Graduation gift for my cousin (She loves music)
Dec 2, 2012 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AudioGurl

New Head-Fier
She loves music but she only uses her iPhone earphones.  She helped me out economically many years back and I want to get her some special headphones.  I will spend up to $1000.

What are some good closed headphones that cover the whole ear? Some headphones with clear vocals, great mids, rich/strong bass, great soundstage.

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 13
Ultrasone Signature DJ and Denon AH-D7000 are options worth looking into. Do note the D7000 is discontinued, though.

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 13
Perhaps Sennheiser Amperiors?

Would your cousin like IEMs... or do you want to stick with over or around the ear headphones?

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
Looks like the HE-400 or He-500 will satisfy your cousin
rolleyes.gif
. They just need some more good source to supply power for them
biggrin.gif

The OP asked about closed headphones, not open.

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
They both look great!  I just dont know i I should get her the discontinued d7000's since it might be hard to get warranty or repair parts for them.

Well, the D7000 is going to increase in price, it has good craftsmanship but poor build quality. The Signature DJ might be your best bet, with excellent sound for just about all genres you throw at them, and they're built like a tank.

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #9 of 13
The old Denons are great, but understand your reticence about discontinued models.  I have not heard the 
Ultrasone Signature DJ but the reviews make them sound very attractive.  And they look great.

You might want to read some of the postings on the Beyerdynamic T 70 P.  It's not likely to have
the bass support I'd expect from the Ultrasone line.  However it has the lastest Beyer 'Tesla' technology
and designed to be portable.  The T 5P even more clear, apparently, but is outside your already generous
price range.

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 13
Don't know if you made purchase yet, but recently got Sennheiser 650's, which I absolutely love. They don't cost as much as the others mentioned above (they do have higher models, the 800 and others, that I haven't heard). They are "open", over the ear but not sound blocking (you hear outside sounds, others can hear what you are playing). All the headphones being mentioned, the HE 400/500 and such, probably won't do well directly out of an iPhone, all need amping. Getting a decent amp along with the headphone will bring it up closer to what you wanted to spend.

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 13
I just noticed you have the 650's, and other good HP's, and amps, so I guess you know how good they are...

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #13 of 13
My error, looked at the wrong post, so what I said still applies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back