Graduating from old Bose Earbuds, Trying to decide between SE215 and RE0's
Jul 17, 2012 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

aznxenocide

New Head-Fier
I have an old pair of Bose ear buds (the generation before the IE2) that I'm currently looking to replace. I really liked the mids on them, but I was disappointed in the lack of highs and the somewhat confined soundstage, so I'm trying to find something under $150 that represents an upgrade (in addition to something that's actually an IEM). I'd be using these in the office and on the plane, mostly to listen to electronic music, classical music, alt, and some rock (i.e. Tiesto, Hans Zimmer, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Spoon, and Red Hot Chili Peppers). From what I've gathered throughout Head-Fi, it seems like those would be two solid bets (although I'm slightly worried about the Re0's lack of bass), but it also looks like the Brainwavs M2 might be good too. I also have a Fiio E5 amp that I could use if I needed to, as well.

*edit: By Shure SE115, I meant SE215. Sorry >.<

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 6
i had the RE0 will lack of bass, really. and the build quality is awful
havent tried Shurem but the SE215 should be better than the 115
but i did had the hisound Crystal, which seems to compete well with the SE215. and maybe have more highs

and if you metion the M2 , then you'd consider the Vsonic Gr06

also, how about the CKM500?

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 6
I actually just got a pair of SE215's and I'm really enjoying them.  I've never heard the Re0's so I don't know what they're like but I'm wondering if the Shures would be right for you.  They are not treble monsters by any stretch of the imagination and on some material, they sound really rolled off.  EQ does help with this but only so much.   

That said, the 215's have ample, well-controlled bass and some very nice mids for an IEM.  They're dark so don't expect anything revealing.  Soundstage isn't huge but it's only very slightly smaller than the MC5's I used to use that I gave to the wife.  I really like the construction and so far the fit is very good...I'm actually digging the earhooks.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.   

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
i had the RE0 will lack of bass, really. and the build quality is awful
havent tried Shurem but the SE215 should be better than the 115
but i did had the hisound Crystal, which seems to compete well with the SE215. and maybe have more highs

and if you metion the M2 , then you'd consider the Vsonic Gr06

also, how about the CKM500?

Hmm the GR06 definitely sounds interesting. I can't really find anything about the CKM500--have you tried them? Care to share your impressions? How are they compared to Crystals?

and lol, good call on the 215 XD

Quote:
I actually just got a pair of SE215's and I'm really enjoying them.  I've never heard the Re0's so I don't know what they're like but I'm wondering if the Shures would be right for you.  They are not treble monsters by any stretch of the imagination and on some material, they sound really rolled off.  EQ does help with this but only so much.   

That said, the 215's have ample, well-controlled bass and some very nice mids for an IEM.  They're dark so don't expect anything revealing.  Soundstage isn't huge but it's only very slightly smaller than the MC5's I used to use that I gave to the wife.  I really like the construction and so far the fit is very good...I'm actually digging the earhooks.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.   

My friend had the 115's back in the day and I was really impressed with them then, so I think the 215's would be a good bet too. The bass isn't too bad on them? And do these have the detachable cables like the other Shure IEMs? Do they hold up okay?

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 6
Might be too late for this but...

Bass on the 215's is excellent if you like a good boom.  They can get a little sludgy at times but overall, they're very good bass in-ears.  They do have the detachable cables, too.  And so far, they've held up great.  I've used them on a couple business trips and I've been in and out of some nasty places with them with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back