Grammar/punctuation in professional contact
Sep 13, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #46 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it okay to use smileys/emoticons in professional contact?

The craziest I chose to get in professional emails is an exclamation mark. That said, I don't see any problem in using smileys in communication to people you are always in close contact with and know well (ie my boss and coworkers).

I wouldn't even think of using a smiley when I contact our chairman (extremely conservative person) or chief engineer.

I also think it's inappropriate when it leaves the company. I'm setting up a "kick-off" meeting with one of my suppliers and the president of their company responded to one of my questions in a smiley/joking way. He was trying to be nice, which I can appreciate, but it came off as unprofessional.

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #47 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No response on my question above about Thankyous and You'rewelcomes?
frown.gif

I cry.

Can't have you crying. So:

In general no, don't do a "you're welcome" email. It is sort of spam. The only exception is a customer -- if they thank you, you should answer with something like "you're welcome, no problem, we're here to be sure you get the most out of your BitPerfect 2250 XL. Please feel free to contact us with any issues whatsoever."

If your boss thanks you, don't respond in email. Next time you run in to her in the hallway, say "hey, I really appreciated the note you sent".

If it is a co-worker, do a "you're welcome" only if you have something additional to add.

If it is someone you have a crush on, and you are flirting in email, or want to start, then of course this is a perfect excuse. Better than "The building is on fire, meet me at the exit door in 5 minutes" although I have seen that work too.

Sep 13, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #49 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your boss thanks you, don't respond in email. Next time you run in to her in the hallway, say "hey, I really appreciated the note you sent".

Contact in PERSON? That is truly revolutionary my friend!
biggrin.gif
Seriously though, that's a good point. It's always good to go chat with someone briefly instead of doing it all digitally. It's wierd that so much boss-underling contact is digital these days. Hm.

I can see your point about customers, too. I mean technically it takes like 12.8 seconds to respond with "You're welcome", and while it may seem SPAM-ey to them, it always shows you care about them being taken care of and their money. Er, I mean, their loyalty and support of your product.
beerchug.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #50 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if you fancy in-office romance, for heaven sake DO NOT use your internal e-mail. Your I.T. department most likely keeps track of everything.

But that's the whole point. Flirting is always out in the open and a little dangerous. That's what makes it work. I think your point is this: as the path goes from flirting to hook-up, move from email to texting. Agreed.

This is rock-solid second-hand advice; I have a lot of nieces and nephews just finishing school and entering the workforce. I engage them whenever I can on the topic of p2p communication: when you email, when you text, when you post, when you call, etc. Fascinating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back