Grado SR80i cable mod
Nov 27, 2010 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mag_aral_ka

New Head-Fier
I just got my Grado SR-80i last week. I burned them in but I find the sound flat when it comes to vocals. I find that my Koss PortaPro (kramer modded) better in recreating warmer vocals. I was wondering if recabling my Grado Sr80i will help improve the overall sound quality of the phones. what do you think Guys? I am using Cowon A2 as the sound source.

Nov 27, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 8
the differences are almost inaudible even with expensive cables, cable mods usually change the bass a little depending on the cable used and not much else.  

recables are done for ego reasons and to make the stock cable more to your liking, shorter, less stiff ect ect.   I just recabled my 325i's and will be posting a topic/pics soon.  The cable made almost no difference, but I chose a 1.1meter cable for more portable flavor, as I walk around the house a lot with them on, sit here at the pc and game and such.  Awesome to keep my sans clip in my pocket and not have to worry about a giant adapter ontop of an already giant adapter head on the stock grados that will break my audio jack on my souce mp3 player, stock grado cables are annoying as all hell

Nov 28, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 8
oh... with that... I guess with sound as the reason... Changing cables is not necessary...
I guess I don't have to change my cables... 
o2smile.gif

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 8
In my theory/way, only change your cable when the cable snapped or buzzed XD

And upgrading from ordinary copper to pure copper does a very small upgrade (maybe 3%)

Upgrading from ordinary copper to pure silver does some serious changes depending on what headphones you use. You may even hate the upgraded sound because the signature doesn't suit you. But most people like them anyways (20% upgrade/downgrade)

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #7 of 8
Cables are the few things you have to believe in to hear, where as most people say "You gotta hear it to believe it!" Cables are the exact opposite.

I say upgrade the ophones or try a different brand: Senn, denon, and AKG could flesh out those vocals no problem.

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 8
i was thinking of re-cabling my sr80s with silver, because of the bilavideo mod thread. sounds like a good idea; better quality, thin, and i've always wanted to make my wire shorter so that i can use them in public without "breakin' necks." 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back