Grammar/punctuation in professional contact
Aug 30, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Hello; good morning" is not a very good use of semi-colon. But worse, you just don't need two saluations.

I might start a speech:

"Hello." "Good morning." "Today our topic is digital cables."

but I would not do both in writing.

All good points. ty LOLZ ur best.
biggrin.gif

Ahem. Seriously though, the above was helpful to me. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm work as TA

"im work as TA lolz FTW i luvs it." Sorry, I couldn't help myself. The last several posts put me in a sarcastically humorous mood!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I loled when the main dude b****slaped that chick, then I dunno what happened...."
frown.gif

Wait, bitchslapped isn't proper language for a professional dialogue? That's news to me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do know hiring managers who will throw your resume in the trash if you use them.

What about exclamation points? That is something I have trouble figuring out as well. As below:

"Good morning! Thank you for the opportunity. I look forward to meeting with you!"
or
"Hello! I received your paperwork and I must say I am most displeased with your apparent lack of progress. Please see me at once to discuss this matter. Also, be advised that the workplace is not a place to use smileys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Emoticons" have no place outside web-forums and chats. I tried to dispense with these even on forums (I don't chat), believing that words alone can convey any subtle nuances of meaning. But it turned out that, in the fast-track world of the info superhighway, people have no time for what I thought to be harmless verbal humor, and their instinct is to take offense. So:
tongue_smile.gif

I am quite articulated in person and via professional contact (letters, emails, etc.) even though this thread might suggest otherwise. Thus, I too believe in the power of the spoken word and all of that awesomeness. Ironically, I think my hankering for using emoticons and exclamation points is actually based on a fear of being rejected and/or negative response (as you mentioned above). I grew up in some pretty bad conditions so the basis makes sense. It's time for some re-habituation, though. Sduibek Psychology 101 is finished for the day. I hope you've learned something! LOLZ!

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about exclamation points? That is something I have trouble figuring out as well.

here is an example:

Me: "Finished that assignment. See attachment below. Anything else you need me to work on?"

Supervisor: "Great! I don't think there is anything at the moment, but I'll let you know. Thanks again."

that type of situation is the only time i see the "!" being used at work. i don't think i would ever use it in a greeting.

Aug 31, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #34 of 50
Re: exclamation points: some people are simply allergic to it, especially when it appears more than once in a piece of writing. Given it usually adds little to business correspondence (say, is there really a difference between "I look forward to meeting with you." and "I look forward to meeting with you!"?), it is better to play safe by avoiding this.

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #35 of 50
I like leaving my all caps on when applying for jobs.

dEAR, hIRING mANAGER;

i HAVE THE BEST QUALIFICATIONS POSSIBLE FOR THIS HERE JOB. i WILL WORK MY BEST FOR YOUR sUPER dUPER iNC. COMPANY. pLEASE REVIEW MY rESUME AND TELL ME IF YOU LIKE IT.

sINCERELY,
-eDWOOD.

-eD

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re: exclamation points: some people are simply allergic to it, especially when it appears more than once in a piece of writing. Given it usually adds little to business correspondence (say, is there really a difference between "I look forward to meeting with you." and "I look forward to meeting with you!"?), it is better to play safe by avoiding this.

Sounds good. A question for you (or others) is what to do if your hiring manager is using exclamations all over the place. Do we bite the bullet and adjust to fit their means of communication, or maintain the "mostly-lack-of-exclamations" style?

Aug 31, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Sounds good. A question for you (or others) is what to do if your hiring manager is using exclamations all over the place. Do we bite the bullet and adjust to fit their means of communication, or maintain the "mostly-lack-of-exclamations" style?

Let your manager use exclamation points if he or she wants. Do not call attention to it and do not change your style.

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

This can mean two things:

1) Your superior is perfectly cool with exclamations, and won't blow up if you use them.

OR

2) This is admittedly a rarer situation, but the manager might be taking liberties simply to show he is the boss -- he can afford to break some tacit rule that he expects his underlings to adhere to. Language, like all sorts of self-expression, is a form of power play. Just because your boss comes to work wearing orange polo and magenta denims does not give you permission to follow suit.

It will take some serious sniffing around to tell between the two cases. In the meantime, play safe.

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #40 of 50
- Here's an email from today @ my new job... Pass or Fail?
- Again, if it makes any difference, the sender is female. Please take no offense to this as none is intended. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

- Email order is from the bottom up (MS Outlook)

Disclaimer: some information changed or removed for security and confidentiality concerns.

Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 12:22 PM
To: Kunz, Devin; C******, H******
Subject: RE: Parking sticker issued

Just picked it up; I’m all set.

Thanks again!
-DK

Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 8:54 AM
To: C******, H******
Subject: RE: Parking sticker issued

Heather-
Good morning! Thank you for the quick turn-around time on that. I’ll go pick it up later this morning.

Thank you,
DK

Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 7:14 AM
To: Kunz, Devin
Subject: Parking sticker issued

Your parking sticker is ready to be picked up at the Bothell * security desk. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me, otherwise you may pick up your sticker at any time. Thank you!

H****** C******, Capt
Security Site Supervisor | The ********* Corporation | AT&T ********, Bothell
Work: (***) ***-**** | Fax: (***) ***-**** | Cell: (***) ***-****

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #41 of 50
i think you should be fine.

really, the only important items in writing email in a professional setting are to be polite and clear. everything else can be passed off as style.

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #43 of 50
Hello again,

Should I respond to a person that replies to my email with "Thank you for your help" or something of that nature?

EXAMPLE:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
From- Shelly
To- Devin (that's me)

Thank you for the help, Devin! I appreciate your awesomness and sexy tenacity!

Sincerely,
your pal
From- Devin (*that's me)
To- Shelly
Shelly:

You are welcome! Let me know if my awesomeness is needed for anything further.

Thank you,
--Devin

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

Is it okay to use smileys/emoticons in professional contact?

Probably varies by the person. I have no problems sending the people I work with and do business emoticons. I suppose if you have a by-the-book boss, sending a smiley along with your TPS report might cause him to think you aren't taking your work seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back