Great headphone sound? It’s in the CAN! iFi audio ZEN CAN!
Sep 9, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #182 of 538
I don't know....I have been lusting after the zen can for some weeks now but still have not pulled the trigger...too many audio related disappointments in my purchase history ya know....

I have been reading some reviews and a few of them say it has a "warm" signature and a narrow soundstage.....does anybody here agree with this opinion or are they full of *** and were just hearing the characteristics of the dac they had connected to it?....

I've owned most of the entry-level ~$100 amps (JDS Atom, Schiit Magni 3+, Cavalli Liquid Spark, O2). The ZEN CAN certainly stands out as being the most spacious of the lot. I wouldn't describe it as warm either--smooth and fluid, yes, but certainly not warm or dark. It manages to do something very special to my ears, sounding both airy and analog at the same time. Needless to say, I'm enjoying my unit a bunch...

Sep 13, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #184 of 538
I've been so enamoured with the ZEN CAN that I figured I had to pick up the ZEN DAC. So far I've been using an iFi nano BL as a DAC, and was a little sceptical about the improvement the balanced output the ZEN DAC might bring. I'm pleased as punch to report that I found the ZEN DAC balanced to be a worthy upgrade. Both the nano BL and the ZEN DAC are running firmware 5.3c.

My chain is as follows: Tidal via Audirvana > iFi ZEN DAC Balanced > iFi ZEN CAN Balanced > Onkyo A800 / Sony XBA-Z5

The difference between the single-ended and balanced inputs of the ZEN CAN is fairly distinct, if not significant. Soundstage is much larger, low-end is weightier, and there's greater tonal weight/density. By comparison, the single-ended input sounds relatively lean/thin and narrow.

Hopefully this information is useful to anyone on the fence...

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #185 of 538
Nice job ifi, this sounds phenomenal for the price. Tested on my hifiman he1000 v1 and it sounds really great. Testing on LCD 2 and Ad2000x to follow :)

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #186 of 538
I love the x-bass feature on the he1000, very detailed and musical at the same time. I don't know if the xbass is good with other headphones because i haven't tested it yet with my lcd 2 and ad2000x but with the He1000, the bass becomes very enjoyable and impactful but not bloated or muddy :)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #187 of 538
Very good pairing with the LCD 2 fazors too but for the LCD-2 the xbass is a bit too much so it is better turned off. I think that zen can is really good for planars in general.

Sep 20, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #188 of 538
@iFi audio

Hello
I have a question about Zen CAN's power button.

I feel it's too sensitive to turn on Zen CAN.

case 1 : Push power button very shortly -> turned on
case 2 : Push and hold button over 1 sec -> not turned on

after case 2, I can't turn on the device.
I need to pull the power adapter and insert it again and then I can turn on CAN by case 1.

Is it normal???

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #189 of 538
@iFi audio

Hello

I need to pull the power adapter and insert it again and then I can turn on CAN by case 1.

Is it normal???
Mine is also like that

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #190 of 538
@iFi audio

Hello

Is it normal???
Mine isn't like that ,i can hold the power button in for as long as i like, it turns on just fine while the the butten is held down

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #192 of 538
Nice job ifi, this sounds phenomenal for the price. Tested on my hifiman he1000 v1 and it sounds really great. Testing on LCD 2 and Ad2000x to follow :)
Hi! Can you try the Zen Can with the Chord Mojo? Pairs well or lose any of the details that the Mojo reproduce?
Thanks.
p.d: I have the Mojo the Sennheiser HD660S and the AKG K701. The AKG needs more power and the Zen Can could be a good option.

Sep 21, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #193 of 538
@iFi audio

Hello

Is it normal???
I have never noticed this in my month with the Can
Hi! Can you try the Zen Can with the Chord Mojo? Pairs well or lose any of the details that the Mojo reproduce?
Thanks.
p.d: I have the Mojo the Sennheiser HD660S and the AKG K701. The AKG needs more power and the Zen Can could be a good option.
I see no reason why a proper amp like the Can couldn’t reproduce a good DAC signal.

Sep 22, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #194 of 538
Thanks.
I can't try now because my chord mojo is dead after a year of use. Sad because it offers very good sound but unfortunately not very reliable. But I think the better the source, the better sounding the zen can will be because it will be amplifying a good signal.

I am actually planning to buy Ifi Pro Ican next year because I am very impressed with the sound it produce with my he1000v1 when I demo it in the headphone store. But having own the zen can now, the urge to buy pro ican just disappeared. I like the zen can more than the ifi pro ican in solid state mode and that amp costs thosands of dollars more than the zen can. The zen can offers good amount of details and dynamics while having that smooth top end and retaining musicality in the mids and lows but the bigger brother pro ican sounds sterile and analytical in solid state mode when compared to the zen can.

Sep 22, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #195 of 538
Thanks.
The Zen can will have no trouble powering the Akg 700 series ,I have Akg 712 pro ,and yes they need more power than the hd660 to sound there best .
Zen can reproduces the source it is fed accurately in my experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back