Great Acoustic Albums
Jan 29, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #17 of 89
I like Nirvana's MTV Unplugged album. Actually have 2 Best Of MTV Unplugged compilations as well and they sound pretty cool.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #20 of 89
Kelly Joe Phelps

d5502506634.jpg

Shine Eyed Mister Zen

Bert

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #21 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I love Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Live at Luther College

x2.

Also, Pearl Jam: Live at Benaroya Hall

B0002F9BL2.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #22 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second Michael Hedges and Elliott Smith.

Also, I love Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Live at Luther College

You'll like Elliott Smith a lot, very good stuff, too bad he did himself in
frown.gif

The Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds is a FANTASTIC listen to just unwind.

My 3 cents

Jeff

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #25 of 89
Surprised this has only been mentioned once, but check out Andy McKee's The Art Of Motion. Amazing CD.

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #26 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Nirvana's MTV Unplugged album. Actually have 2 Best Of MTV Unplugged compilations as well and they sound pretty cool.

Nirvana's MTV unplugged on vinyl is to die for. I'd pay 100 for that album (I paid a mere 30 but the sound is worth 100 for sure).

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #28 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Floodedstatue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One that I discovered on here is Nils Lofgren - 'Acoustic Live'. One of the best sounding recordings I've ever heard.

Well noted. This is one of the best recordings that I've heard in recent years. And brilliant performance to boot! HIGHLY recommended!

JC

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #29 of 89
Also excellent suggestions. Please add William Ackerman "Passages" to this. Beautiful and unforgettable acoustic guitar compositions.

JC

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Michael Hedges. Especially check out "Aerial Boundaries". "Oracle" is also good, with an especially full, rich sound. "Beyond Boundaries-Guitar Solos" is a good introduction to his work, and has two of his harp guitar compositions ("Because it's There" and "Double Planet"). His harp guitar stuff is pretty amazing, especially if you ever saw him play.

You'll likely find his works in the New Age section, (Windham Hill) but don't let that fool you. MH was one of the most influential finger-style guitarists of his generation. Well worth a listen.

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #30 of 89
On CD: Bruce C0ckburn - Speechless

On vinyl: Larry Coryell - European Impressions

These two are killer discs that I think any acoustic guitar fan will listen to over and over.

I second the Ralph Towner nomination, he's a genius. Also worth checking out are the David Grisman-Jerry Garcia collaborations.

Slightly electrified, but with a mellow vibe: Ry Cooder- Paris, Texas OST; Richard Thompson - Grizzly Man OST. As mentioned, the MTV Unplugged series of the early 90's was pretty good, the best of it being Nirvana, Neil Young (w/Nils Lofgren), and Eric Clapton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back