Grados
Jun 11, 2008 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

Nihility

100+ Head-Fier
now, i have $300 for a super nice, low volume, laying in bed listening to music type of headphone.

ive decided grados.

im torn between 225, 325i, and rs2's

i have more than 300, but a few things:

the 325i's gold is really gross looking in my opinion. really really gross looking.
i hate gold. unless theres a way to make them silver, im not going for those.

so the big choice: 225 or rs2

price, obviously.

im figuring here, im going to end up getting rs2's eventually arent i? its just going to happen.

why go for a 225 when ill just get an rs2 in 6 months to a year? i might as well go all out, heh.

another plus is my source - my only amp is an ibasso d2:boa (which is coming) and either my laptop or my Zune, so the easy-to drive... ness is good.

will i notice a huge difference between these two when using my setup of say

Macbook ---> Ibasso D2: Boa ---> 225 or Rs2

or should i not consider the rs2 because iw ill never be a "at home" amp type of person - i never sit still, hence laptop being my most stationary source.

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 58
Sure, a home amp is going to increase the performance, but I honestly find Grado performance very good straight from my X-Fi. Don't let the lack of home amp sway you away from the RS2's. I don't know where to get a pair for $300.00, but if you can score a pair I'd say go with them. They are smoother than the 225's, which I think would suit "laying in bed" listening a bit better.

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihility /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why go for a 225 when ill just get an rs2 in 6 months to a year? i might as well go all out, heh.

why get the rs-2's when in 6 months to a year you'd go all out on a pair of RS-1's and then GS-1000's AHH! It just never stops! Take what you have and RUN!

But yes in all seriousness, as mentioned above do consider the Alessandro MS-2i's you can get them shipped for $299 directly from Alessandro High-End Products

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 58
Avoid comments suggesting a more neutral headphone (ie Alessandros). This shows a basic lack of understanding of Fletcher-Munson hearing curves.

If low volume listening, in bed, is what you want, I'd suggest the 325i out of those Grados. The 325 (no i), which are a much better looking silver design than the 325i, would also be a great choice but only if its going to be low volume exclusively because they do get piercing at high volume, but that's a drawback you'll have to settle with. The better it sounds at high volume, the worse at low volume, and vice-versa. And their heavy weight wouldnt even be a problem because you're lying down.

PS The 325i really do look disgusting.

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 58
imo, grados are not super nice, low volume, laying in bed listening to music type of headphones.
if you must go with grados, go with alessandro ms2 like guatam recommended above. i got a pair a few weeks ago, and i find them to be smoother and more relaxed(?) than grado sr325i.
it's $300 including priority shipping from alessandro.

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 58
I am auditioning all of the grados right now. the 225s are a sweet can. the 325i is a bit pointed for my taste. especially if your listening in bed, trying to relax. The rs2 is a much fuller sounding headphone. when put back to back, there is just more dimension with the rs2. The rs2 is also Soooo close to the rs1, that you probably wouldnt need to bother with ever upgrading. (many prefer the rs2 actually). of course we must consider that the rs2 is MUCH more expensive than the 225. so, for bed listening at low volume.. uh...... also, consider what you want to listen to in bed. I tend to like big warm ambient sound for laying in bed. but you have already decided on grados, so... Another option you could consider, is a used HF-1. Its kind of the go between for me in reference to the rs2 and 225. Plus, you might be able to find one for less then the rs2. just my 2c

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Avoid comments suggesting a more neutral headphone (ie Alessandros). This shows a basic lack of understanding of Fletcher-Munson hearing curves.

Why are you so mean...
frown.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
imo, grados are not super nice, low volume, laying in bed listening to music type of headphones.

What examples of certain types of headphones would be perfect for such listening preferences?

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you must go with grados, go with alessandro ms2 like guatam recommended above. i got a pair a few weeks ago, and i find them to be smoother and more relaxed(?) than grado sr325i.
it's $300 including priority shipping from alessandro.

tjumper nailed it.

The last thing I think about when im about to put on my Grados is laying in bed and listening to music at low volumes. Thats not to say Grados cant do the job, they most certainly can. However, you might want to (dare I say it) consider another brand for that type of listening experience.

Most of the Grado lineup will be too forward/aggressive for you, and IMO dont perform that well at low volume (with the exception of the GS and maybe RS1-the latter being a very sweet listen albeit well out of your price range).

As much I want to push the Grado name and product line since I am an avid user, your requirements for the right type of listen trumps all else and therefore compells me to make an alternate recommendation.

I would seriously consider the Sennheiser HD-595 (please keep the flaming to a minimum-im trying to help the guy out
wink.gif
)
Of all the Senns, this headphone most closely resembles the aggressive Grado sound, yet it better suits your listening needs with regard to comfort, volume and greater soundstage. Additionally, it is a low OHM can so there really is no need for an amp, right out the gates (although adding one later will really make it shine). Lastly, I believe it runs about $285. This is an incredibly well built and comfortable headphone...

I would buy this as your primary set and save up for a pair of Grados (specifically the 225's) for Rock/Metal.

Good luck and enjoy.

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 58
the rs2's are looking nice, so are the "ms2's"

thing is i only have paypal for ordering stuff online, do they accept paypal for alessandros?

i must remind everyone - my "relaxing" music consists of lots of rock/metal,

example: something like dream theater would be the most "relaxed" band i would be listening to at any given point.

headoom has rs2's for $455 shipped, so i might go there

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #13 of 58
If you're supine then HP weight is a consideration which rules out the SR325i/MS2 because they're made of metal and will slip off your head if they don't have the top of your head to support their weight. MS1s sound just as good and don't have the extra weight which makes them a much better choice for supine listening.

Jun 11, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #15 of 58
I have the SR225s, but my vote is for the RS2s. I don't think you will be disappointed with this choice and you they should make you smile for a good long while.

Also suggest buyng from a forum sponser. They support us and always nice to support them as well. I believ Todd the Vinyl Junkie is still offering a 10% discount to new customers + a 2% discount to newsletter subscribers. Headroom is another great sponser/dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back