Grado's w/ other genres?
Jul 15, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #16 of 32

Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone! I ordered them today. I am planning on getting the Fiio E7 DAC/Amp with them. Do you think that will be sufficient as I have heard they need to be driven.

You won't be dissapointed, the 225i's are a great phone. Also the E7 is a very good starting point for using your computer as a hifi (very good for the price, especially the dac). The little dot I+ amp is my current choice of amp with Grado's but you would need a seperate dac.  

Incidently, I used to have the the denon d2000's but I still have the 225i's.
wink.gif

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #17 of 32
yeah if i were to get the little dot I+ i would just use the E7 as a DAC only

Quote:
You won't be dissapointed, the 225i's are a great phone. Also the E7 is a very good starting point for using your computer as a hifi (very good for the price, especially the dac). The little dot I+ amp is my current choice of amp with Grado's but you would need a seperate dac.  

Incidently, I used to have the the denon d2000's but I still have the 225i's.
wink.gif

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #18 of 32

Quote:
yeah if i were to get the little dot I+ i would just use the E7 as a DAC only

just a word of caution, you cant just use the dac of the E7, it has 2 headphone outputs but they are both fed via the built in amp

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #20 of 32
There's an LOD for the E7 to bypass the amp.

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #22 of 32
SR-225's are the shizzle

Sometimes I like to pretend I'm in British bomber command during WW2 and yell nonsense over an imaginary radio while I'm wearing them

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #24 of 32

Quote:
it will be my first amp so ill be primarily using it at my home but will occasionally take it elsewhere mobile

I was just curious. The E7 looks like a great product. I was just thinking if your just going to use it at home maybe consider a desktop but the price of one of those E7's is pretty right on. Grado's are pretty easily driven and should pair up nicely with your new cans. Congratulations btw, enjoy! 

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #27 of 32

Quote:
Yep,  that's correct, but in this case he wants to get the E7 for its DAC function, running to a Little Dot amp.

That should actually sound pretty sweet

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #28 of 32
Hey I know its been a while but I thought I'd conclude with a status update with my headphones. They came in along with the E7 Amp/DAC about a week ago. They're definitely one of the best purchases I've ever made. I absolutely love them. The sound is so captivating that I sometimes can't stop listening to them. I often feel like the music is being played in my room, once actually taking off my headphones thinking that the music was playing through my stereo. Thanks for all the help regarding this purchase, it has been a great one.

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #29 of 32
grados are amazing. cant wait to buy my new set and get a good amp for them as ive never listend to them with an amp.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #30 of 32

Quote:
Hey guys I'm new here with posting but have been lurkin around for advice for a while. I had a decision made to buy the Grado 225i headphones with a Fiio E7 Amp and mabye buy the E9 if i felt it was appropriate. The problem is the more reviews i read the more the Grado's are recommended to Rock/Metal lovers. I like everything about the Grados but am hesitant to buy them because I listen to a variety of music. I came upon the Denon AHD-2000 while looking for more versatile headphones in the same pricerange. These are more expensive and I'd rather get the Grado's if they aren't a let-down in other genres of music. I listen to many types of rock mainly as well as electronic music.

I guess the main question here is will listening to other genres of music with the Grado's make me regret buying them? instead of the AHD2000 or other headphones that you could recommend to me

Here are some bands that I listen to: Phish, Grateful Dead, Sublime, STS9, Pretty Lights, My Morning Jacket.

All help appreciated! Will determine what I buy.

Thanks!

No it would not, i never heard the 225 but i've got 325 it sounds great, for disadvantage in other type of music only happens when you start really critical listening. I wouldn't worry about it. 
Buy a used one, and you can trade them here for other headphone when u wanna try new things. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back