Graham Slee Solo (Green VS PSU1)
Jul 7, 2012 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

autumnholy

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, guys.

Sorry for me asking, if you have ever compared both Solo Green and Solo PSU1. What's the difference anyway?
I just wanna know if the price can be justified, and if it's better to upgrade directly to Solo Ultra linear or any other amps around the price range.

Btw, my audio setup is: Laptop -> Centrance Dacport LX -> Beyer T70 (250 Ohm).

Just wonder if Solo has good synergy with the setup. Mainly listen to audiophile vocals and a little rock.

Thanks!

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 19
Hi, the Green Solo came out in 2007 as an exercise by Graham to implement a switching power supply to drive the Solo amp and reduce the consumption of electricity. A lot has changed in the last 5 years and Graham has tweaked the output of his amps which now far outperform the Green Solo. If you have not bought the Green Solo I would suggest you pursue the Solo SRGII or the Ultra LInear w/ the PSU1 or with the switching power supply and later you can upgrade to the PSU1.

To answer your question on the PSU1, yes I have listened to the Green Solo with it. The improvements were easy to hear and IMO worth the added money. In a nutshell the sound had more impact, clarity, and the overall presentation was more involving. I can't say more since it has been a few years since I owned the Green Solo.

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 19
Thanks mrarroyo.

I'm pondering which amp to buy to pair with my setup. Initially I was rather mesmerized by the tubes. But after hearing comments that tubes have to be turned on for a while before it sounds the best, and the tubes have limited lifetime, which is not as cost-efficient as the ss. Therefore, Imma have to think about which ss to go for.

In my hometown, Graham Slee can be bought from Jaben. Not sure about the other amps, but my exposure to other amps are kinda limited to online reviews.

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 19
"Green" Solo, as Miguel put it, was a 2007 experiment that sounded good at the time (have not heard newer Solo versions so can not comment on them). "Green" improves when connected to regulated class A PSU (in my case custom DIY PSU; not Graham's PSU-1): "clearer" sound, "blacker" background.

Nice amp, nothing wrong with it, but since then I have heard better amps (IMO) for similar money. Matrix's M-Stage, AMB's M³ (DIY) or Audio-GD's Roc to name a few.

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 19
FauDrei,

Yeah, I heard similar comment about how power supply affect the sound. About more "stabilized, darker sound".

Btw, that's what I hope to hear. More choice. But S***, those brands are unavailable from my local retailers AFAIK.

Here, for the price range of Graham Slee (in terms of SS amp), we have... err... actually Solo only.

So I afraid I have to find other means to obtain them, mostly online purchase.

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 19
atumnholy, although tubes wear out they as a norm are good for several thousand hours of use with some in the 5,000 to 10,000 hour range. The warm up is about 15 - 20 minutes and BTW, SS amps do sound better once they have been on for a few minutes, IMO of course.

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 19
Thanks mrarroyo for the input.

I think for now due to budget and knowledge limitation, I'll go for ss due to its durability. There are too much variables for me in desktop amps because of my little exposure to them.

Maybe I should go for a mid-level (around $400-500) desktop amps and the rest is funding for a new set of higher priced setup (if necessary).

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 19
atumnholy, although tubes wear out they as a norm are good for several thousand hours of use with some in the 5,000 to 10,000 hour range. The warm up is about 15 - 20 minutes and BTW, SS amps do sound better once they have been on for a few minutes, IMO of course.

Again I agree with mrarroyo. Set of tubes can last long time. And you can look at the tubes as a possibility to tailor the final sound of your amp... even thought it may become an obsession.
wink.gif
(still love my X-Can V2)

Tubes need warm up, but so do many SS designs: my main rigs starts "really singing" after 30 min warm-up when it's temperature stabilizes.

As for your local retail situation - it can not possibly be worse than mine. The place where I live... Bah! Never mind... Great majority of my acquisitions were internet based. If/when you gain the confidence for online shopping - your choice of available gear will significantly improve. Definitely worth considering.

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 19
Thanks FauDrei. i'll probably consider tubes if that's what can make the sound different (if not better). I heard praises of tube being able to make the music "warm, smooth, and detail", but also "slower, unsuitable for fast music". Well, guess it has to come to the leap of faith..

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
FauDrei,

Yeah, I heard similar comment about how power supply affect the sound. About more "stabilized, darker sound".

Btw, that's what I hope to hear. More choice. But S***, those brands are unavailable from my local retailers AFAIK.

Here, for the price range of Graham Slee (in terms of SS amp), we have... err... actually Solo only.

So I afraid I have to find other means to obtain them, mostly online purchase.

FYI Not sure where you are based but Matrix have a distributer in the UK and have M stage's in stock for quick post to europe. Also, Audio GD distribute from Ampcity.co.uk too, but the Roc is discontinued apparently. Also, you're always gonna get a better bargain online imo.

For the M stage
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130721046466?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Again I agree with mrarroyo. Set of tubes can last long time. And you can look at the tubes as a possibility to tailor the final sound of your amp... even thought it may become an obsession.
wink.gif
(still love my X-Can V2)

Tubes need warm up, but so do many SS designs: my main rigs starts "really singing" after 30 min warm-up when it's temperature stabilizes.

As for your local retail situation - it can not possibly be worse than mine. The place where I live... Bah! Never mind... Great majority of my acquisitions were internet based. If/when you gain the confidence for online shopping - your choice of available gear will significantly improve. Definitely worth considering.

The X-Can V2 with the PinkFloyd mods and a Little Pinkie PSU is one of my favorite amps!

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #12 of 19
Thanks guys. Am thinking of using Solo to drive T70, or perhaps HD650. Matrix stage? I need to do more readings!

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #13 of 19
Just to add my two-penneth . . . I use 650s (and Denon 7000s) with my Solo to great effect. This was with an SRGII/"green" and now an Ultra Linear/PSU1. The Solo definitely has an edge over the Sugden Headmaster (Bijou) in my second system, with greater dynamics, detail and a firmer grip on proceedings. I won't be looking to replace it . . .

To directly answer your question, I found that when comparing the plugtop supply with PSU1, the linear supply definitely gave a more dynamic presentation. Going back to the plugtop after using PSU1 for a couple of weeks there was obviously something missing. IMO to get the best out of the SRGII, a PSU1 is called for, and is mandatory if you're doing a SRGII to UL upgrade.

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #14 of 19
Hi
I too am wondering about upgrading my Solo SRG2 with a PSU1, but as cash is limited am wondering if a more worthwhile tweak at the moment would be upgrading the stock cable on my HD650, maybe from Toxic Cables. Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back