
No issue with used whatsoever.... Although I just got a pair now and you're all freaking me out.

Meh, I'll probably still do nothing about it.

Apr 13, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #36 of 66
90% of my equipment was purchased used(everything but the source). I think everyone would agree that there isn't a problem buying cables used.

My PPX3 was also purchased used. I literally could find no evidence it had ever been touched and hadn't just been shipped over from Mikhal.

Lastly, my HD650s were purchased used. Again, they looked, felt, and were packaged exactly like new... the only difference was that I didn't have to burn them in myself.

I find the key is to do research into the seller. When you get a good feeling of what the seller is like, you can tell what his equipment will be like. Someday when I'm ready to upgrade, I'd like to pass on my gear to their third owner in almost new condition.

m

Apr 13, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #37 of 66
I have bought and sold many used pairs of phones here--but not any IEMs. All the phones have been in great condition and I've not even had the need to wash the pads, they didn't look dirty or even used. I guess the former owners were clean-headed people. But there's something that does GROSS me out! I am also a cycling enthusiast and participate in a couple of cycling forums. You wouldn't believe how many people (mostly guys from what I can tell) buy and sell used bicycling shorts! Now that is disgusting! [for those of you that don't know, you do not wear underwear when wearing cycling shorts; and you get mighty sweaty in there!]

Apr 13, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #38 of 66
I've bought used IEMs before. I just use new tips and clean the filter with the wax removing tool or just replace the filter all together.

Apr 13, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
biggrin.gif

Sorry but I had this kind of picture in mind reading your previous post:

[size=large]Yep this one is good......[/size]

http://www.johnholtstudio.com/adm/ph...atingRoom1.jpg

amicalement

Nice!
wink.gif

Must confess, however, that I had another one in my mind - namely depicting the Leslie Nielsen & Priscilla Presley prevention method.
biggrin.gif
Google Images wouldn't come up with the one I was searching for, though...

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 13, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #41 of 66
Shoot my friends will grab my IEMs and shove them straight in their ears without cleaning them. That is kinda icky.

My Grados were "used", I'd guess for about an hour. I'll happily take the 20% discount, thanks!

For me used vs new depends on cost and reliability for the most part.

Apr 13, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #42 of 66
So what about if the IEMs were owned by this total knockout hottie you been lookin at? Then would ya buy them? Also,would ya still wash them,or stick them right in your ears?
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #43 of 66
If you don't buy used you'll never get to hear the sounds of a pair of K-340's or CD3000's or now the K-1000's. I don't mind it if they're in good condition.

Apr 13, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #44 of 66
Hmmm!

How amny of us, or our partners, would decline a dentist or surgeon using their equipment on our bodies, despite the fact that some of it will have been used far more intimately on others?

I know........ it's all been sterilised, but how well? Sorry, I'm not trying to offend the true professionals here, which undoubtedly most are. Just throwing a different perspective on the angle of all things used.

I think like most things if you sanatise your purchase you should have little to worry about.

Enjoy your audio.

Apr 13, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #45 of 66
"Factory fresh" doesn't mean medically sterile. And let's be honest: if you use your headphones a lot, or give friends a listen, it's almost the same thing as getting/having used phones. There's still a load of microscopic doo-dads (um, not the technical term...) running around - you simply sustain the illusionn that they're yours, and therefore pass muster.

In reality, there's a teeming colony of microscopic life hanging around in your headphones. Their happiest moments are when they can listen to your music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back