Grossed Out By Used Phones?
Apr 13, 2006 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

guynamedjohn

100+ Head-Fier
I mentioned to my wife that I was looking at used headphones, and she said "eewwwww". I'd thought it before, but never expressed it so eloquently.

I'd buy used cans, but I'd probably draw the line at canal-phones.

Anyone else grossed out?

Apr 13, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #2 of 66
initially yes someone elses BO or worse yet tobacco smell is putrid.

But a little soap and water and scrubbing and it all works out.

Garrett

Apr 13, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #3 of 66
The girls I know would never buy anything used regardless of its condition
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #5 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
The girls I know would never buy anything used regardless of its condition
wink.gif

I think its a woman - thing... My wife NEVER buys anything used. She would pay more to have a lower quality / entry level item thats new, instead of a used top of the line.

Apr 13, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 66
Interesting. I've bought a couple pairs used. I cleaned them, but it wasn't a big deal.

And no, I haven't caught anything or developed an infection. Even just leaving something unworn for a day or two is enough to kill most pathogens. If that's not enough, household cleaners are fine.

Some people are just like that. Personally, I like them. They can absorb the premium of buying something new and the rest of us can get it at a fair price later. I think it's drilled into us by the consumer culture. How a consumer good can transform from the latest and greatest to untouchable in a year or two is the "magic" of marketing.

Apr 13, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #8 of 66
For headphones, I wouldn't buy used for the most part.
And for underwear/socks, that's just over the top - I always wonder who buys even new underwear from Ebay (you never know!!!)

Apr 13, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #11 of 66
I have had a hit or miss experience buying used. I had a smokey pair and couldn't deal with that, but my current cans were bought used and they are like new, and I have no regrets at all about them.

Apr 13, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #13 of 66
i doubt id buy a pair of used IEMs either but its not so bad if they are supplied with brand new tips. However its hard to tell if some sellers are telling the truth.

Apr 13, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #14 of 66
I've bought plenty of headphones used and I've never encountered problems. Of course, I like new headphones more! Even though you can get new tips, used IEMs are something I would never buy simply because of hygiene issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back