Grado SR80i worthwhile mods?
Mar 16, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #31 of 42

Quote:
Imo, if you you are happy with the current sound signature the best thing you can do would be to upgrade your source/amp and perhaps a recable; changing the grill is a nice superficial mod, but doesn't affect the sound quality too much imho.

I found the best way to loosen the glue off was to cover the drivers with cling wrap and dip them in about 1/2 inch of boiling water in a shallow pan and leave them for ~10mins.

If you are going to make the holes, start with 1 hole on one cup and A/B compare them to the other cup, then if you like the change maybe make 2 and A/B again, etc, until you are happy with the sound. But again, I found it made the bass slightly bloated, if you are after a tigher bass I would not bother with making the holes.

Thanks for the tip! So I'm guessing even just 1 to 2 holes would ruin the tight bass. How about your opinion on damping the back of the driver?

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #32 of 42
This thread has def. helped with some answers I was looking for.  Question, a lot of people talk about woodies but I saw people were putting alu bodies on them.  Does anyone know how the sound compares? I am wanting to change bodies but I have not been able to find any good thread comparison between the two. 

Also what is the best tool/object to use to vent the driver?  Going to try to do all the mods at once to limit taking them apart too much lol... Sorry to hijack hopefully you all can help some. 

THANKS

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #33 of 42

Quote:
This thread has def. helped with some answers I was looking for.  Question, a lot of people talk about woodies but I saw people were putting alu bodies on them.  Does anyone know how the sound compares? I am wanting to change bodies but I have not been able to find any good thread comparison between the two. 

Also what is the best tool/object to use to vent the driver?  Going to try to do all the mods at once to limit taking them apart too much lol... Sorry to hijack hopefully you all can help some. 

THANKS

Can't answer about the alu shells, but I have cocobolo wood shells on mine and they work perfectly with my SR80i. I did not vent any holes, but you can do that with a ball point pen I believe. I also damped the back of the driver with a small square piece of dynamat.

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #34 of 42
Okay, fine, I'm a believer.

Lost my year-old SR80i's recently, and decided to try some mods on my new pair. Was very skeptical.

I replaced the plastic grilles with a thinner metal grille, poked 3.5 holes (three fully bored and one poked) behind the drivers and used the reverse quarter mod on the HD414 pads.

http://s18.postimg.org/ek0lmys15/photo.jpg

The newfound clarity and range of these cans is simply stunning. Opening the holes made the bass much fuller, but the reversed cushion puts the drivers just far enough away to avoid being muddy. The result is a much bigger, more daring sound than the stock headphones. As a consequence, there's a lot more leakage.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #35 of 42
Is there a way to reduce the bass on SR80i? I like a (very) bass-light sound. Note: I'm using stock S-cushions.

Besides that, what effect do HD414 pads have on the sound or is it for comfort?

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #36 of 42
Use similarly sized, but thinner cushions.
Or you can stuff some plastic in to the cups to reduce how much air the drivers move at a time back there, which should result in less bass.  Smooth pieces of plastic glued along the cup wall.  Felt is an alternative that will have other impacts on the sound that you may or may not like.

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #37 of 42
reduce the bass?  by FAR the easiest (mod) route would be to slap on some G-cush pads, they will open up the soundstage a fair amount which is nice, they also reduce the bass quite a bit so i don't use them much, i've only had them for a little bit.  the cheapest route is to use EQ to drop the bass...

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #38 of 42
Thank you both.

Use similarly sized, but thinner cushions.

Have you any in mind?

reduce the bass?  by FAR the easiest (mod) route would be to slap on some G-cush pads, they will open up the soundstage a fair amount which is nice, they also reduce the bass quite a bit so i don't use them much [...]

They look ridiculous but I'm willing to try.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #39 of 42
Feb 11, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #41 of 42
reduce the bass?  by FAR the easiest (mod) route would be to slap on some G-cush pads, they will open up the soundstage a fair amount which is nice, they also reduce the bass quite a bit so i don't use them much, i've only had them for a little bit.  the cheapest route is to use EQ to drop the bass...

I've been trying the G-cushions. They reduce the bass and increase the soundstage--as promised. They're also comfortable, and I think they actually look good. So thanks again.

Unfortunately, I started having a mild headache, possibly treble-induced. They also smell funny. Has anyone else had either of these issues with them?

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #42 of 42
Now that I'm using the G-cushions to reduce the bass, is there a mod to get the midrange back? 
biggrin.gif

Also, did your G-cushions have a funny industrial / chemical scent?

Thanks much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back