Great College Headphones? Budget $200 or less :S
Sep 14, 2010 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

musick

Head-Fier
Recently I moved away from home to live on residence for university but because of the lack of space or because of my extreme laziness...I left my amps at home and to top it off I forgot to bring my headphones with me to university ( My stuff is in some storage facility in Vancouver BC, it's just too much of a hassle to get them back...so I need new headphones for this year)

I'm looking for suggestions as to what headphones would suit me the best under the following criteria
-somewhat portable
-comfortable for long study sessions
-not too disruptive for libraries
-sound signature compliments alternative rock to dub step
-somewhat decent for casual gaming ( directionality etc)
-durable
- NO AMP

I looked up a few old threads but the flavor of the year ( m50s) just aren't what I'm looking for.  I'm really looking to spend as little as possible as the rest of the budget goes towards nefarious liquids of courage...

I've looked at the Grado 325s and the 225s but I'm worried about sound leakage among other things. 

I wanted Sennheisers but I'm worried about sound leakage and amp problems.  ( Was looking at the 238s and people reported problems with getting the full sound without the amp)

Wanted the Shure 840s but they're kind of bulky and the coiled wire just doesn't do it for me when I'm wearing skinny jeans...

I've tried IEMs but I can't stick them in my ears for a long period of time because they either feel uncomfortable or just foreign. I'm currently living in Kingston, Ontario, Canada (they have bestbuy and some computer store that carries mainstream stuff) so it's very difficult to buy headphones based on personal preference so I'm depending on the opinion of others for this. 

Thank You

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 23
Not a bad idea...

I'm currently debating about Open vs. Closed and trying to figure out how much isolation/leakage is acceptable for commuting/ studying in the library...

If it's open then I'll probably go with Grado as they are great amp less but I haven't completely figured out the Closed headphone side just yet

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 23
A library is a pretty sensitive environment, Open will always leak for sound then closed, when closed headphones are on your head they form a seal, and music does not escape as much.

However when open are on your head, the only way out is out the open side, so that's where it will go.

They may sound the same while sitting in front of you on a table, but the isolation is there when you put them on your head and it forms a seal.

(My Denons can be as loud as speakers if they are sitting on the table, but when I put my hands over them (acting as my head) I can barely hear a thing, and can't hear anything at moderate to high levels.)

For this reason I would recommend srh840, I have heard lots of great reports about them, and they are more compact then my the md2000. On the other hand, if your not worried about a bulky cable, and large headphone I would recommend the Denon D2000's, you will look a little ridiculous but I feel like they suit your genres better, and are an overall better phone (I listen to dubstep and trip hop, and love em).

-Ambient Revolution

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 23

Quote:
A library is a pretty sensitive environment, Open will always leak for sound then closed, when closed headphones are on your head they form a seal, and music does not escape as much.

However when open are on your head, the only way out is out the open side, so that's where it will go.

They may sound the same while sitting in front of you on a table, but the isolation is there when you put them on your head and it forms a seal.

For this reason I would recommend srh840, I have heard lots of great reports about them, and they are more compact then my the md2000. On the other hand, if your not worried about a bulky cable, and large headphone I would recommend the Denon D2000's, you will look a little ridiculous but I feel like they suit your genres better, and are an overall better phone (I listen to dubstep and trip hop, and love em).

-Ambient Revolution

Yeah I know what open headphones are it's just that I don't listen to my music very loud...usually I listen to my music loud enough that I can still hear what's going on around me. I had the HD600s and while they were open headphones...they didn't leak enough to warrant a SHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I think I'm going to go with the Shure 750s as the bass is more refined rather than deep as it is with the Denons.

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 23
Good Choice, the srh 750's are probably more suited for portable use anyway, the d2000's are more of a home phone. I think you'll be very pleased.

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
Have you looked into the Audio Technica ATH-M50? Overall, it's a solid performer, sounds much better than it's $100 price tag...

I think they're overrated as hell...imo flavor of the year. People keep recommending them...but I just don't think the sound is justifiable despite the general consensus. 

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #14 of 23
M50's are amazing.  Have you heard them?  I could give a crap about flavor of the month/year.  I would keep my M50's over my hd650 and k701 if I could only have one.  They have the closest bass to my home theater subs that have ranged from $1000-$2000.  Have not heard Shure.  Only headphones I have owned I like better than my M50's over all are Triple fi10 and LCD2.  Just my opinion.

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #15 of 23

Quote:
M50's are amazing.  Have you heard them?  I could give a crap about flavor of the month/year.  I would keep my M50's over my hd650 and k701 if I could only have one.  They have the closest bass to my home theater subs that have ranged from $1000-$2000.  Have not heard Shure.  Only headphones I have owned I like better than my M50's over all are Triple fi10 and LCD2.  Just my opinion.

Yes not only have I heard them but I HAVE them. I find it strange you liked the M50s /TF10s over your HD650s...and that you thought that the M50s were close to home theater subs over $1000.  I mean Thunderbolt vs M50 or SuperNovaMKIV-12 vs M50 in bass.... you sound rather misinformed (fanboy...)  Thank you for your opinion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back